Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Web Hosting Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by harleyb, Oct 1, 2008.

1. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    Hey guys and gals. I haven't had to look into web hosting for about five years now, so I'm pretty far out of the game. I'm looking for your opinions on hosting companies for two different purposes:

The first is a very high-traffic vB forum, I'm talking 100+GB/month in just PHP/HTML, 1200+ users a day; it practically requires extensive MySQL tweaks, so I'm guessing that a VPS or dedicated server is really the only option... if I'm wrong, please tell me.

The second is relatively lower traffic but will probably require higher monthly bandwidth.

Previously I would have gone with www.asmallorange.com but their prices seem kind of high to me. Thoughts? Suggestions? Please, let me know!

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Yeah I would recommend a dedicated server. This is my host:

http://www.theplanet.com/

They deal in dedicated servers. They have several entry level dedicated servers for relatively cheap that should be able to support your site.

3. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    Great! I knew they were the shit back in the day, but I thought stuff had changed greatly since then. I'll probably end up going with ASO for the other sites, I've had pretty damn good experience with them and their prices for non-dedicated stuff are pretty good.

4. Jaco

Jaco Peasant

Market Rating:
    and if you're bored you can bullshit with one of their reps using their online chat
    very futuristic!

5. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    Update: We decided to go with ASmallOrange for everything, using their Enterprise VPS. If we need more capacity, we'll go straight to a dedicated server with ThePlanet.

However, we're having a heck of a time tweaking vBulletin on the new server... The original owner still hasn't given us the vB registration info yet so we can't upgrade the forum, or get official support (which would be really helpful right now).

6. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    If he gives you the customer # and password then you can use that to manage the license and upgrade the forum. The other option is to do a proper transfer of ownership where you get your own customer login. To transfer the license the current owner needs to email sales@vbulletin.com, then we reply back with a list of things we need to verify, including the name and email address of the new owner.

7. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    Good to know! I'll get on the dude's back to do the transfer. Thanks!

Hitometer: 54,730,896 since 1995