Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Network printer help

Discussion in 'Help Forum' started by davidpacold, Nov 5, 2002.

1. davidpacold

davidpacold Peasant

Market Rating:
    ok i am using osx jaguar and i have 2 pcs running windows 2000 professional, and they are arranged in a workgroup i.e. no server, just a peer to peer. and i am able to access the files on them using my i book but i am unable to access the shared printer, it is hanging off one of the windows 2000 machines, and i would like to access it over the network using my i book if possible, bu so far i am unlable to locate it when i try to add a printer on my mac. is it even possible to access the printer?

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    so the printer is not networkable? (doesn't have ethernet)

i have never done this but... you should be able to enable USB printer sharing on the PC and have the mac be able to see it through the network.

printer <-USB-> PC <-ethernet-> Mac

3. davidpacold

davidpacold Peasant

Market Rating:
    right the printer does not have an eithernet connection. but i all ready have it shared. i have no idea how to enable usb printer sharing, and i suppose i could install a copy of windows 2000 server, i have a copy, and set up an appletalk domain, and do it that way, but i would prefer it if i would not have to, because i use both machines for regular stuff, and i dont think i can dedicate one as a server. but i think i might have to because i cant figure out a way around it. or a way to access the windows shared printer.

4. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    if the printer isn't network capable then you must have a computer as the print server... or you could also get a stand-alone print server device, like the stand-alone routers. i don't know if they interface with USB printers though.

Hitometer: 54,586,312 since 1995