Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Problem

Discussion in 'Help Forum' started by Vokbain, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Vokbain

Vokbain Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    The ethernet on my beige G3 is running hella slow, but only when Im copying files between other compos. Downloading from the internet goes normally. Any ideas?

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    it could be your network. are you running on 10 or 100Bt? sometimes you think you are running 100 but attenuation along your cabling can cause it to slow down to 10. also, you're only as fast as the slowest component (hubs, switches, NICs, etc).

also, if you're using AppleTalk to transfer files you might consider switches to TCP/IP (local hotline or ftp)... it is much faster than Appletalk.

3. Vokbain

Vokbain Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Could be the hub i guess. It looks like the company just connected 2 hubs together and put it in a bigger case. Maybe if I connect it to the same part of the hub as the computers Im trying to copy from, it will fix it.

4. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    "also, if you're using AppleTalk to transfer files you might consider switches to TCP/IP (local hotline or ftp)... it is much faster than Appletalk"

Would that be due to the extra checking that AppleTalk does before sending packets?

I've heard it compared to sending your little brother across the street, checking if it's okay and then crossing. If you get hit then you try again.

5. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yeah, check all the conponents to make sure they're all running in 100mbit mode. Some are capable of 100 but are set to run at 10 for some reason.

6. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    i'm not sure about the details of appletalk, i just know it's ass slow compared to tcp/ip. i've compared the two on my 100Mb network. when using hotline to transfer files i get like 5MBps... with file sharing using appletalk i get 1.5MBps max.

isn't appletalk broadcast? i know tcp/ip is not broadcast... it's smart, it takes the short direct route while broadcast protocols just flood your network with crap.

7. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    hmm, you know when you use appletalk doesnt it go find addresses automatically? I know that you dont have to define IP addreses mostly in AT. I guess it is a broadcast service...

Hitometer: 54,651,886 since 1995