Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

delay - no worries

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alteren, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Alteren

Alteren MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    It may take me a few days to get back.

I got some money for my b-day, and I don't want to completely buy a new laptop, but I'm goign to upgrade my RAM.

I checked online at BestBuy and a few other stores, and it looks like my Laptop is just a little too old to have this type of RAM:

PC2100 DDR SDRAM SODIMM

I'm at 512mb right now, and I can go up to 1gig which I can see helping me immensly, and I could really use the RAM for other things too. it's a good intermediate step short of getting a new laptop (planned when I get my B.S.).

Anyway, I checked on Newegg and they have a few options. Shipping will take a few days to get here. I probably could install it myself, but I really don't want to :-).

I am going to swing by Best Buy after work just in case they have something in store that I couldn't see online.

Sorry for the delay, and I will see you guys soon.

- Greg

2. Alteren

Market Rating:
    I did find a good model on Newegg where a few reviewers even mentioned it working great on the same series laptop as mine.

If Best Buy falls through today, there is a good option.

Keep in mind, I am a software guy and not a hardware guy really very much at all :-). I looked up the instructions for adding ram and it really boils down to:

1. turn pc off, remove ac power and battery
    2. remove RAM cover
    3. pop new ram in slot
    4. replace cover
    5. turn on and enjoy :-)

I think i can handle that. I started to look up the instructions when I realized it would cost me $40 at the geek squad and probably comparable other places.

3. Alteren

Market Rating:
    Just a little background. There are 2 slots for RAM in my laptop and only 1 is being used with a 512mb module.

Hitometer: 54,602,237 since 1995