Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Snes9x errors and other crap

Discussion in 'Help Forum' started by aleldtritch, Aug 20, 2002.

1. aleldtritch

aleldtritch Peasant

Market Rating:
    This morning I had an urge to play Megaman X, so I hopped on versiontracker and searched for SNES emulators. I downloaded the regular SNES9x from them, not the modified one that accepts more controllers. After about an hour of searching, I finally got Megaman X and while I was on the site that had it, I also grabbed X2 and X3. I played X for a while, beat the penguin guy and then the armadillo guy, but then died a few times trying to get the upgrade in the chameoleon stage that makes you take half damage, so I decided to stop and try X2. When I loaded X2, nothing happened and the screen went black. I tried X3, but the same thing happened. I figured the roms were bad, so I looked to get them from somewhere else. I tried a few more sites. but every X2 and X3 rom did the same thing. I then figured I would download the other edition of snes9x from versiontracker because maybe that would do something. It didn't. I checked back at the site where I downloaded the X2 and X3 roms, to make sure that it wasn't for psx or anything. There, it said it required zsnes to run the roms, so I headed over to their website to see if they had a mac version. Surprise, Surprise; no mac version. I registered on their forums, and asked why a couple roms wouldn't work. I didn't get a response right away, and had to leave in a bit, so I figured I would play MMX for a while, since that worked.

I attempted to use the newer version of SNES9x that I hadn't played with yet, the one that accepts more controllers. It ran the game fine, but when it got to the main menu screen, I noticed that the controller wasn't configured so I quit the program. When I was out of the game, I clicked on the menu option for configuring the controller, and it came up with an alert message saying it was missing "XGamePadSupport" in /library/Application Support/SimpleSoft . I downloaded XGamePadSupport and made a SimpleSoft folder in Application support, where I put it. For at least half an hour, I attempted to get it to allow me to configure my controller by changing the location of XGamePadSupport but no matter what I did, it wouldn't accept it. I then left.

When I got back, I checked the ZSNES forums, and they said that the latest PC version of SNES9x would run X2 and X3, but they didn't know about the latest mac version being able to. They also said that older versions wouldn't run it because X2 and X3 and other games needed some graphic format that the older SNES9x wouldn't allow. I read the Snes9x FAQ and it confirmed this. About 3 hours ago I decided I would just go back to the original version of SNES9X I used today, and give up on X2 and X3, and would just play X. I downloaded the official most recent version from the SNES9x site, since I had messed around with my original folder a little earlier. When I tried to run MMX it didn't start at all but went to the "Defrost Game State" screen where I had nothing to select, and had to force-quit to get out of it. I tried to do this a couple more times, restarted my computer, tried again, but it never worked. I downloaded the original file I got from versiontracker, thinking that would at least allow me to play MMX, but it also got the same error. I tried changing some of the options it gives you when you select a rom to open, but nothing let MMX, the game I played earlier today run. I even downloaded older versions of SNES9x, but they all came up with the "Defrost Game" screen.

So, does anyone have any experience with SNES9x in OS X? Do you have any solutions for the "Defrost Game" screen bug?
    And I'm sorry for this drawn-out story with many spelling errors and run-on sentences, but I felt I should leave all details in.

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    so X works fine but X2 and X3 don't? emulators aren't perfect. sometimes certain games simply won't work on certain emulators.

3. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    Hmm Weird. I wonder if it has anything to do with the emulating of the chip that Capcom put in X2 and X3 for certain effects.

4. aleldtritch

aleldtritch Peasant

Market Rating:

yeah, but now no games run on it. they all come up with the defrost screen.

5. Beeble

Beeble Peasant

Market Rating:
    X2 and X3 only work on a PC emulator, Zsnes I believe.

6. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    try deleting the pref file and reinstalling the program.

Hitometer: 54,658,203 since 1995