Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

What Makes you feel POWERFULLY?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by FlasherMXer, Feb 16, 2003.

1. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    The geographical knowledge of north american students is, as you said, very poor. But only because the rest of the world doesn't matter. Sure it's nice to know where Shewinigan is in case you're on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?", but other than that the knowledge is useless.

I'm talking about city names, not countries. If you don't know where Europe/Asia/North America/Iceland is you're pathetic.

If you don't know where actual countries are inside that region it's still pretty bad, but you can get by.

The best bet is to familiarize yourself with important cities and countries, AKA North America, Europe and Asia. Other than that, I don't see the necessity.

2. kraahl

kraahl Peasant

Market Rating:
    I agree.

3. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    It was some sort of branded bar type chocolate, but it was like eating Bakers Chocolate. Let me just say that if you are expecting a sweet bite of chocolate and get some bitter instead...

Another thing I have found good to avoid is Russian Liquorish(sp). THEY PUT FRIGGIN SEA SALT on the damn things.

4. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yup, not too mention Waikiki is a disaster. Some little known facts:

1. Waikiki was a swamp. they drained it out and built it up. The AlaWai canal keeps it from flooding....barely.

2. The sand on Waikiki Beach is imported from California. It gets eroded away ever summer when the waves are on the southside of the island, and gets shipped in every year.

3. The airport runway is built on garbage, literally. They piled a landfill out from the island, paved it and now land planes on it.

4. The inside of Diamond Head is a military storage area, and Diamond Head is a "dormant" volcano crater.

But other than that Hawaii is nice. North Shore is the best, I saw some killer waves there in the winter. And went to Maui twice, that was the best. Rent a Jeep and drive around the island. Tons of waterfalls.

5. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    I lived in Hawaii for 4 years. I like snow better. :D

The North shore is/was my favorite place to go in Hawaii though too. I went diving in shark's cove many times.

If you turn left when you get to the N side instead of right like everyone else, you can drive out to an old airfield with a scout camp across the street from it. There are some fantastic, nearly deserted beaches out there. One day I went out there by myself and spent 4 hours without seeing another soul. Rare on a little island.

6. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    I spent alot of time at the Wyland gallery on the North Shore. Found a few deserted beaches too. One was behind a wall built to protect the road from the waves/sand. Before I moved I noticed they took it down though. It was a little bit before the Polynesian Cultural Center.

I lived there 2 years, ended up spending most of my time on Pearl playing pool in the enlisted club. Worked on a dinner cruis ship as a deckhand (I had the spring line, and was the only girl. I worked hard to get that line. It's the first one that goes on when coming back in and last to untie)

I ended up running away with the first guy who I thought I "loved" and moved to Houston with him. That lasted a whole 6 months, but what a learning experience.

One of my favorite places was out by Kaneohai (cant remember spelling) Marine base, the Japanse temple gardens. They had sparrows that ate out of your hand, tons of carp and peacocks walking around. Really nice, quiet place.

7. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    We bought some stuff from that Wyland gallery. We have two Tabora prints, and two Wylands. My wife has a whale tail necklace too.

I never went to the regular enlisted club - just the one on subbase. We usually tied up a short walk from there, so it was good for lunch (to avoid boat food).

8. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    hmmm boat food. :drool: :rolleyes:

It's been like 9 years since I was there. My dad was stationed at Sand Island, was the CO there. (Me Coast Guard brat, and the worst kind, Officer brat). He retired shortly after going to Baltimore. Don't blame him. He wasn't doing Engineering anymore, had desk jobs and got bored. His best fun was being Engineering Officer on the ships in Astoria,OR (gawd I forget their names. One was Resolute)

Then I went and married an Air Force guy. :D

9. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    Oh, a military family, eh?

10. kraahl

kraahl Peasant

Market Rating:
    How does that feel, in days of war? Your husband might get sent away.

11. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    Don't worry too much about it. Only 19 american soldiers died in Iraq in 1991, So I hear. The military has been very good about not risking servicemen's lives.

12. Beeble

Beeble Peasant

Market Rating:
    Republican Guard + Urban Warfare = Certain Death of US Soldiers.

13. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    yeah urban warfare blows teh major

14. Beeble

Beeble Peasant

Market Rating:
    I suggested to a friend on AIM that we create cyborgs and gather the best CS players to control them remotely.

15. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    Actually he's out now. But if he were still in, of course I'd worry. But I'd also know he was protecting his country.

When I was growing up, my dad was out to sea alot. I never really knew what he did out there, but most of it was coastal patrols. His ship did help a merchant fishing vessel once that drifted into Russian waters (by Alaska) during the Cold War, and it could have been a tense situation. The thought never crossed my mind that he might not come home someday. I just always assumed he would.

It's almost the same thing now, if Jesse were still in. If he left for war, I'd just plan for when he came home and not dwell on that fact he could die. I couldn't afford to do that, my kids would sense it. If something bad happened, I couldn't honestly say how I'd react, because you really can't until it happens. I would be devestated to be sure, but proud of his acomplishments.
    Also, before we met he fixed planes for Special Ops, which meant he flew with the planes, which put him in places where there could be danger. I know he's been places where he could have been hurt, war time is not the only dangerous time for a military person.

16. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    We would own the Republican Guard in urban, desert warfare, or anywhere warfare. Whoever is toting the idea that U.S. troops will be slaughtered is ignoring every military action the U.S. has undertaken in the last 20 years, and that since then our technology and training has only improved.

17. kraahl

kraahl Peasant

Market Rating:
    True, you still cannot win against a force using guerilla tactics.

18. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Not that I condone going into Iraq, since I for one am not convinced the reasons are anything other than a hoped for perpetuation of artificially high approval ratings...

That being said, we'd whip Iraq's military in 5 weeks tops, urban warfare or no.

19. Kaeric

Kaeric Peasant

Market Rating:
    hrm...intereasting idea :nod:

20. Beeble

Beeble Peasant

Market Rating:
    give em AWPs too. :stupid2:

Hitometer: 54,601,954 since 1995