Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Trade Skills: after thoughts

Discussion in 'Character Building' started by Kathleen, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Kathleen

Kathleen MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    At lvl 20 I began Herbalism/Alchemy for a quest and now I wish I had put worth the effort from the very beginning. After all that was my original plan. Instead, I ended the game at lvl 23 as an Expert in Fishing, which is not only a excellent money making skill (thanks Unshra), but a great social skill as well. Very relaxing, just fishing and conversation.

What originally turned me off from Herbalism was the gathering (searching) aspect, but I soon realized that you aquire a Find Herbs ability that indicates where nearby herbs are on the minimap. It’s actually quite fun collecting! And Alchemy has a book of formulas or recipes if you will of various potions and their necessary components. So there is no guess work involved in either. Something I also noticed is that HP/MP potions can be used during combat, while HP/MP food and drink items cannot.

2. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yeah, alchemy is really nice for the ability to make potions.

3. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    I did Herbalism/Alchemy too. I found it very useful as well.

4. Unshra

Unshra Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    You got me into fishing silly, and for that the bellies of Kitty and Elite Dino thank you (Demon Mutt was never happy so I never feed him) ^_^.

I have also considered Herbalism/Alchemy for the same reason of HP/MP (even with the recharge time) and that it would be great money. Yet I've decided that if I stick with Hunter I'll take Skinning/Leatherworking and make my money with kits, once I hit 20 I'll change over to Mining/Blacksmithing. Again that's if I stick with hunter (which I just might) and if I do I'll be sure to visit Kat's House of herbs :p. If I go with Mage then no doubt I'll go the Herbalism/Alchemy route.

5. BaleFire

BaleFire MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    My hunter ended up at level 10 with 50 something in mining and engineering, not being too high level, I couldn't make that much cool stuff, but I did make myself a rough boomstick or something which was much better than the ornate blunderbuss sold at the store. Engineering looks like a very cool one with the ability to make mechanical squirrels/chickens/dragons etc. along with guns, scopes, explosives, shrink rays, net guns, and all sorts of wacky stuff. You can't really sell the stuff to other players though since most of the items require engineering to use.

My level 8 warlock had tailoring and fishing, I didn't get fishing high enough to find anything particularly cool, but I made an armor 20 robe with +1 spirit along with a bunch of gloves, belts, etc.

I'm thinking that for a gun using hunter, I'd do mining/engineering again.
    For the chain armor wearing classes mining/blacksmithing.
    Skinning/leatherworking for the leather armor wearing guys.
    Herbalism/alchemy for mages and priests.
    Tailoring/fishing for warlocks as I don't think they'll need potions with life tap and drain life.

6. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    I'm looking forward to the new skill system because currently the crafting sucks. By the time I've collected enough leather and crap to get my leatherworking at the stage where I can craft crappy leather I can just buy cured leather instead and get twice the armor bonus. So hopefully after this patch you wont have to train it up slowly, you can just buy the new recipes.

7. Kathleen

Kathleen MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    I was aware of that, but didn’t really consider the money making aspect until you mentioned your experience with the clams. I ended the game with well over 10G, thanks to fishing. Believe it or not, I never saved either. I purchased the most expensive armour, weapons, and items available to me.

8. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    :eek:

I had no idea you could make that much money fishing.

9. Unshra

Unshra Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Ah forgot about the pearls :p So did you go to the one area we talked about as I was getting a hell of a load there, basicly doing what you did upgrading and all around blowing my money. ^_^

10. Kathleen

Kathleen MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    Yes, indeed I did ;)

11. Kathleen

Kathleen MSC Footman

Market Rating:

Hitometer: 54,723,662 since 1995