Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

US vs Iraq

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jakeman, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Let's hear everyone's opinion on this situation.

I understand why we might want to take control of the situation over there, but we have 120,000 troops in Iraq now... talk about an aggressive stance. I think the US is going to be the instigator of a future war on Iraq.

...and here's me, a 21 year old male, US citizen. I'm ripe for the draft. :distress:

2. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    You won't get drafted, this isn't World War 3, calm down man.

In my opinion Saddam does have weapons, and they're either hidden in rural areas in Iraq or they're in Syria while the inspectors visit the country. I think Blix was right when he said their declaration wasn't complete, they did a good cover up job, but they missed a few ends (missile tubes for industrial purposes?).

Unlike the majority of militantly argumentative Americans, I have some faith in my government still. I believe them when they say they have intelligence proving Iraq has said weapons of mass destruction, because they've used chemical and biological devices before and it's not likely they've gotten rid of them. I do think, however, that the CIA and NSA should be sharing all pertinent intelligence with the U.N. inspection teams. If Bush wants to justify his war to the Muslim community, which I think should be done, then some weapons need to be found, otherwise it'll be seen universally as an unwarranted attack, and definitely perceived by Islamic extremists as an attack on their religion.

I must admit, it has gone on a little while now with nothing found, but the government hasn't been too forthcoming in sharing with the U.N.. At this point I still think they have something, but they're making a mistake in not at least privately disclosing it to the inspection team.

3. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
  4. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yes. I watched a interview on CBC with a guy who had been in North Korea taking photographs, etc... The capital city is nice but the rest of the country is kept in the dark ages. You can get put into prison if they catch you being photographed. All this and the moron threatens war and this new nuclear incident. They're the real threat.

5. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    Oh we can handle two wars... It's called bomb the SOB's... Course I think we should just leave Korea alone because South Korea seems to hate how we tried to help anyway

6. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
  7. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    Its funny, I have a friend at college who is from Pakistan (yeah off topic I know), and he was told all sorts of **** about America/Canada (yeah even Canada) and now that he's been over here for a while he is wondering what the big deal was... He said its just like everywhere else and can't understand why everyone makes such a big deal about us...

8. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    Very true. I don't see a draft happening from this stuff either. Possible, but very unlikely.
    Yup. Syria was mentioned as a possibility on the news recently.

The problem with sharing all intel - is that then the sources are most likely going to be compromised, preventing further intelligence gathering. This has always been the catch-22 of our intelligence community. The best way to find out if we have real good hard intelligence, is to listen to the congressmen on the intelligence committees. They get the good info - so if the democrats on those committees aren't speaking out against our stance, then they have most likely seen the real intel.

They did have some meetings last week, so hopefully something was shared. BTW, I'm certainly not a fan of war, but I really don't want Saddam having access to nukes or chem/bio weapons either. It sounds like there is some diplomatic stuff going on in Korea (energy help from us) that may diffuse that situation. We can only hope that they get it right.

9. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    Alot of countries hate us because we have freedom, and a standard of living that seems far out of reach to alot of 3rd world countries. Sad thing is, the leaders of those countries keep their countries poor, it's easier to control poorly educated, starving people and make them believe we're evil because we have what they don't. Course the leaders live in nice palaces and own $45 million dollar Gulfstream jets.

came across this too, thought it was all too true.

http://www.unitednothing.org/cannibals.asp

10. SuperStar

SuperStar Peasant

Market Rating:
  11. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Does the US have nukes? If we are going to tell other countries they can't have nukes, then we should get rid of ours first... practice what we preech. Some one has to initiate trust.

12. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    That's what they've been slowly doing for the last two decades. Slowly reducing them at the same pace of their former enemies. It wouldn't be intelligent to get rid of them all until you have a good missile defense system though. China would be able to dictate anything they wanted then.

It's not so much a practice what you preach thing as it is a "we don't want anymore people in this messy nuclear balance game". Reducing does show that they are moving towards practicing what they preach though.

13. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    That will never happen. And the main reason is, there will always be a country that is a threat. Who's going to attack us if they know what could happen in retaliation.
    We will ever use em, I doubt it seriously. But just knowing we have em, that's just as good.
    There's a big difference between us having nukes and Iraq or Korea. Every country is entittled to protect itself against enemies, but I think everyone is afraid that Saddam would use weapons like that without much hesitation and without much thought for consquences.

14. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Look at this situation from Korea or Iraq's perspective. We want nukes to protect ourselves and so do they. But then the US comes in and says, "no, you can't have nukes."

How does it look when a nuclear power says you can't have nukes? If I was Korea or Iraq I would feel threatened and want nukes even more.

Let's get our missile defense up and get rid of our nukes. In an ideal world that would work. Unfortunately the world is full of bastards.

masturbation i say :p

15. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    Starwars!!

there will never be full nuclear disarmament (heh, until something is discovered that is more destructive). countries like Iraq would most likely have hidden/secret weapons and we would, too.

16. Mentosman24

Mentosman24 Peasant

Market Rating:
    Considering you probably have a hump in your back like the rest of us from improper posture at the computer, they'll never take you as far as handling firearms is concerned :rofl:

Like me, you'll have janitor duty somewhere in Bumble____ New Jersey.

17. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    Hunchbacks make great launch platforms for TOW missile launchers.

18. kraahl

kraahl Peasant

Market Rating:
    The Starwars defence systems is dangerous, it twists the delicate balance. If the US has a working anti-missile-defence system they (you...) can do whatever you want, none would be able to stop you.
    That, my friends, is dangerous.

How long did it take for the "western" countries to develop democracy?
    A LONG TIME! Will it work to force democracy on other countries? Will that democracy work? No it will not.
    Democracy is still not working as it should in Russia, and they had a rather smooth translation about 10 years ago.
    How the phuck are "democracy" supposed to work in Afghanistan and Iraq and North Korea? It won´t work.
    First you bomb the country to pieces (and the people, using cluster bombs), then you say "everyone has the right to vote". Then you pump some cash into the country to help rebuild.
    It does not work. War only creates more suffering and pain, it eases none! We hear about it every day, suicide bombings on israelian targets. Revenge-actions by israelian military. This is the same thing, the revenge spawn more suicide bombings etc. etc.
    You cannot defeat terrorism, it´s impossible. Terrorism is the way of the oppressed to fight. You may call it whatever you want, but a small group "waging war" against a larger group must use extreme methods.
    In the days of the "Boston tea party" americans themselves used guerilla warfare, today labeled terrorism.

There is also another fact that must be taken into count. A lot of nations have nuclear weapons, only one has ever used them. That country is the same that want´s to be the "police of the world" etc. etc.
    I guessed right, USA.

I close by saying, "War is stupid and serves no purpose" and "Phuck Bush" He´s just as insane as that North Korean guy.

19. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    dumping_tea != killing;

20. kraahl

kraahl Peasant

Market Rating:
    You kill the tea, it needs hot water to survive!

I don´t claim to know a lot about american history. But you did fight a war for independece against mainly G.B. In a war you don´t fight to be brave and to fight fair, you fight to win.
    So does the talibans, so did you. And so will Iraq and North Korea. "All is fair in love and war"
    All that matters is wether you win or not, if you fight dishonorable has nothing to do with it. If killing innocent means winning the war (or just hurt the opponent), most people and most nations will do just that.
    America did, do and will!

Hitometer: 54,657,531 since 1995