Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Highest DPS class?

Discussion in 'Character Building' started by MisterHalleck, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    why on earth would a priest be DPS?

2. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    Because killing things is more funner than sitting around waiting for someone to get hit so you can click name and pres butan?

Seriously, when I was specced for shadow I could eat people alive with massive burst damage- only people I lost to in PVP was Rogues.

Actually, now that I think about it, a raid of 8 paladins (for the auras), 2 Warriors, 2 Mages and 2 druids for the buffs, and all the rest specced as shadow priests would run through most raid instances like nothing. Having 3 shadow priests in each group each converting 20% of the damage they deal into life for their party would make most groups pretty hard to kill off. Unless there are flaws in my logic, in which case please yell at me for being n00b :P

3. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    that raid would wipe at the second pull in MC. when you have 4000hp and cloth armor.. you can only take 3 hits at most from any mob in MC, and quite a few have AE attacks (reavers, destroyers, flameguards) not to mention boss fights, which would probably resemble clicking the "mass suicide" button in Lemmings as 30 priests spontaneously combust because they cant take any hits.

4. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    I stand corrected :)

5. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Ah, Lemmings. Diverting for about 5 levels and then you're like, wtf am I doing here?

I read somewhere that for burst DPS a 31/20 Arc/Fire mage is the best character, but I don't know first hand. Of course as pointed out that build cannot sustain DPS for an entire raid because of mana issues, esp with Arcane Power hogging extra mana. (FWIW my play style is more toward dishing out consistent damage without having to micromanage skills like AP or Combustion, so I'm working toward a 30/21 Fire/Arc build.)

6. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Usually if a mage goes fire/arcane it's the 30/21 variety. Not too many go 31/20 since there's a talent on the mage's arcane tree at 21 that allows any spell to become instant cast so that they don't have to wait for a 6 sec cast. You can actually get off over 2500 dmg (non-crit) in a little over 3 sec with fireball taking up most of the casting time (fireball = 3 sec + PoM/Pyroblast = instant + fireblast = instant). The DoTs from fireball and pyroblast stacks for another 700 dmg. This is assuming that there's no +dmg gear involved which would up the dmg even more. Also the Fire tree has a talent called ignite which adds DoTs when a spell crit and it stacks. I've had my scorch crit 3 times in a row and cause a 400 dmg DoT on targets before. Scorch usually only cause 100 dmg DoT when crit and it doubles if you crit again before the DoT timer runs out. So if you crit 4 times in a row you'll get a 800 dmg DoT going, 5 times you get a 1600 DoT, etc. It's really insane. There's also a 23/28 fire/arcane build out there that takes advantage of the crits talents from both arcane and fire(very good PvP build).

7. Delphiki

Delphiki MSC Friend

Market Rating:
    Hunters are very important in MC aside from the obvious taming of the Magmadar with the Traq shots Hunters are used to set up the pulls 99.9999% of the time.... Pallies pull rarely, and every Rogue I saw pull usually dies and creates havoc for the raid to straighten out aggro.....

The first situation where a Hunter can make the perfect pull is Lucifron. Tank can initially proximity pull Luci, (the adds follow) Then a Hunter would pull each an add and bringing them safely down to where the off tanks and dps and work on them safe from Luci's curse and IDoom

Jakeman likes this.
  8. Oakan

Oakan MSC Friend

Market Rating:
    Hunters are very valuable in MC and Onyx...

Anytime you come across a boss that has guards/adds.. its great to have tank aggro boss while hunters pull adds away to a designated area and have an offtank go to work on the mob while Hunter Feign's death...

Hunters are very useful for the following bosses: Luci(2 adds), Magmadar(tranq shot), Gehennis(2 adds), Garr(9 adds), Golemagg(2 adds)... thats as far into MC as I've gotten...

Also a skilled hunter can split mobs by pulling and using Feign death when they approach so that the mob pulled will aggro the tank who's standing near the feigned hunter and the rest of the mobs are too far back to aggro, so they return to their normal spot..

Jakeman likes this.
  9. Delphiki

Delphiki MSC Friend

Market Rating:
    Sulfron 4 adds and MajorHomo 6 adds

Ragnaros summons about 12 adds sometime after the event starts....and can be feared / stunned / netted...Tee Hee

10. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I saw Beo's post about that... you can farm nets from Westfall to control Rag's summons. That's lol.

11. Delphiki

Delphiki MSC Friend

Market Rating:
    Can imagine seeing 40 lvl 60s running around Westfall slaughtering everything in thier path.....

that would be much LOL

12. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:

Although it would be annoying if you were 15-20 and trying to actually get something accomplished.

13. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    omg lol.

Also, if you want, there is a quest chain in ashenvale that gives you a potion called "Light of Elune", makes you immune to all damage and spells for 10 seconds. That is just totally w00t.

14. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Good for grabbing that Horde flag and getting out of Dodge. :nod:

15. Beowulf

Beowulf MSC Friend

Market Rating:
    Except that a lot of 'immunity' type items/abilities make you drop the flag. Not sure on this item, but quite likely.

16. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Ah, good point. I've played CTF exactly twice, so I'm still learning the nuances.

Hitometer: 54,587,800 since 1995