Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Mage Builds

Discussion in 'Character Building' started by Haite, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    The latest patch did yet more damage to an already bleeding class - my poor Hunter. Anyway, in the meantime, until they're fixed, I was thinking of starting an alt. One of my options would be a mage, and I was interested in some thoughts (and builds) from some of our mages.

I hear about "31/20" builds and such, but it's expected that I would know which talents exactly those 31 and 20 would go into...

Can any of you share your builds or at least some insight into these commonly used builds? What's the build that's used for power AoE levelling?

Thanks dudes.

2. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    I use blizzard as main attack for AoE. Max permafrost, chill, blizzard, frost nova. You'll need some good Int gear though as blizz takes major mana. I went with 35/16 frost/arcane.

16 pts in arcane is Maxed improved Missle, Max the skill that gives you a chance on clearcast=free spell basically, 5 AE, 1 Evoc.

For Blizz Frost build the important stuff is Perma, chill, blizz, nova, and Frost channeling. Channeling reduces frost spells by up to 15% and usually it take 4-5 blizz to kill a grp so that really helps.

3. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    My build is:

Punch it into the talent builder to see it.

My build is more geared for groups because of the threat reduction, improved shield, and improved dampen, etc. When killing a boss or when I get in a tight spot, I can use arcane power to kill faster.

I don't do as much damage as a fire mage would, but my damage is very consistent. Other mages will use frost or fire nukes that take 4 seconds to cast, and if they miss it sucks. Arcane spec is consistent damage that almost never misses (missiles, instant cast explosion, and reduced chance to resist arcane).

4. charlybrown

charlybrown Peasant

Market Rating:
    Have they repaired the missile bug? that one's really annoying.

I'm doing scorpion's build too, with AE you can group kill about 3 lvls below you in packs of say 4-5, so it's quite fast for xp.

I heard fire had too much immunity at high lvl,

what I suggest is to put your first 16 points into arcane for solo leveling, then do whatever, change around lvl 50 for your final build.

Even 5 points in arcane missiles is worth it, as jake points it out, it's consistant dmg.

Nevertheless, mages suffer from major ganking before lvl 40

5. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Frostbolt and Firebolt are 3 second casts (2.5 seconds if you put points in Improved Frost/Firebolt). Arcane Missles do miss if you look at the dmg displayed while channeling. You'll notice that sometimes only 2-3 missle hit while the others will display a miss/resist. It's the same with all spells I think. You get a chance on missing but since Missle dmg is divided into 4 individual missles, your chance to do some dmg is better than if a frost/firebolt misses completely. However, the trade-off is that missle do half as much dmg as a frostbolt and 1/3 as much as a firebolt. If you do the calculations frost/firebolts have more dps.

Arcane Missle (rank 7) : 5 sec cast 192 per missle * 4 = 768
    FrostBolt (rank 10) : 3 sec cast (2.5 w/ talent) 495-534 * 2 = 990-1068
    FireBolt (rank 11) : 3 sec cast(2.5 w/ talent) 641-817 * 2 = 1282-1634

Only difference is that if you miss or get resisted, then you won't lose much dmg with Missle compared to the Frost/Firebolts.

wowvault is a little outdated and seems like they don't update their info. The game says that Frost/Firebolts casting time is only 3 seconds. I think the dmg info is wrong also as I've yet to see my Frostbolt (Rank 10) do more than 470. I also only see max crit at around mid 900s with 100% crit dmg.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  6. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    That's odd. On mine only one missile will miss sometimes, as in once every 5 or 6 full channel casts of 5 missiles. Never more than that... unless of course the monster is immune to arcane. Even when they are resistant, it only lowers the dmg per missile, it doesn't make them miss more in my experience.

Are you taking into consideration the Arcane Focus talent (-10% chance to resist arcane)? Without Arcane Focus, it is not uncommon for monsters to resist at least 1 missile per channel, but with that talent it makes a huge difference.

Odd. For some reason my arcane missiles do 5 missiles per cast.

Their individual damage is 206 because of item enhancements.

206 * 5 = 1030

edit: and you have to love Arcane Power :D

278 * 5 = 1390

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  7. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Well I'm not taking into consideration any talent points for dmg and resist nor am I taking into consideration any +dmg gear. If I did, then Frostbolt would get an extra 6% dmg and Firebolt would be getting 10% extra for every spell. So of course I didn't put in Arcane Power. This is just basic dmg without enhancements. As far as I've seen, my Arcane Missles only shoot 4 times. If you think about it, it makes sense since Arcane does consistent dmg whereas the other 2 trees gets really screwed for misses so it's natural to take misses into consideration in order to balance out dps potential.

Edit: I didn't really notice this until I got the UI to let you see the health of the mob at all times (the actual number that is and not just the bar/percent). It really helps to see this so I can decide if I need one of the more damaging spell to finish off the mob or just a regular spell.

8. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    I decided against a mage. I may roll either a priest or warrior for an alt, and I think I've built up enough information on them from the WoW forums. Thanks for the input guys.

9. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I just tested it. 5 times.

I am not trying to convince you of anything. Go frost if you like it. I tried it and didn't like it so much.

10. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    We need both priests and warriors... high level. There are several alts of both classes, but no high level, active characters.

11. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    In fact, it's good that we have different builds. It's boring when everyone is the same build. Elbereth went fire just to be different, which is cool.

12. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    My warrior will be my main for a while, at least until Hunters are fixed, and perhaps permanently.

Hitometer: 54,650,593 since 1995