Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

filesharing via airport

Discussion in 'Help Forum' started by Wran, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Wran

Wran Peasant

Market Rating:
    I am wondering if it's possible to use airport for internet and simultaneously filesharing between two computers.

I think it's possible, because my microsoft office checks the airport network for other working copies while I'm on internet.

How do I do it though? I don't have Jaguar, so Rendevous is out for now...

Thanks,
    Wran

2. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    i assume you're using an AirPort base station, instead of 10.2's software base station, as you don't have 10.2. if both (or more) of your computers are connected to the same base station, just turn on AppleTalk in the network prefpane, and file sharing in the sharing pane. make sure it's on the AirPort interface, though. press command-k in the finder on any of the computers, and you should be able to connect to any of the computers out there. if, for some reason you don't want to turn on AppleTalk, each one of the computers there has an IP that you can get from the sharing or network prefpane, and you can enter it in the command-k dialog to connect to one of the computers.

3. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    yes it's possible. what is your exact setup? do you have broadband internet?

i am a big fan of NAT (network address translation):

internet (real IP out here) -> modem -> router (handles internal IPs) -> computers (with internal IPs). this way each computer is on the internet and each has a regular 192.168... IP for easy networking / file sharing.

4. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    fyi, on AirPort, it's generally 10.0.x...
    and if you meant filesharing between computers inside the network and outside the network, you need to try to connect from a computer inside the network to the one outside, unless you set a port mapping to a specific computer inside the network, or if you turn off NAT altogether, which might actually be the best way if you're behind another router anyway.

Hitometer: 54,651,888 since 1995