Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Too bad...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Haite, Jun 2, 2002.

1. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
  2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    some people don't understand moderation :rolleyes:

3. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    ...or some people are obsessive compulsive / manic depressent.

--Haite

4. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    The game didn't cause it, he already had pre-existing problems that had to be dealt with.

5. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Actually, the game probably helped him. By the sound of it he was reclusive and had no social skills whatsoever. No friends, withdrawn from society. The game provided anomnimity for him and online people to communicate with.

What would he have done otherwise? Worked in a dead-end job, no future, no friends? He would have probably shot himself long ago.

6. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    I don't know about him shooting himself long ago but it's obvious that his life was building up to it, even before the game. I agree with Cow when he says that the game probably brought him the social atmosphere that he was looking for. It was the sudden rejection from this society, (if the story is correct), that brought him back to the path to destruction. I understand that his mother is upset and all, (who wouldn't be?), but she should think about what she has stated.

If her son was jilted online, it is then obviously not Sony's fault but a combination of whatever events led him into his socially weaked state, the person(people) who may have jilted him and perhaps even his own family to a small degree. (Though the last one is really very much in doubt comparitively.) Why people lose all sense of logic when they lose a loved one, I'll probably never know. Probably just the pain causing them to lash out at the first easy target I guess... :sad:

I feel sorry for the guy. I myself lead a simple life of video games, work and the ocasional social endevor but I do have friends and I don't play games 20 hrs per day or anything. Whenever a friend asks me to go camping I do so with no regrets towards losing game time and yet at the same time I equally enjoy my solitary lifestyle. Balance is indeed the way to go. Works for me at least.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2002
  7. Mentosman24

Mentosman24 Peasant

Market Rating:
    If they had changed the location of his computer, things would have probably been different.

8. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    sad... i'm very confused about my theory and all of my others too. i keep finding ways to contradict myself, and life is confusion. But i said at one point, that it's best to avoid highs like drugs (gaming would qualify) to attain those greater like jumping out of a plane or love. I feel for that guy, i played D2 for the exact same reason. for a while, i had no friends (still don't kinda). i was very bad socially, and i was simply depressed. i closed myself off from my family and played d2 for hours. it was a way to forget about my life and problems. I do place some blame on the game however. he did already have problems, but gaming was not the right treatment. gaming isn't and wasn't enough to satisty his needs, so he eventually killed himself. if i ever did have a friend over, i would play D2, and he wouldn't wanna come over again. if my family went out to see a movie, i'd stay home to play D2, but i then regretted not going with them. gaming is NOT like any other entertainment. I think myself and many felt drawn to dungeons and dragons, because face it, doesn't medieval fantasy seem like the place we'd wanna live? dragons, nights, princesses, magic etc... but we have to deal with are immediate "reality". i said in the memento thread that "who knows, we might be sleeping in tanks". i think the more fake realities we create for ourselves, the more unhappy we feel. after watching vanilla sky, i craved reality. tom cruise gave up the lucid dream even tho it gave him the chance for happiness because the fact that it wasn't real was too horrible for him, and he prefered taking his chances disfigured in the real world. anyway, back to the game. lucky for me, i get tired of things very quickly. after about a year, i no longer felt like playing D2. Maybe it's cause my life was improving, and i no longer needed it. but the thing is, the year that i played D2 i hated my life the most. i'm still very unhappy, and i get depressed alot, but i believe i can make it work, and i tell myself that after i move to new york or europe things will be looking up.

9. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    i think you are looking to far into this. at this rate you will have a nervous breakdown at age 25. ;)

life is actually very simple if you want it to be.

10. Mentosman24

Mentosman24 Peasant

Market Rating:
  11. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    simple for those who try to keep themselves blinded from the possibilities. it's like religious people believing in god to be happy, but ignoring common sense and the more likelyhood. truth before comfort. it's just the way i am; i thirst for answers and knowledge on the matter. even if i can't find answers in my lifetime, i can't be content without knowing that i've tried to obtain them... yep i know i'm crazy :crazy:, but i plan on studying philosophy in college.

12. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    :wtf:

Common sense doesn't rule out religion anymore than evolution.

13. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    it does, there's evidence of evolution, but not for religion. i thought up a new argument against religion while cutting my fingernails about 30 minds ago. why did god give us nails if we don't use em? it can only mean our distant ancestors had use for em. and why in the world did god give me hairy legs :)?? because it's not enough hair to keep my legs warm... and why might i add did god give me canine teeth??? there must have been someone in my family who had use for them. i'm just full of ideas ain't i :p. i have to add this to my site... too bad lots of threads turn into religious debates. we should just make this a debate site.

14. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    none of that is conclusive. *me waits for another religious debate* :p

15. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    i think we've givin good arguments in the past; and i wonder if we made any religious people here unsure about their beliefs. maybe god's an old prankster :), and he gave us these body parts to confuse us about our existance simply for his personal entertainment. cow'll probably say god gave us this stuff to test our faith in him :rolleyes:.

16. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    different people have different standards. i am not religious because i have yet to be convinced that religion is correct. religious people have been convinced... what convinces them doesn't convince me. it's that simple.

17. IbaneZ

IbaneZ Peasant

Market Rating:
    Shortly after, she dug into his computer files and found a list of the last few EverQuest names he'd used. Among them was the name "ILUVYOU," which he stopped using in late October. It was one of a few clues that led to her theory that he'd been hurt by an online love.

I'd like to see the conclusion they would come up with if I suddenly died and they dug up all the whacky names I have used.

18. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    cont...

so the next logical step is to argue the standards that we base our religious views on (whether for or against). this ultimately leads to philosophical debate about what knowledge is. what is fact? this always leads to paradoxal, self-defeating logic* on both sides. the end result is neither side is convinced of the other's position and neither side's standards by which they base their beliefs has changed. pointless.

*examples:

1. if nothing is certain then how can you be certain nothing is certain?

2. if god is all powerful then he should be able to create an object that he can't lift. if he can't lift it then he's not all powerful. if he can't create it then he's not all powerful. etc etc.

etc.

19. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    it's only 10 pm for u guys... it's 12 here, and i got school tomorrow, what the hell am i doing...

that's why i wanna study philosophy... i think we have to rely on our immediate senses (sight etc...) to prove anything (for now). i think of stuff like #1 u mentioned, it's very puzzling, but i'm glad it puzzles other people 2. like i said, i keep finding ways to contradict myself in my philosophies. for example, "god doesn't make sense" etc, but if there's the possibility that we're sleeping in a matrix like tank, there's also the possibility of god. but no, it's actually different, cause there's the scientific possibility that we're in tanks, but not god... but anyway, to satisfy myself, i reply that i have to rely on my senses, cause they're the only way of proving anything for now. because we haven't found other ways of obtaining answers to these questions... i think we are emerging in an age of enlightenment. hopefully many other people in the world are discussing things that we discuss here, i really think it's amazing. :D more stuff for my website (this is basically what it's about, i practically copy stuff form these forums onto it).
    nobody better delete any posts like jaha did k?

20. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    Been there... done that... Tried to stab a teacher with a sharpened pencil

Hitometer: 54,667,220 since 1995