Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Stuff happened after I restarted

Discussion in 'Help Forum' started by aleldtritch, Aug 10, 2002.

1. aleldtritch

aleldtritch Peasant

Market Rating:
    Actually, I've only noticed 2 things: the clock is set to show military time, and it changed my alert noise. Nothing too serious, but it is a little weird..what might have caused this? And how do I set the clock back to normal time (I checked the date/time thing in system preferences, but didn't see anything)?

2. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    I'm guessing gamma rays bombarding your cmos

3. Beeble

Beeble Peasant

Market Rating:
    Secret Space Aliens From Outer Space came and abducted your comp, but they froze time so that you would never know...

4. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    dead PRAM battery. what model mac?

there is a "Date & Time" preference panel in OS X.

5. aleldtritch

aleldtritch Peasant

Market Rating:
    iMac something or other, the one without a fan. PRAM batteries are almost impossible to replace, right? they're in the very center of the computer?

6. Beeble

Beeble Peasant

Market Rating:
    TOugh... but not impossible.... so crack it on open and see where it is... before you buy a replacement..

7. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Yeah, but it has no option for 12-hr vs. 24-hr format, at least not one that I can find. My iBook has the same problem. One day it just switched to 24-hr format. I just ignore it.

8. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    slot loading iMacs aren't that hard. radio shack sells the batteries. it's a 3.5V Apple Macintosh Clock battery (the retail package actually says "Macintosh" on it). they cost about $10 US. they looks like a AA battery that was cut in half.

turn the iMac on it's screen so the bottom is facing you. get a small flat head screw driver and remove the plastic cover that covers the VGA port. take out the two screws under that cover and the two screws below that. now take off the whole bottom plastic piece... the bottom cover is held in place by the screws you removed and two plastic clips on the front-bottom of the computer. sometimes the plastic clips get "stuck" and you have to really bend back the plastic cover from the top. the clips are impossible to break so don't worry about that. sometimes you have to turn the iMac on it's top and tap the area where the plastic joints are to release them. once the plastic cover is off you will see a metal cage that covers the logic board. you need to remove the 6 small screws that hold that metal cage in place. be careful not to let the screw fall back into the machine, a magnetic screw driver helps. take off the metal cage, pull out the bottom first, then the top. you will see the PRAM battery (it looks like half of a AA). replace the battery, make sure the + and - stays the same. now press the KUDA button (it's a little black button near the PRAM battery). press it for less than a second. now put the iMac back together.

9. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    My CMOS battery is dead as well :(

I have to set my time, and my BIOS settings whenever I power down and then turn it back on. Thankfully I leave my computer on all the time so I've only had to do it like four times since i bought it.

I'll complain to the store and maybe they'll give me a new one.

10. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    the 12hr - 24hr clock can be chosen in the international pref pane in OSX.. dont ask why its there, it just is.

11. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Heh, no kidding. I wouldn't have even thought to look there, I figured it was some kind of bug. I can't recall ever having looked at that pane before, didn't think I needed to. :D

Seems like a dumb place for it, especially considering pre-OS X versions all had it in the Date and Time control panel. Anyway, thanks, that's one mystery solved!

Hitometer: 54,653,341 since 1995