Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Rita

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DunAzrael, Sep 22, 2005.

1. DunAzrael

DunAzrael Peasant

Market Rating:
    I live almost 250 miles from galveston in the happy little town of college station. I guess the entire city of Galveston thought our sleepy little town would be a good place to take a vacation during Rita. Our population pretty much doubled overnight with refugees. Every hotel in town is full. I'm all for helping people, but this is kind of ridiculous. Every gas station in town is sold out because people panicked and went to fill up there 1000 gallon SUV's. Neither mine nor my wifes cell phones get signal and we've had power outages all morning due to overload. People should just stop living at the coastal areas. sigh.....please pray for Texas

-Loading the 12 gauge, Marty

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Expecting looters?

3. Calendryll

Calendryll MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    Everyone is in "double panic mode" because of the last hurricane. It will be over soon-sorry all this happening to you.

4. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    I think it's gonna veer up and trash New Orleans yet again, a bit further west of where Katrina hit. Either way, though...

Code:
    Public Sub Weather()

Dim God as Deity
    Dim Deathtoll, Evacuees, Crime as Integer

Set God.mood = xlAngry

If God.Mood = xlSated Then
    Else
    For each Storm in application("Earth.exe").worksheet("US").range("Atlantic")
    Set Storm.Power = Storm.Power + 3
    End If

Set Deathtoll = Storm.Power^5
    Set Evacuees = Storm.Power^10
    Set Crime = Evacuees*.25

End Sub

5. DunAzrael

DunAzrael Peasant

Market Rating:

I've parked a uhaul van outside my apartment with the back door open full of cheap beer and tvs. I plan on stragetically eliminating looters via .308 caliber rifle. :D

6. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Baiting is illegal. :p

7. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I am told that people are out of gas so they can't evacuate. I am also told that a nearby state basically borrowed everyone's cars to help Texans evacuate, and now Rita took a turn and is heading toward the state that gave all their cars. That's owned.

Rita is gonna hurt. lvl 60 super elite :(

8. DunAzrael

DunAzrael Peasant

Market Rating:
    I-45 that runs from Dallas to Houston is completely jammed. It is taking people 12 hours to move on a stretch of highway that normally takes 2-3 hours. Basically all of Houston is headed north into and around our sleepy little town. All 4 million people.......

9. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    You've got to love overreation to what is going to be a diminished storm when it hits. New Orleans is screwed though. They're already experiencing levee breaks in the lower 9th ward again.

10. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    I don't understand the insane response people are showing to Rita. Everyone thinks it's going to be New Orleans all over again but they fail to realize the fundamental difference between new orleans and them: that new orleans is below sea level.

11. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I understand it. They are afraid because of Katrina.

12. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Well yeah, but the situation is completely different. No matter how bad Rita is it wont have the same endpoint as Katrina since fallen trees and collapsed houses/trailers are easy to get around while being isolated on an island in the middle of floodwaters is different.

13. DunAzrael

DunAzrael Peasant

Market Rating:
    That's what I've been telling everyone here, Cow. My brother is in the national guard and their weather tracker points to only 30 mph winds and maybe an inch or 2 or rain where were at. Sadly for everyone else east of us, the whole system is moving towards them and moving back into Louisiana. Levees broke again in New Orleans from the surges. The storm is going to hit between Lake Charles, LA and Port Arthur, TX. God hates shrimp boat captains. :D

14. Calendryll

Calendryll MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    I havent been keeping on it but I thought this storm was supposed to be one of the strongest in years? Guess Ill check the news....

15. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    it was #3 most powerful in recorded history (about 100 years), but that was a couple days before it hit. It's shrunk since then.

16. DunAzrael

DunAzrael Peasant

Market Rating:
    We still have power and only light rain as of 6 this morning. I stole some sandbags from some road cones and have blocked up the front of our house. I'll check back in again in a little while with updates. :D

17. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    Actually, because of ground water leeching and over development there were parts of Texas originally in the path of the storm that are at or below sea level (Galevston is basically a barrier island, so if a Cat 4 or 5 hits there with a storm surge of over 17 feet, that whole city would have been under water). Houston's topography is also very vulnerable to flooding.

If Rita had stayed a Category 4 or 5 storm, there would have been just as much flooding in that area as there was in New Orleans. Look at what happened in Vermillion Parish and it was a category 3. This would have been just as bad as New Orleans had it remained as strong as originally projected.

Hitometer: 54,667,241 since 1995