Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Watchmen

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jakeman, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I was not looking forward to this movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0409459/

I prejudged it to be shit because it's the same director as 300 which was shit, and because the trailer had no substance which reinforced my perception of shit. But then this little morsel caught my interest:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Movies/02/03/watchmen.background/index.html

Sounds promising.

"Depth of characterization." 300 could have used some of that. All cock and no balls as I like to say.

I never do recreational reading, but I am considering reading Watchmen.

2. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    it's a good story, but a little outdated.

The writer (Alan Moore) wrote the graphic novels that a few movies are based on.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
    V for Vendetta
    From Hell

3. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    I might have to quit your board after hearing this, but it's also a lie...because if you just read this post, this is recreational reading.

Although, I may also find it insulting that you viewed the Blizzard message boards as having more value to your life than say Italo Calvino, Gabriel Garcia Marquez or Haruki Murakami.

I also wouldn't trust those lists, Time probably thought they needed to include a comic book of some sort because of their popularity and thought this was the only one worth mentioning.

And on an added note, how could you be a sci-fi fan without having read Neuromancer, or The Diamond Age or Ender's Game?

I'm sad now :(

4. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    The WoW forums are more fun. It's like a choose your own adventure book, except all of the characters are egotistical maniacs. :laugh:

I just never found novels to be very engaging. I always had problems with attention span and eye headaches when reading novels.

My sci-finess is mostly limited to the trek universe.

5. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    I guess reading isn't for everyone...and I'm just a snobbish literary elitist.

But when/if I finally finish the projects I'm working on, could you do me a solid and try to power through one...just one, for me :)

6. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Just saw the movie. It was excellent. Some of the sexual elements ****ed me up, but overall it was very enjoyable.

It was strange to see a beautiful naked male character. Naked men aren't usually portrayed that way. The penis wasn't distracting at all, and they usually are.

Hitometer: 54,655,069 since 1995