Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

what's new?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jakeman, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Since WoW activity is almost nothing right now, I thought I would create a thread where people can post about what have been up to.

I have been working insane hours at my online job for some extra cash. I am planning to build another PC soon which will cost quite a bit. I already bought the case because it is discontinued and is getting very hard to find.

PACT01B.jpg

It is the same case as my current system. I plan to get dual monitors like my current system too. So I will have a matching dual box quad head setup.

I am still living at my mom's house. It is interesting how people look down on me when I tell them that. They don't even know the specifics yet they immediately draw conclusions. I am completely self-sufficient and living in a back house. I am not a drain on my mom in any way... quite the contrary. My living situation might affect my social life if I had one, but I don't so whatever. I will move out soon, but I have good thing going here in the meantime.

My dad got owned by a car while on his bike. He has broken bones all over, but it's nothing that won't heal in a few months.

My grandpa is dying. The "at home" care and delegation of other responsibilities is causing tension among the siblings. I watched the same thing happen with my dad and his brother / sisters when his parents died. There seems to be an unspoken self-interest at work in these situations, like old skool Baal runs with everyone camping the corpse before death so they can ninja the loot.

My brother is still in school. He is getting a CS degree too. He has been obsessing over a game called guitar hero. It's a shitty game but people play it like a drug addiction.

My hair is thinning.

I am taking up weight training again after stopping for about 2 months. Pain.

2. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    Sorry to hear about the ills in your family. My sincere condolences, I'm not looking forward to dealing with those issues when they arise in my life.

I'm in my third year of mechanical engineering at Queen's University. This semester is by far the hardest I've had, with nine courses. However I've also joined the Queen's Bands, the marching band that follows the football team and does other special events. Technically I'm with the Queen's Bands cheerleaders, the fourth section of the bands, besides the pipe band, the drum band and the brass band. Yes, I'm a cheerleader...

The bands seem to be "my" group on campus; I've never felt like I really belonged in any other university club or organization, but the bands are like the family I never had. It's really quite spectacular and I'm thankful I found them. I'm just sorry it took until third year before I joined.

[​IMG]

I'm in a new apartment with three other people, and we all get along pretty well. Unless anything seriously bad happens we'll probably stay together next year, which is comforting.

I really haven't had too much time to myself recently... between school and the bands, I have maybe five hours a week to myself, which is really just relax time.

I've been dating a girl I met while working for the campus humour paper, (http://www.goldenwords.net/, you should all check it out because it's hilarious) we've been together since around December. She's pretty low maintenance, and we're also both in bands so we don't need to take time out of our social lives to be together. And she likes it in the bum so that's another bonus.

Cheerleading is really physically intense so I'm having to weight train like never before. It may not seem like much, but we essentially have to do 120lb military presses when we're T-lifting the girls, not to mention the other stabilization that's required when doing pyramids, etc.

I don't get Guitar Hero. It's DDR with your hands. Nobody cares that you can do a song on expert. Shut up.

3. AJ

AJ Peasant

Market Rating:
    Hey!

So, I am in no fashion a regular around these parts. But while doing my typical early-morning rounds I felt the urge to come check the place out again.

As for me, I'm working on an Engineering degree at the University of Illinois -- and all the while trying to not get kicked out. The courseload is incredible; seems like each and every semester is jam-packed with as many hours as they could ask a student to take.

In the mean time I've been getting more and more excited about Starcraft II. I had the opportunity to be flown out to Irvine for BlizzCon and meet with Dustin and the developers, Samwise, etc -- it was all in all a pretty amazing time. SC2 is awesome! :)

Besides that, it looks like I'll be moving in with my girlfriend of almost 4 years in several months. Excited about that, definitely looking forward to being able to cut costs and save some money together -- things are pretty expensive down on campus.

Oh, and watching my Illini go 2-0 in the Big Ten. Woo, didn't see that coming!

4. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    I am also sorry to here about the illness and injury. I know what you mean about camping the corpse - nothing that I have seen can rip apart families quite so fast. It is sad.

We have just moved to a small village in Michigan. Everyone here asks us why we moved here, and the best answer is simply that we wanted to. The people are friendly, the schools are great, and we are looking forward to snow. Jobs will have to be found at some point though. ;)

I have had almost no gaming time to speak of since coming here. Putting together the house - unpacking, painting, etc. is a full time job. We only have one computer set up still, so it gets used for kids homework most of the time. I was also the only parent here for the first month - glad that is over.

I don't get Guitar Hero either - play for real or don't bother.

5. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    Hi there... I keep checking in once in awhile.

Been working quite a bit of freelance hours on multiple projects, with more coming in all the time (freelancers love work that finds them :) ).

Been doing alot with the kids as they get older. Son is in 2nd year high school and he's going to go out for track in November and takes the guitar. Daughter is the busy one. She's in three dance classes, cheerleading (2 nights a week plus game day), piano lessons, and CCD classes. I'm too damn busy being the taxi driver and trying to find time to get my own work done during the day and late evening, that time is of little availability.

There was alot of remodeling going on earlier in the year, so now I am doing all the mop up work (ie: moldings, staining doors, filling nail hoes and touchup painting, recaulking bathrooms, etc...).

Kids injuries are keeping me in the car between hopme, pediatricians, orthopedists,and the hospital.... Son with tendon and ligament damage to his hand from extreme rollerblading stunts... Daughter went down with an emergency appendicitis to start the summer with, then went for the trifecta with a thumb injury, sprained ankel, and now tendon injuries and compression fracture of her wrist (thumb and wrist from cheerleading—tough sport, go figure...).

hehe...both kids arms are currently encased in fiberglass casts (right on son, left on daughter)...

We went to Arizona in June, and are currently awaiting our much anticipated Disney Cruise in November...

PS: Both kids want guitar Hero, too...

6. Calendryll

Calendryll MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    I feel for you Jake and I hope your father is okay. Some of my current friends still live with their parents as well Jake. Unless you are married or just "hate" living with your parents there isn't much of a reason to move out. (I should say they all support themselves fully as well.) I still miss all of our rantings and jibes at one another in WoW. /wipe tear

I quit my insurance job some time ago and started working as an air travel coordinator for a local corporation. Yes, it's a boring job but stressful at times. I continue to look for something that will make me "happier" but I'm coming to the conclusion that I won't ever be happy working for someone else. I'm not totally complaining though; it's a good job.

My father had a heart attack about a month ago and he's still recovering but doing well. My grandmother is in failing health and I don't visit her nearly as much as I should. I feel really bad about it but it's easy to get caught up in your own life's events. Being selfish isn't how I want to portray myself but I'm being realistic.

I've picked up a new weekend hobby: paintball. I've never had so much fun acting like a child, lol. I've got a good group of new friends I hang out with so I don't feel quite as empty inside without all of you. (Joking, but not completely.)

Hopefully, another game comes out sometime that will allow me to link back up with everyone. I've tried a few times and I just can't get back into WoW. At least not at this time.

(I should mention that I've been playing on my 360 a lot lately. Bioshock and Halo 3 have me a little hooked.)

7. ColdHeat

ColdHeat MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    Sorry about father, My grandfather just got out of the hospital with heart problems.
    My brother now has a second kid.

I Started school Aug 21st as you all know. Gotta new job instead of kmart at a local Keystone automotive Was a nice switch 10 less hours a week and bring home the same pay.

I sold my motorcycle and bought a car which turned into more of a project then i expected.

Basicly my day goes school work Halo 3and car then sleep.

Thats about it... for me and new stuff... i gotta Halo 3 edition xbox 360 its sexy.

And my gamertag is "TheCrappyHornet".

Heres the time sucker...
    [​IMG]
    Current problem Blew the engine so rebuild it and paint the engine bay and front suspion.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Chanta

Chanta MSC Knight

Market Rating:
    I'm sorry to hear about your dad and your grandpa, Jake.

I have a grandma that I see once a year, if that. She has altzheimer's and is very weak. I wish I could visit her more often before that day comes, but she's 2 states away from me.

Anyway, I just recently started a system administration job last month. So work has been busy for me with training, meeting new people, etc.

I've also been trying to hang out with my 3 year old that cries out for attention all the time. He's also very stubborn and wants his way all the time.
    In about 7 months, I should be having another little one. So I haven't been feeling up to par for the past couple months. Been sick, tired, run down, etc.

I still check the forum occasionally and I log onto WoW to say hi to everyone that's on. It's always nice to chat with people.

Hitometer: 54,593,347 since 1995