Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Mage Builds - Low level.

Discussion in 'Character Building' started by ProXie, Apr 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProXie

ProXie Peasant

Market Rating:
    Hey guys, I know I haven't played for awhile, at all, but I'm interested in starting my mage back up.

What would you suggest for a build? Someone told me that its useless to spend a lot on frost at early levels because I won't be fighting mobs, thats more in the end.

What would you suggest for a level 15+ mage? I'll respec around 40 or so.

Thanks!

Please include an order if needed on what to spec first.

2. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Frost sucks at low level. As a low mage go fire and dump into the crit talents.

I ignored improved fireball, pyroblast, improved scorch and something else. They're useless.

Jakeman likes this.
  3. ProXie

ProXie Peasant

Market Rating:
    Thanks. Any specific build you'd suggest? I don't want to mess up :(.

4. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    I just went pure fire with arcane missiles and frost nova.

5. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Improved Fireball isn't useless at all, I'd say when you first get talents at lvl 10, it's the best DPS increase you have available to you. After that the uninterruptible Arcane Missiles and instant cast Arcane Explosion are both great talents.

Jakeman likes this.
  6. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Fire is best for a low level mage. Get improved fireball and then get Flamethrowing and then Impact. After that get Burning Soul and then Ignite. After Ignite get Critical Mass. The next 2 pts after that could be put into Improved Scorch or Improved Fireblast or Improved Flamestrike. Then go for Fire Power and then Combustion.

Scorch is very good in certain situations, i.e. you're almost out of mana and there's an add but you don't have enough for any spells. I'm fairly certain that at any rank, Scorch cost less to mana to cast not to mention that it has a very short casting time (1.5 sec) compared to other spells besides instant spells. Do not ignore this spell since in the time it takes to get your mana back you could already be dead. Try to get Int-base gears unlike some other mages who is more concerned with Stam. Int is the most important stat for a mage since it not only gives you more mana to cast spells but it also raises your crit chances as well.
    The trick with fire mage is to cast Frostbolt(Rank 1) first before casting your fire spell. The bolt will cause the enemy to drop to only 50-75% run speed thus allowing you to cast 2-3 spells before they get to you. If you use Scorch, you can get up to 5 spells before they reach you not to mention that if you put points in Impact you have a chance to stun which gives you more time to repeat the process.

Another option that you can do is go with Arcane. Improved Arcane Missle is a great talent since they can't stop you from dmging them unless they silence or stun. So what you can do is cast Frostbolt(Rank 1) followed by Arcane Missle. Then Frost Nova. Take 2-3 steps back and then Arcane Missle again since the missles count as channeled dmg and will not break the ice. Or you can simply blink away and repeat with Frostbolt then Arcane Missle. This makes it almost impossible for them to hit you and the only possible way for them to touch you is that the Frostbolt gets resisted.

FYI: You can take my advice but some ppl think that they know everything even though they only tried one build when I've respec'd about 8 times already (spending well over 120g) and trying different specs to see how they all are.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Hitometer: 54,601,961 since 1995