Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

oil problem solved

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mrdoomsday, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Actually they get energy from the reaction of anti-matter and matter. :p

2. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    On Star Trek the reaction of deuterium and anti-deuterium in the M/ARC creates an energetic plasma that charges the warp coils in the engine nacelles, causing a warp in spacetime that allows the ship to slip into subspace where normal physical laws do not apply (so in actuality, they move into a state where the speed of light is not the maximum, rather than break the laws of our normal universe). Once this charged field is disengaged, the ship slips back into normal space.

3. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Is this upgrade available through my normal subaru authorized retailer?

4. kraahl

kraahl Peasant

Market Rating:
    yes, yes
    but they sometimes use that energy to create things
    at least they do in voyager

5. kraahl

kraahl Peasant

Market Rating:
    they "replicate" things

6. Balic

Balic Peasant

Market Rating:
    You wouldn't think that it was so harmless if you were one of the Indians living near Yucca Mountain, besides that though we are running out of places to put nuclear waste, even on tribal land. Nuclear power is a non-renuable resource, we can only use it for another generation or two. It would also be kidding ourselfs to pretend that nuclear accidents can't happen now, the potential is still there. One thing that would help is that about 90% of nuclear waste can be recycled, and in some parts of Europe the recycle it, but in the US we burry it because it is cheaper to burry it than to recycle it. The main problem with storing waste is that we don't have any containers that will hold up untill the radiation brakes down, so it will leach out into the surrounding areas when those containers break down. I have noticed that both sides on this arguement try to call the other uneducated, that doesn't help. We should talk about the issue at hand instead of insulting each other.

7. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    http://www.iaea.or.at/worldatom/Press/P_release/2000/prn2600.shtml

300 years is a lot longer than we have been using oil. Hopefully in that time we will find a way to use fusion for commercial power generation, or maybe some other source will show up. 200 years ago horses and oxen (and some water wheels) did all the work, imagine what another 200 will bring.

8. mrdoomsday

mrdoomsday Peasant

Market Rating:
    The crisis with nuclear waste i think could be avoided easily within the next ten years. one theory about the all aging and time traveling ive read is that the closer you get to a large gravitational field the more time dialation you get. If somehow you could hang suspended feet away from the event horizon of a black hole you would experience great time dialation. So if we are able to replicate gravity or "gravitrons" i think the nuclear waste crisis could be avoided. Put your waste into a holding container which within it is a sphere or w/e you want that has LOTS of gravitrons. Then on the outside have the outer holding container full of anti-gravitrons to keep the effect of gravity only in the first holding container. Of course no ones ever addresses it this way as far as im concerned so i could be talking total bull****. but from what i remember i think this or a variation of it is feasible

9. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    that concept could actually work if gravitons could be contained like that, and anti-gravitons existed. course, existence of gravitons still hasn't been proven, but we can assume. only thing is, you'd need a ****load of gravitons, cause they're so weak... hell, it's probably just a better idea, as well as probably much more feasible to just launch waste into the sun.

10. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Once again, pebble reactors do not make drums of nuclear waste.

11. DunAzrael

DunAzrael Peasant

Market Rating:
    Only if you sell them your soul

12. mrdoomsday

mrdoomsday Peasant

Market Rating:
    How do anti-gravitrons have a much lesser charge?
    and i think its universal that any particle has a anti particle?
    I heard that also the difference between a particle and its anti-particle is the direction it spins in.

i still like my idea :-P

13. DunAzrael

DunAzrael Peasant

Market Rating:
    Each elementary particle has a special partner called its anti-particle that has the same mass but the opposite electric charge. For matter particles with non-zero charge, the particle and its anti-particle are two distinct objects. If a particle has zero charge, then it may be its own antiparticle (an example is the photon or quantum of light, and the Z^0, the neutral quantum of the weak force). (Light producers) Two photons can be produced when a particle with non-zero electric charge and its anti-particle meet. Photons can be produced because a particle and its anti-particle have opposite electric charge; the total electric charge is the same after the collision as it is before the collision. I dont know about any of the boson research, crossing symmetry etc......., but when you think about it, there are billions of watys to create energy, just not too many that use little rescourses, or any that actually produce more energy than you put into it.

14. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    This is exactly why I failed phys 120.

15. kraahl

kraahl Peasant

Market Rating:
    but according to the BIg Bang theory all anti-matter was destroyed.
    There should not be much anti-matter left in the universe today. IIf anti-matter colides with matter they annihalate (sp?) each other.

16. mrdoomsday

mrdoomsday Peasant

Market Rating:
    sorry kraahl but the big bang theory is going down right now.

17. kraahl

kraahl Peasant

Market Rating:
    give me another one then, i´ve heard about a few others but they does not seem to be quite mature yet.

there are evidence to support the BB-theory:
    1. The Universe is expanding.
    2. The Cosmic background radiation proves that the universe has gone through an extremely hot phase
    3. The very large amounts of hydrogen and helium, those elements were created during the BB, all other are created in the stars

and no "steady state"-bullshit

18. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    I think the beginning of the universe is unimportant as far as humans go. We should not worry about it. BB or no BB, we are still here. And no, I don't believe in creationism either.

As for E=mc2, that's only for matter-energy conversions. Burning coal, for example, is merely convering chemical bond energy to heat energy, while in a nuclear reaction some matter is actually converted to energy. And since E is mass times C2 (C squared is 9x10^16, a very big number), converting ONE KILOGRAM of matter to energy produces 9x10^16 joules of energy. That's a lot of power, which is why nuclear bombs are so good at blowing thins up. What's funny is that an a-bomb actually doesn't fission totally, most of the uranium is blown away by the uranium that does convert to energy.

And as far as fusion/magnets go, yes, that is how they do it. They put the gas in a donut-shaped thingy called a "tokamak" and increase the magnetic field until the gas is pushed up against other molecules of gas. Then they do it again until the gas starts to get hot. Then they do it more until the stuff goes plasma and starts to fuse.

The only problem is that it takes a LOT of electricity for the magnets, and no way has been determined to extract all of the heat produced by fusing atoms. You can't just stick that thing ina tank of water, you know.

And I was reading the turkey thing at the beginning of the thread. 200 tons of turkey is not much, since a cubic foot of oil weighs over 100 pounds/50 kilograms, that's only 2000 cu.ft of oil or 16000gal. of oil. That's maybe $10,000 in crude oil- not much money, since it is not car-usable gasoline just crude. And if it DOES make gasoline, then it's still only $30000 a day. Do you know how much that is compared to operating costs of the oil machine, or even the profits of the company?

19. kraahl

kraahl Peasant

Market Rating:
    it´s interesting though

20. mrdoomsday

mrdoomsday Peasant

Market Rating:
    No it makes crude oil that can later be refined.
    it also makes gasoline to. The only other biproducts are pure water and metals. that can just be turned back into usable metal items. I wasnt just saying u gety free oil but that you also get extremely clean waste products that do not pollute. And the machine produces more fuel than it uses. and like i said the only thing it doesnt do is noncarbon ;) radioactive waste. Hence my idea above on how to take care of nuclear waste.

Hitometer: 54,593,450 since 1995