Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

SCSI problem!

Discussion in 'Help Forum' started by djflux, Apr 4, 2002.

1. djflux

djflux Peasant

Market Rating:
    Hi--

I just got a new dual 1 Ghz G4 Mac and installed an Adaptec 2906 PCI SCSI card in it. I'm trying to hook my E6400 sampler up to my computer via SCSI so I can read samples off it in Peak or Recycle, but Peak gives me an error about not recognizing any SMDI processors when I try to read samples off it. Scsiprobe detects the hard drive on my sampler but always displays it as being on SCSI ID #1 no matter what ID I set it to in my sampler! Also, I have to leave my sampler off until my computer starts up fully or else my computer won't start up, plus my sampler locks up all the time when the two are on at the same time. I know it's not something as simple as a bad SCSI cable because I've hooked other devices up to the Adaptec card. The sampler is the only machine on the chain and termination is set to yes in the e6400 setup menu so it's not improperly terminated, as far as I can see. I have two other PCI cards installed: an Audiophile sound card and another graphics card so I can hook up two monitors, but I don't see how either one of those could cause a problem. I also had this exact configuration on a beige G3 recently running OS 9.1 and never had any problems whatsoever!

Does anyone have any suggestions??

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    oh man, that's a tough one. i hate scsi problems. sounds like you've got the right idea. if you have the exact same setup on your G3 with 9.1 you might consider differences between that and your new G4. your G4 is likely running 9.2.x right? that right there could be the cause. the different versions of OS 9 all introduced some weird compatibility issues with software and hardware that worked under the previous version. i don't think downgrading to 9.1 is an option (at least it's not recommended by apple). i think your best bet would be to make some phone calls to tech numbers. call apple, adaptec, etc... see if there are any known issues that they know about.

good luck with that :)

Hitometer: 54,838,806 since 1995