Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

EU Slams Microsoft

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gilgamesh, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    Whats the general opinion on this issue:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070917/ap_on_bi_ge/eu_microsoft

I don't think it's right that the EU is slamming Microsoft on the basis that it bundles stuff live Media Player and stuff like that. Agreed that MIcrosoft has, and most likely will do again, performed monopolastic practices, but most corporations will do so to push their products and expand their botom line...

The ruling stated that:
    "In that regard, the court considers that neither the fact that Microsoft does not charge a separate price for Windows Media Player nor the fact that consumers are not obliged to use that Media Player is irrelevant."

What's that all about. If your not obliged to use it, not tied to it, it's basically just installed for use if you want to use it... What does the EU want, a computer shipped to a user with absolutely nothing on it, just an OS? No internet app, no photo app, no media viewer app, no word processing app??

If this ruling goes thru all the way to the hgh court, then that's basically what they should get then... Good lord... Look at me. Sounds like I like Microsoft... Ugh. I just don't like stupid legislation...

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    MS doesn't need to try to be a monopoly, that's just the result of their huge success. Monopolies aren't forced, they just happen naturally. People like to rally around a central authority.

All of these antitrust laws are in place to prevent people from undermining their own best interests. It's hard to blame MS for this. Unfortunately this kind of legislation is sometimes necessary.

3. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    Yes, I know you're right. Success and huge market share would breed a monopoly without really trying I guess...

I just figured this legislation, in particular the part pointing out and using as an example an optional, not-very-important, piece of software, was kinda silly...

4. Kalgareth

Kalgareth Peasant

Market Rating:
    You have got to be kidding me Jake. Do you honestly believe that monopolies just manifest themselves through the public will without corporate manipulation?

5. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Not without, but in large part. Don't polarize.

6. Kalgareth

Kalgareth Peasant

Market Rating:
    Back at ya. And I think the word you are looking for is generalize.

7. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    And your point is what?

8. Kalgareth

Kalgareth Peasant

Market Rating:
    That you were incorrectly generalizing far more than I was.

9. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    So your point is that my argument is incorrect because it generalizes too much. That is why I clarified by saying, "not without, but in large part." Is my argument better now?

10. Kalgareth

Kalgareth Peasant

Market Rating:
    Wanna repeat yourself again? Or would you like to address what I quoted and what you were generalizing.

11. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Are you saying you still don't agree with my argument? Can you be more specific about what points I have neglected? You seem to be insinuating that I haven't addressed your points, but I thought I just did that in my last post. Help me out here.

Hitometer: 54,729,236 since 1995