Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

What a crock

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by cowofwar, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Wran

Wran Peasant

Market Rating:
    Cow is rather outspoken, but he makes some good points.

My wife and I were talking about this the other day. Did 9/11 change anything about the way we live our lives? Not really.

My sister lives in Manhattan, my friend's sister died because her company told her to stay put, nothing is wrong. My other friend's son walked some 78 floors and made it out.

It was a tragedy, but there are many tragedies that go on everyday.

--The one thing I might disagree with Cow is regarding his general attitude. We can make a big difference with little things. It is nice to find people and to have friends who do have compassion and understanding for others. Let me give you a simple example.

In Diablo, there are plenty of ten year olds (at least in maturity) that run around and try to steal all your drops etc...., but I've also met many generous people who have given me cool stuff and have helped me a great deal, and in return I also try to find cool people to play with and help them as much as I can too.

That's also what's good about having a community of friends that you can trust, and that's one reason why we are all here.

We can make a difference, but it should be something we do every day and with all people.

Let me give you just one more example from my personal experience. I used to completely blow off people and practically give the finger to anyone who used to try to hand me stuff on the street. Well one day I was volunteering for a group and was trying to hand out those flyers about some fund raising event. Well, it didn't feel so nice getting the treatment I gave those other people. Now I try my best to treat everyone with some respect and dignity no matter what they are doing. This is not an easy thing, and it's not anything heroic, but it might make the world a better place, even if it's only a little bit. What I'm saying is that we need to do what we can at whatever level we can.

Wran

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    killing a bunch of people to stop a bunch of people from getting killed. *cough!*

nuking japan was stupid. i'm speaking in terms of ideals here. the ideal solution is for both countries to stop being immature and agree to stop fighting. countries need to talk to eachother, tell eachother what each one wants out of a situation and work together to that end.

i am reminded of the movie "sum of all fears." god what a piece of **** movie. i keep telling myself the administration of the US is not that stupid and lame, but i know better. :(

3. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    The americans fired the first shot. The sunk a japanese mini sub just off the coast a few hours before the planes attacked. The japanese attack wasn't a retaliation for the sunk sub because everything was planned before the sub was sunk, but contrary to popular belief, the americans did fire the first shot.

4. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Ideal != reality. The japanese had extreme pride and would have continued to fight until the bitter end if so commanded. The nukes did save many lives, the fact that those lives were all allied, and at the cost of japanese citizens was besides the point. In that case it was for the greater good.

5. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    what did the japanese want out of the situation? did japan have a war boner or was there actually a point to the fighting? these are the questions that should be asked.

ideal should equal reality... unfortunately it seems like no one strives for ideals anymore. we are blind.

6. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    o cow i love u... for the second time in our lives i agree whole heartedly with you :cry:. i never gave a damn about all the people who died sept 11. i only grieve for people close to me who die. i'll bet half of the people in the us (majority stupid people) only pretend to care. i'm leaning toward being anti-american (as in anti-sex for u cow). who wants to be a patriot to this caca country anyway. americans are hypocrits. they call this bull**** "the war on terrorrism" and they're bombing random people in a country that's defenseless

7. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2002
  8. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Lot of hypocrisy above.

9. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    no no no. never accuse without explanation. please explain. i'm curious.

10. angus_prune

angus_prune Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:

At the time of the bombings Japan was ready to negotiate a surrender. All they wanted was that the Emperor would be spared from any punishment. The bombs were nothing more than a cynical and unnecessary test of their capabilities.

11. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    I remember you on at least one occasion saying "lots o BS" in a religious thread without explanation.

However, in this thread, here's an instance: you want everyone to have ideals in their lives. Which ideals would those be? Yours? I idealize compassion, and yet your logic adopts a more stoic point of view to most situations.

12. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Interesting, all of the biographies that I've watched and read have said otherwise. After the first bomb detonated Japan felt the terrible blow but resolved to fight with a renewed strength against the americans because they believed that the americans only had one of these "mega" bombs. After the second, Japan unconditionally surrendered because they felt they had no choice. They didn't know how many bombs america had and at that point it seemed like they weren't afraid to use them.

The irony is that the USA only had, in fact, those two bombs.

13. aleldtritch

aleldtritch Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yes, Patriot Day is an insultingly stupid idea, and promotes all the negative aspects of the "American Way" but you don't have to be a dick about it. I hate people who say it wasn't a tragedy. Sure, statistically it wasn't the most horrible event ever, but it was bad, and it did affect the world.

But I too am sick of it being in the news. And I hate people who say "Nine One One". I hate alot of people.

14. angus_prune

angus_prune Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:

Not written/produced by Americans who had a interest in defending the USA's actions of course.

15. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    eh? i think that was spike's line. damn he sucked.

ideal are subjective. but i think it's safe to assume that most people consider an ideal solution to be one that results in the most good, also subjective. i also think it's safe to say that most people consider mass murder to be not good, or not ideal. there are tons of other courses of action the US and japan could have taken to resolve WW2 in a peaceful manner. unfortunately people get so caught up with their own pride that they can't see the whole picture.

16. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    i agree it was a tragedy (sept 11 or nine one one for u aleld), and if i could push a button to bring back all those people i would. i'm sure their families are really sad. but the only things i really miss are those cool looking buildings. and wasn't that plane the crashed in pa headed for mr. bush? too bad it didn't make it. then the people who would've died in that plane would in that case be heroes lol, dying for the death of bush is worth a few lives (not mine of course :D).
    i don't know much about what happened with the bombing on japan, but from what i've heard, i'd say it was simply to test a new toy.

17. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Tragedy is when I cut my finger.

That's probable, it wouldn't be the first time that the americans have altered history to save face.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2002
  18. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    Crap. The US has ships massed in the Persian Gulf now... So dumb.

19. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:

UGH

20. Beeble

Beeble Peasant

Market Rating:
    Pathetic. :rolleyes:

Hitometer: 54,593,309 since 1995