Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

iDVD and iMovie

Discussion in 'Help Forum' started by Ghetto Blasta, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Ghetto Blasta

Ghetto Blasta Peasant

Market Rating:
    I have a G4 with OS X in my cube with iDVD. I made a movie in iMovie (don't ask why they told me to use iMovie, nobody knows.) and I need to burn it on to a DVD. When you click export to iDVD it says exports to QuickTime. So I think, well maybe I have to manually start iDVD and it'll be there for me to open. So I go and dig through the HD and open iDVD.

At this time I am in Classic mode, as I had been working in Photoshop 6 not too long before. So as as soon as I open iDVD it gives me an error message saying "This application or control panel is not supported by Classic." So I stop Classic and try to run iDVD again. But when I open it up, it starts to switch to Classic! When it finishes, it gives me the same error message about not being supported, and iDVD closes before it's even open. Naturally, I checked the readme to attempt to trouble shoot it. The readme gave me absolutely no helpful information, save that iDVD requires OS 9.1 to run. Now as far as I know Classic mode IS OS 9.1. Can anyone tell me how I can get iDVD to run? Or atleast some other DVD burning proggy?

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    if it won't run in classic (OS 9 emulation) then you will need to boot directly to OS 9 by going to your Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Startup Disk.

None of the G4 cubes came with DVD burners, right? so you won't be able to burn the DVD from your cube.

3. Ghetto Blasta

Ghetto Blasta Peasant

Market Rating:
    I'll try that.

And by cube I ment cubicle, not a cube shaped G4 :P

4. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    wOOps! my bad :p

5. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    I guess Cube people could buy one of those insanely priced firewire DVD burners. Don't know if iDVD would support that though. Haven't seen latest version.

6. Ghetto Blasta

Ghetto Blasta Peasant

Market Rating:
    OK, I rebooted into OS 9.1 got iDVD running, imported the movie, and hit the burn DVD button. It sat there doing nothing for a few minutes, then gave me an error message saying "No drive found!" Now I'm pretty sure the drive is there, because I can poke it and put DVD's and CD's in it, plus it worked just fine on OS X. Suggestions?

7. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    1. is it a super drive (DVD-R)? go to Apple Menu -> Apple System Profiler -> Devices (i think) and it will give details about the drives. what does that say?

2. is there a DVD-R disc in the drive?

if everything checks out you might try running the software update control panel in OS 9. maybe you need an update to something.

8. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    you might want to get info in osx. there is a check box that forces a carbon app to open in classic

9. Ghetto Blasta

Ghetto Blasta Peasant

Market Rating:
    1. It says quite a few things, am I looking for something in paticular?

2. Yes, there is a DVD-R in the drive

10. Ghetto Blasta

Ghetto Blasta Peasant

Market Rating:
    Well, I tryed several times to burn the DVD. This time with a different disk. I tryed several different procedures as well. I tryed opening iDVD and putting in the disk when it was requested, and I tryed running iDVD putting the disk in, then hitting burn. Each procedure gave me the same error message, just worded differently each time. From these messages, I discovered that low and behold, the disk I was told was a DVD-R was in reality a CD-RW! That's what I get for trusting co-workers I suppose.... I'll aquire a real DVD-R on Monday and see how things go. Thanks for the help!

11. Beeble

Beeble Peasant

Market Rating:
    your welcome

12. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    make sure it has a super drive. i have dealt with many customers who complain they can't burn CDs. i go out to their house and their computer doesn't have a CDRW drive, just a CDROM. :bonk: ;)

Hitometer: 54,838,704 since 1995