Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Nelok - Hunter [Work in Progress]

Discussion in 'Character Building' started by Unshra, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Unshra

Unshra Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Seeing that I’m still playing EQ2 and have a life, I’ve designed Nelok to be mainly a solo toon. His pet is all about tanking while Nelok’s role is DPS (kinda like the description of a hunter eh ^_^.)

So this is what I’m working with right now and as my playing style changes (be it more EQ2 or WoW) I’ll adjust Nelok accordingly.

=============================================================

Beast Mastery Talents: (31 points)

• Improved Aspect of the Hawk - 5/5 points
      Increases the Ranged Attack Power bonus of your Aspect of the Hawk by 20%.
    • Endurance Training - 5/5 points
      Increases the Health of your pets by 10%.
    • Unleashed Fury - 5/5 points
      Increases the damage done by your pets by 10%.
    • Thick Hide - 5/5 points
      Increases the Armor rating of your pets by 10%.
    • Ferocity - 5/5 points
      Increases the critical strike chance of your pets by 15%.
    • Intimidation - 1/1 point
      Increases the threat caused by your pet by 50% for 10 seconds.
    • Frenzy - 5/5 points
      Gives your pet a 100% chance to gain a 30% attack speed increase for 8 seconds after dealing a critical strike.

Marksmanship Talents: (20 points)

• Improved Concussive Shot - 5/5 points
      Gives your Concussive Shot a 20% chance to stun the target for 3 seconds.
    • Lethal Shots - 5/5 points
      Increases your critical strike chance with ranged weapons by 5%.
    • Improved Hunter's Mark - 4/5 points
      Increases the Ranged Attack Power bonus of your Hunter's Mark spell by 12%.
    • Aimed Shot - 1/1 point
      An aimed shot that increases ranged damage by 70.
    • Mortal Shots - 5/5 points
      Increases your ranged weapon critical strike damage bonus by 50%.

Survival Talents: (0 points)

• None

EDIT : Updated to reflect current plan.

-Unshra

Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
    Jakeman likes this.
  2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I hear Hunters are good at soloing.

3. Unshra

Market Rating:
    I know during beta they could solo with the best of them and that was without Talents and using broken pets (save a few elite pets like raptors.) So I would imagine that they are far better at soloing now.

4. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    My rogue is also very good at soloing, I can take mobs two levels above me.

5. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    yay, pets!!!

I miss my panther from Shadowbane :cry:

6. Calendryll

Calendryll MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    Hunters rule! lol. I have hit a few tough spots but once you gain another level or two you are back to kickin butt again. In groups like our last night I found that I can also tank pretty well (I was trying to keep the mages from getting aggro, didnt always work). I have a cat to try and dish out as much dps as possible. Your setup looks pretty good but do you need the 30% improved pet speed? Actually is that for movement or quickness in battle? I will look into that.

7. Unshra

Market Rating:
    Bestial Swiftness is movement speed and yes I need it as it will provide me with more tactical options when combine with other Traits (like 9 yards range and Intimidation.) As well it only cost one point and that's a big pet bonus for only one point. ^_^

8. Calendryll

Market Rating:
    Point taken. I tamed a Raptor last night to see if I could get claw3 from it. Apparently not. Any of you Hunters know what animals this skill comes from? I have claw2, bite3, and growl3- I dont want cower because i wont use it. Maybe one of the elder bears in Ashenvale? (Those Raptors really are sweet i just wish they ate fish.) Unshra, you seem pretty knowledgeable about these things. Do you know?

9. Unshra

Market Rating:
    Sadly it’s hit or miss on most pets, Bears, Crabs, Scorpids, Cats, Owls, Raptors and Carrions all can learn claw. The problem is you have to keep taming until you find one that already has Claw 1. The very first cat I got had Claw 1 but I nuked him (very stupid) when I forgot to stable him and went after the Raptors.

I don’t think there is one mob that always has Claw you just have to keep hunting until you get lucky and find one.

Also I'm with you on the fish part, I loved my cat because food was free and plentiful. ^_^

Edit: I'll make a post on some good site that list animal details.

10. Calendryll

Market Rating:
    Just to let you know:
    The bears around Ashenvale (actually called ashenvale bears) have claw 3 and the spiders in same area have bite 3. Got both abilities on my first try taming them so most of them must have it. Just trying to make life easier on you.

11. Unshra

Market Rating:
    Thank you, a few others mentioned the same thing the other day. Seeing I'm not a bear person (aesthetic reasons) I'll most likely learn the ability from a bear and pass it on to my new cat. ^_^

12. Calendryll

Market Rating:
    Yea I like cats to. I went to the Barrens yesterday and tamed a Lion. I have to level him up but I like him. 1.2 or 1.4 attack speed depending on level, so i am passing the abilities I learned on to him. If you find any cool new cats would you let me know? Just wanted something different.

//edit by SpocKirk: fixed quote tags

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2004
  13. Unshra

Market Rating:
  14. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    That's a cool cat.

15. Calendryll

Market Rating:
    Just wondering: How is this build working out for you? I need to respec my talents at some point because i screwed a few up. Heard PVE its better to have beast mastery and marksmanship. Just wanted to know what you thought.

Edit: Oh I forgot. Since they are implementing battlegrounds do you think it may be better to go with a pvp build and do marksmanship and survival? Since the game may switch playstyles with the addition of the battlegrounds I am a little confused as to which I should do. Battlegrounds sounds like it may end up a huge part of the game. In which case our pets will become useless in pitched battles. Or am i wrong?

16. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I am building my mage to be effective at both PvE and PvP, I think.

17. Unshra

Market Rating:
    I've updated my PvE build to reflect what the changes I've made.

To answer your question yes I'm happy with my build I haven't run into any problems soloing +4 mobs or +2 Elites.

For BG if you decide to be a pure PvPer then yes go Marksman Survival (I would focus more on Marksman) and try to be the “Hunter” not the hunted. :P While my PvE build is to meant for PvP it still allows me to be very deadly in BG. Personally I'll be more PvE then PvP so I have no plans to adjust for pure PvP.

On the subject of pets being useless that is not true they are more situational then anything. The right pet (like Snarler) would help out against casters by interrupt and being almost immune to polymorph and fear (though with 2dps it wont be that much of a help.) As well it's nice to have a pet out when you fringed as it gives you a few seconds to run away before you are re-targeted. Again they are not useless but not as useful and in PvE.

A few tips in PvP with a hunter, hunt in hard to see places (woods, jungles etc) and before you attack hide behind a tree. It will take a non hunter class quite sometime to find you if you attack though the trees or hills. As well learn to use your traps correctly they can save you from backstabs then Concussive followed by a DoT like Serpent to prevent them from hiding again.

I can't and wont tell you what build to make, all I can do is suggest that you find out if you'll be PvE, PvP or a blance of both and build around your playing style. Also keep in mind that BG is not the only thing being added there will be more quests and new areas to explore.

Edit: Fixed my statement, I meant to say "is not the only thing being added" not "is the only thing being added."

Jakeman likes this.
  18. Calendryll

Market Rating:
    Jake, you are a mage and therefore pure, extreme dps. I think you would be effective no matter what build you went with. I have heard and seen so many goods and bads about certain hunter talents I dont know what to think. Not to mention all the bugs they still need to fix with our class. Guess I will just go with what i think best. I believe I may put most of my points in Marksman and the rest in Beast Mastery. Although, I am doing something right. I wiped the floor with a troll shaman two levels over me last night. (Thought they were supposed to be tough?) Thanks for the info and update Unshra, and for letting me tag along last night.

Hitometer: 54,601,950 since 1995