Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Powerbook DVD rom issue

Discussion in 'Help Forum' started by Jedsia, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    Lately my DVD rom on my g3 PB has been spinning up like crazy for no apparant reason. And it does it when i access items that are not even on cd, like Internet Explorer.
    I'm running on os 9.2.1 (i think thats right, it's the newest 9 patch). but it did it on OS X too.

Sometimes the cd will spin up real fast (whole whole puter just hums and vibrates from it) and then it'll spit it out. It started when I installed BG2, but I've since taken it off, reformatted HD, and it still did it.

Is my drive going bad?

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    it's possible it's going bad. i've seen similar symptoms on iMac slot loading drives.

does it read CDs or DVDs at all?

3. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    oh ya, LoD is in there right now, plays fine. movies too.

just been spinning alot and an occasional spit out.

4. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    hmm, that's hard to say. i don't think the spinning is a problem, the random ejecting isn't right though. if it's under warranty you might call apple and set up a dispatch to get it repaired. if it's not under warranty call them anyways to get a quote on what it would cost. apple has different flat rates for repair on their portables depending on the problem.

5. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    I hadn't booted into Os X for awhile, mostly cause I couldn't find my OS X.1 disc (which was on a bookshelf, cleverly hidden in the white Apple folder it came in) to reinstall it after wiping.

anyway, other day I kept having crashes and cd issues so I said screw it, I found the disc (remember it was hiding in a hard spot), booted into Os X, downloaded all the newest patches, and suddenly my dvd-rom has had no issues. guess OS X did something to fix it. Though another slightly irritating and perplexing issue came up.

I installed OS X.1 over OS X, then I dowloaded all the patches up to X.1.4. When I tried to install X.1.2 it said I needed Install Update to install the update (go figure), so I went back to the website, downloaded it and proceeded to try to install it.
    Well, when I got to the part where you pick a disk, it wouldn't let me choose anything, my hardrive was not highlightable. So figured, well maybe I need to start from disc. Started from disc to find out only thing it'll let you do is install OS X, which is already there. Fiddled with it a few minutes, couldn't go anywhere. So I said screw it, rebooted under OS 9 and figured I'd deal with it next day.
    Get up, reboot under OS X, try installing Installer Update and hey look, I can choose my hardrive, what a concept. About an hour later, my puter is updated to OS X.1.4 and finally went to D2 carbon. And I didn't do anything different.
    What was up with that, was my computer just being stubborn or something. "I don't wanna do that right now, don't have any reason, just try back later. Maybe I'll be in the mood to update"?

6. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    10.2 or 10.1.2?

7. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    It wasn't letting me update to 10.1.2, said I needed Installer Update to update, but tried installing the installer update and it wouldn't let me select anything to install it to.
    Then it just worked the next day, no idea what was going on. I was able to install everything I wanted. Installer Update and patched OS X.1 to 10.1.4

8. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    Your powerbook is possesed... :p

9. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    i don't know about that. it was just random? nothing that you might have changed? weird. if it's working go with it. ;)

Hitometer: 54,651,892 since 1995