Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

teh religious debate thread

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jakeman, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    i have agreed to let this happen only if you guys can can keep it clean. no personal attacks are allowed. and please try not to troll... add something to the argument instead. any offending posts will be edited or deleted. please note that i will not edit or delete posts because i don't agree with a point that person is making.

ok, go for it :eek:

2. Vokbain

Vokbain Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Evolution is real, creation is not.

3. aleldtritch

aleldtritch Peasant

Market Rating:
    i think religion, christianity mainly (because that's all i've been exposed to) is a powerful force, that makes itself powerful. I don't believe in any type of god or gods, or in Jesus. To me, religion is a system of beliefs and it requires faith in that which cannot be seen/proven but only retold. I'm not a person that thinks that i'm stronger for not needing religion and that all christians/jews/islams are weak, rather i believe that to honestly accept religion and a god into your life takes strength. Yet, i cannot believe in most gods because their religion teaches that they have a plan...and i can't see why many things would exist in their plan.

4. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    Cool Cool but... No thanks.

I am comfortable with what I have and feel no need to discuss my feelings/believes. Have fun with your debate. Most debates end up with people believing the same thing anyways...

/me runs in horror

:run:

5. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    this is what i believe, i'm not trying to force it onto anyone. i think the earliest humans began religion because they were so clueless as to what everything was and what was going on. different religions developped in different places. then came the prophets. some used religion to gain advantages over the people, some were just mental cases. take jesus for example, i don't know why some people say they don't believe in him, there is proof, he was just a normal guy (i believe), it's up to you if you believe he was something more. he was just a missonary. i believe in evolution, because to me it makes more sense, and there is proof, while for religion all you can rely on is faith.
    i also think that religion does more bad than good, and the world would a better place without it (my opinion so don't edit me jake)

6. mrdoomsday

mrdoomsday Peasant

Market Rating:
    eh... i believe that theres some ultimate driving force behind us... but i also find evolutionism and other "subjects" that go against religion... i guess im in teh middle

7. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Lame. If you're going to make a statement like that back it up with something. That's just a plain troll.

8. charlybrown

charlybrown Peasant

Market Rating:
    I'm with cow. Evolution is change, and change require some initial things, if you say creation is not real, should tell at least what kind of creation and back up your argument.

I have one thought

Religions leads to war and we don't want war in the Clan....

9. mrdoomsday

mrdoomsday Peasant

Market Rating:
    you cant just rule out creationism b/c we cant really prove its not real.. just about everything that will follow cannot be proven . its just that it sounds good.
    I could really go with either one if it was proved the correct "answer"

10. Mentosman24

Mentosman24 Peasant

Market Rating:
    I do believe that science and religion don't have to be seperate entities. I am religious (like it shows) and do believe there is a higher power, but decide to not try and comprehend it. I just let it be, and just have, what I consider to be, the knowledge that there is something we just aren't meant to understand...

11. BaleFire

BaleFire MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    i think Creationism and evolution can coexist peacefully :).
    god or whoever could have created the big bang and sat back and watched us evolve, maybe periodicaly helping the process on incase the the primoridal goo decided it didn't want to have legs or something and needed a bit of poking.

although im not particularly religeous I'm working on convincing myself that when you die there will be an after life or you will reincarnate or something. Being nonexistant once your dead is kinda depressing so it makes sense to believe in something after death.

theres my 2 cents

12. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    creationism: the belief that the entire human race is the product of incest... we are all tards. :D

13. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yes, they're all theories. Nothing is proven. Creationism is a theory, Darwinism is a theory, Bhuddism is a theory, etc...

Deism :nod:

Ahahah ha hah :rofl:

Roogles, so true.

14. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    This isn't much of a debate, just people stating their beliefs :rolleyes:. If anyone wants to attack the Catholic church I'll try and defend her...

--Haite

15. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    the most believable "belief" i think is reincarnation, it doesn't have to be religious, it could be our universal spirit/path/presence taking over another body or something. i'd love to believe any other religion, but to me they don't make sense. the "end" like u say after death is very depressing, but if it is real, we won't know it or miss anything

i can't prove that there's not a magical/hot/sexy/invisible lady under my bed waiting for the right time to jump out on me, but even though it's a nice thought and i'd love to believe it, it just doesn't make sense. therefore i don't believe it...

16. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    catholicism (sp?) seems far too convenient. go out and kill, rape, steel, whatever.. then go and confess and it's all good. isn't that the case?

17. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Well, there is no punishment for metal-plating something, but anyway, on to address the comment :nya:.

The Catholic Church preaches that there's no escaping reparation for sins. Confession is the vessel by which God forgives us of our wrongdoings, but still holds us for attonement. Purgatory is the state of this purging as a kind of intermediary between heaven and earth. While the sacrament does save us from eternal damnation, it does not save us from temporal damnation. My meaning is that the flame of purgatory and the flame of hell is identical (St. Thomas Aquinas). Also, not to get too grim, but the average duration of remaining in purgatory before entering heaven is said to be about 50 physical years. I don't mean to get all depressing though, so please don't get that way. Consider weighing this against an eternity of bliss, what is 50 years compared to 50 billion, and that raised to the nth power?

--Haite

Last edited: Apr 5, 2002
  18. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yeah, but the bishops (whatever your pastors are) charge for forgiveness. Well...maybe not anymore, but they did.

19. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Until it was agreed that that practice was evil at the Council of Trent. Go ahead and scold us for our past, and then turn your back when black people cry "slavery", people with double standards annoy me :rolleyes:.

--Haite

20. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    well, compensating black people for being slaves and criticising a religion for its past aren't exactly the same thing. why shouldn't we criticise past practices of a religion?

Hitometer: 54,593,367 since 1995