Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Dangers of MMORPG

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DunAzrael, Sep 19, 2006.

1. DunAzrael

DunAzrael Peasant

Market Rating:
    I'm not going to try and grease the tracks for some right wing propaganda or anything, I just wanted to know your opinions on the psychological impact of alternate realities and multiple personalities. WOW presents an opportunity to hide from the pain of the real world and to be a stronger, braver, or whatever your given insecurities may be. I'll keep this first post short so you can think about it and not have to read 5 pages. My younger brother has recently dropped out of his first semester at university because he could never get away from WOW to do his school work. I know most of you play WOW so I'm prepared for the flaming, but let's try to keep it objective.

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    WoW has the same potential to destroy as any psychoactive drug when it is used as an escape. That is a flaw in the person, not the game. I played WoW an insane amount during college, but I was still able to graduate with honors because I was able to prioritize and separate my two lives.

There is nothing wrong with a little role playing to explore aspects of social life that you normally wouldn't. The problem comes when you can't separate the two. I just use the same persona in both realities, though my online persona tends to be more bold than usual... anonymity is nice.

Hitometer: 54,663,908 since 1995