Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

freedom fries?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jakeman, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    A large portion of students at Yale and Harvard are from well to do families. They are elite Universities that are expensive. If you do not come from money, you have to have scholarships, grants or go into massive student loan debt.

Point is, Bush was no more special than any other Yale student. There have been graduates of Yale who came from families with more money and influence I'm sure than the Bushes. I'm sure he's not the first person to get into a school based partly on family ties and he certainly won't be the last. Does it make it right or fair? Not particularly, not unless you take into account how hard people work to get where they are. Very few of the rich families had it handed to them. They applied themselves, worked hard and have been able to pass down some of their wealth, but also expect their children not to squander it, but instead to continue to earn their way. A small percentage of the wealthy in this country inheirited wealth, and that wealth had to be earned at some point. Wealth just does not appear out of nowhere.

And other children of other Presidents do not get better treatment at schools than other students I'm sure. I'd bet they are asked to perform just as well as other students, if not better. After all, the eyes of the nation are on them.

I'd also point out a C average at Yale does not equal a C average at a public University. Yale holds to higher standards, which is why it is more expensive.

2. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    I'd like to make another point as well. Mommy and Daddy might have gotten him in the door, but once he was in, it was up to him to stay in. If he truly could not hack it at Yale, if he was so stupid he couldn't graduate, then why did he? He may have struggled, but he graduated. And like Phukket pointed out, graduation is what matters. And he wasn't any more special than other students who came from rich families.

Are you going to ask your doctor what rank he was in college? I've never thought to ask mine. Education is a start, what you do from there is up to you. Once you graduate, does it really matter how popular you were, or what grade you got on a test? As long as you apply what you learned to your life, you're a success.

3. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    my brother is getting offers from yale, he never goes to school. what does THAT tell you?

4. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    nothing conclusive.

i can pee farther :nya:

5. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    no way! i can pee farther!

6. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    There's the difference. Teachers don't explain themselves because statistical grading explains itself. You either get the answer right or wrong. The teacher doesn't "give" you a grade. He has a grading book with the marks for all the assignments, that averages out to a final semester grade based on the weighting of homework, in class assignments, tests, extra credit, and other materials.

7. kraahl

kraahl Peasant

Market Rating:
    Bush is not phucking up his familys money, he´s phucking the nations money.
    I´m not familiar with the term in english but I do now that during Clinton you had a + in the national budget. Bush gave you the -.

YOur system is really flawed if one C does not equal another C. You must be able to see that.

To HAite: That´s the old system. They don´t need to do that anymore.

My main point is. The teacher pass a judgement on the student. That affects the grade. I think that´s true in the US as well as in sweden. It might be so in the case of you beloved president and it might not. THe discussion evolved from that. What matters is...
    I think the teacher judges the students work, not everything can be gotten from statistics or keys. There are some parts that cannot be graded with kets at all. And the answer is not always right or wrong. It can be partly right and paretly wrong (if you have that type of questions, which I´m sure you do). Again it´s up to the teacher.

8. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    http://www.publicdebt.treas.gov/opd/opdfaq.htm

http://www.worldlink.co.uk/stories/storyReader$530
    The defecit never went away. We paid it down some, but the surplus people referred to was not because we had paid off the National Debt.

Bush has not contributed to the national debt all by himself. Many factors have to be taken in account. One, the stock market was falling before Sept 11, and was on its way even before he took office. You cannot blame the current president for events that occur during his presidency that were set into motion before.
    Two, Sept 11 and the war on terror was not planned, and regardless of who is president, this is a war the nation is prepared to wage. We cannot allow an attack of that nature and magnitude to happen again on our shores, especially if we can stop it.

Bush, unlike Saddam, cannot make decisions of that magnitude without the approval of the Senate and House. We have 3 branches of government for a reason. It's called checks and balances. No one branch of government has authority to make decisions that affect the nation on it's own. Bush can put a bill into play, but it must be approved by Congress and sometimes by the Legislature, or both.

Unfortunately, much of what goes on in our government is based on politics and manuevering of careers based on parties. The party system was orginally created to balance issues, but now it's become a contest of wills in a way. Things do not get voted on because they do not further a parties needs (rather than the public's needs). This goes on for both sides.

I support Bush and though I do not beleive he is the best president in the history of our nation, I beleive he is doing his job, and doing it well (not perfect, but who is)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2003
  9. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    My point was, say I'm applying for colleges. I live in Georgia, so let's compare going to U of Georgia to Yale.

Why should I pay the high cost of tuition to go to Yale if I can get the same education at Georgia? Just for the name Yale on my diploma? That's not enough. Yale has harder classes, better facilities and is much more competitive. Yes, I can get a good education at Georgia, they have good classes and facilties as well.

So here's my point about Yale C not being equal to a C in Georgia, Yale is tougher, it has higher standards and higher criteria. There's nothing wrong with U of Georgia, but it's not in the same standard as Yale. Higher standards, higher criteria, equals a grade that some wouldn't have to work so hard to get at Georgia. Not saying that U. of Georgia is easy, all colleges should have a level of difficulty. But people don't pay the big bucks to go to a school if it's not worth it.

10. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    CLINTON WAS A ****ING THUG. He is a horrible person, a bad president and a GODDAMN COKEHEAD. He is the one who is responcible for causing the ****ing enconomy to skip a beat. On the whole, Democrats have become spinless little ****s (no offence to Democrats that actually give a damn about the country) who just look out for themselves and how to keep in office by appeasing the lowest common denominator. I don't think that you would have the same low as crap oppinion of us ad our system if you stayed over here a few years Kraahl, but maybe that saying 'Walk a mile in our shoes' doesn't apply anymore. The presidents job isn't to be loved or even liked. Their job is to do whats right for the country and its people. Both parties may have lost sight of this, but at least the Republican party is still somewhat on track. If the democrats had their way this country would be a third world nation in about 20 years.

11. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    This article is from 1998, from a business publication in Cinncinati:

New year could net recession in U.S. economy
    Scott Aiken

The good times keep on rolling. After a stomach-clenching roller coaster fall in the stock market, stock prices are on the rise again. Despite a strengthened U.S. dollar, exports have continued to rise.

In the second quarter, the U.S. economy grew at a good pace, 3.5 percent on an annual basis. More recently, the Labor Department reported that unemployment in November -- as the holiday shopping season started -- fell to 4.6 percent. That is the lowest rate in 24 years.

A whole generation of Cincinnatians have entered the work force and progressed in management or entrepreneurial careers since the U.S. last experienced inflation or recession.

Along with other investors, the Generation X investors kept their cool when stock prices plunged on Oct. 27. As Asian economies continue plummeting like gift turkeys on "WKRP in Cincinnati," U.S. investors once again are enjoying the benefits of foreign capital bidding for safe haven in U.S. stocks, bonds and other investments.

Will there ever again be an economic slowdown in the United States? Maybe we should replay the famous Abbot and Costello baseball routine: "Who's on first? ... Naturally."

For the economy, the "who" is the apparent broad-based nature of the economy's expansion. The "naturally" is a certainty: At some point the economy will slow, halt and take a dip.

Now, with all the happy talk about the "U.S. miracle," is the best time to reaffirm that certainty -- and begin preparing for a recession, perhaps even in 1998.

The expansion has been export-led, a first for the United States, which has historically used its own domestic market to propel growth. Where are these exports going? Increasingly, they are going to South America and Asia. Southeast Asia alone has nearly doubled its share in American exports since 1989.

With the globalization of the U.S. economy, the trigger for recession may well be events in foreign countries. The Internation-al Monetary Fund has launched its biggest recovery effort ever -- $57 billion -- to help South Korea. Asian financial turmoil has already brought the collapse of a major Japanese investment house -- and has slammed Japan's infant economic recovery to the turf. Wringing the excesses out of Thailand, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesia, South Korea and China could very well slow economies in Europe and the United States. There will be political shocks from the financial earthquakes in Asia. We have just begun to feel the tremors.

The fact is, a strong dollar will slow U.S. exports. The influx of foreign capital into our markets is a temporary boost to the financial markets. Much of that money will move again as soon as inflation or a slowdown in manufacturing ... or some other reaction occurs in Asia or to an American economy that is at full capacity. "Naturally," there will be a recession.

Aiken runs a public relations firm in Cincinnati.

-----

You cannot Blame Bush for something that was going into effect before his election. Even Clinton can't be blamed entirely, though I can blame him for many other things in this country. After all, he was President who behaved like a selfish, spoiled brat who puts his own needs before his nations.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2003
  12. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
  13. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    In our classes the average mark is set to a C, because that's what its definition is: an average mark. So if the class average was 80% on a test you could potentially fail it with 60%, but of course this wouldn't happen because profs always set exams to be harder, not easier.

Marks go hand in hand with the name of the institution, if you get a C it means you were average, but the average grade in Yale is a lot different than the average grade in Community College. That's why many employers will look at the name of the institution you attended. People who go to high quality institutions often entered with an A average from high school, those that entered a community college will have entered with a C+ average. So obviously an Ivy League's average is better than that of a community college.

I like the system, it may not be entirely fair, but it grades you according to society, which is what will happen in the real world.

14. kraahl

kraahl Peasant

Market Rating:
    I begin to see the difference here...
    I believe all people should have a fair and equal chance to be something in the society. You might say the same, but your system does not promote it.

I will not pay anything to go to university, my grades and my grades alone will get me into the good schools.
    I could go to KTH (in stockholm, the capital) or Chalmers (in Goteborg, the second city) (very good schools) or I could go someplace closer. Since my grades are pretty good, and not enough people apply for them I will probably be able to choose among several goos schools.
    It matters not if my parents are wealthy (they are not, we don´t have that much money at all, lower middle class I guess) or poor.

There are a few things I think should be run entirely by the
    commonwealth (correct word?)
    Law enforcement, education (at all levels) and health care. There must not be profits in these sectors.

Evertbody seem to hate Clinton all of a sudden. The only thing he actually did wrong were lying in court. His affairs have nothing to do with politics. But since he was an american president I think he´s an asshole :nya:

About me living in america and walking in your shoes: I have an uncle who lives in the US. I´ll probably visit him someday. IT is my belief that I would find many things to like in the US. No doubt about it. But there are things I cannot stand.
    I could not stand walking into a classoom and find the ten commandments on the wall beside the american flag.
    I could not stand your horrible tv-shows, your series and movies are good but I cannot stand your type of show-hosts.
    I can not stand patriotism, of any kind.

I repeat myself:
    My main point is. The teacher pass a judgement on the student. That affects the grade. I think that´s true in the US as well as in sweden. It might be so in the case of you beloved president and it might not. THe discussion evolved from that. What matters is...
    I think the teacher judges the students work, not everything can be gotten from statistics or keys. There are some parts that cannot be graded with kets at all. And the answer is not always right or wrong. It can be partly right and paretly wrong (if you have that type of questions, which I´m sure you do). Again it´s up to the teacher.

Do you deny this? Do you deny that a teacher has anything to do with the grade?

15. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    One point, you WILL NOT find the 10 commandments on the wall in a classroom. We won't even allow "moments of silence" in most classrooms and some people want to eliminate the pledge because the word God is in it.
    Of course, people take money that says "In God We Trust".

Only in private religious based schools that parents pay for will you find that.

Oh, and I've always hated Clinton. I believed in him the first year or two, but even then he started showing his colors.

16. kraahl

kraahl Peasant

Market Rating:
    I`m pretty sure that I heard with my own ears that they passed such a thingy in congress.

17. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    would never happen.

separation of church and state. You'd have a national uproar if that ever passed.

18. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    Passed what?

I've never seen the 10 Commandments in any school here.

19. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
  20. kraahl

kraahl Peasant

Market Rating:
    I checked it up...
    They have passed a law the allows the states to put up the ten commandments.
    That was the same day yhat they "shot down" a gun control law.

Hitometer: 54,730,919 since 1995