Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

damn piece of **** cable modem

Discussion in 'Help Forum' started by MisterHalleck, Aug 13, 2002.

1. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    grrrrrrrrr.

Heres the problem:

I start my computer. It loads. it works. i play WC3, or I come here. THEN all of a sudden the internet stops working and i get disconnected from whatever I was doing. Nothing works to fix this. I restart. The computer, right before the login screen, gives me a bluescreen and the spinning beachball for about 2 minutes. THen when I finally logon, the net still wont work.

Heres my system:
    500MHZ G4
    256m RAM
    OSX 10.1.5

I have my computer connected to a hub which is uplinked to a Linksys router. The router goes to the cable modem.

I pinged my printserver and router OK, but I can't ping anything else on the WWW. This problem with my modem is sporadic, and it seems to go away (sometimes) if I reset the power to it.

I heard something about a major link point for my cable company going down somewhere, but I don't know if that's why my modem can't connect to the outside.

Right now the WWW works but my packet loss is through the roof- around 50%. someone please advise me!

2. filburt1

filburt1 Peasant

Market Rating:
    ISP?

Try unplugging the cable modem power and cable line and reconnecting it. You might just have a crappy modem.

:uzi: Stoopid beachball

3. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    prolly your modem. mine does crap like that sometimes. i have to turn off my modem and router. wait 60 seconds, turn on modem, wait for modem to finish doing its thing, then turn on router.

4. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Check your ip. You should be getting an ip like 24.xxx.xxx.xxx or something to that effect.

I have the same setup and sometimes my router assigns me a 192.168.xxx.xxx address which wont let me access the net. Or other times I'll get a 168.xxx.xxx.xxx address which is fake and wont let you access anything (you get it when the computer can't find a dhcp server).

What I do is go into network, and change from dhcp to manual. Put in 0.0.0.0. for everything. Then apply and quit. Then return to that control panel and switch it back to dhcp. Apply and quit. Fixes it for me.

5. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    not necessarily. he could be using NAT in which case the correct IP would likely be 192.*.*.*

actually that's 169.*.*.*

there's a terminal command to release and renew a dhcp lease. i forget what it is though. :retard:

6. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    The unplugging thing seems to work, but it's a problem since my modem is up in the attic (I have a home LAN) with lots of black widows, so I don't go up there. Instead I just hit the breaker for its outlet. The only problem is, my comp gets such a surge from that (it's on the same circuit) that it boots up just like I pressed the on button (what, you think I'd leave everytihn on when I do that??)

Nothing wrong with my IP. I checked that on my router.

I only have 2 entries in the DNS servers field (max of 3)- would it help to have 3?

7. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    nah

8. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Didn't think he was running an internal network

Close enough

Wish I knew it, my way is so tedious.

9. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    you probably just have auto-boot enabled. it's for servers, in case the power goes out, it turns itself back on when power is restored. I think the setting is in the energy saver panel

10. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    oh, cool. But my comp isn't a real server, nor do I use it for serving- It's just an old 500 G4 i got from MacMall.

thx for the heads up.

I am not exactly running a network- my parents wanted one, but they're too cheap to buy another comp, so there is only one device that is served by my modem: this comp. I really dont understand why they dont just bring the modem down from the attic and dump the router and hub. (although I'm not sure about losing the firewall. Could I have the router between the comp and modem w/o a hub, or would that change anything, or what?)

11. 0111000001100100

0111000001100100 Peasant

Market Rating:
    your router has X amount of ports, you shouldn't need a hub. I have mine set up this way:cable modem-->router-->computer(and every now and tehn i hook up my laptop). and ask your ISP for a new cable modem, and see it that helps...i had a surfboard 3100d that was acting the same way, they came gave me a new one and it worked(they should do this for free). Also how many times do you have the cable going to the cable modem split, that affects it too, and also your street hook up can be flakey, i also had a squirl nawing at my calble and that caused my modem to drop out and act funky. If all that doesn't cure the problem, it's your ISP lol.

12. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Is your IP dynamic or static with your ISP? It may appear static with the router because IP's are sometimes assigned based on MAC addresses, so spoof a different MAC address and you may get a better connection to your ISP.

13. Beeble

Beeble Peasant

Market Rating:
    2 possible solutions that both worked for me:

1. Call tech support @ your ISP :yeah:

2. Open the network in sys prefs, go into PPPoE, check "connect using PPPoE" then click on "apply now" then click on "connect using PPPoE" again, then click "apply now" again. That renews your IP address, works for me every time.

And you don't want to shut off your modem in X either, I've heard that can damage system files.

14. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    The PPPoE solution won't work for him. PPPoE is a different protocol from DHCP.

15. Beeble

Beeble Peasant

Market Rating:
    i use DHCP too, but I also seem to get a renewed connection each time i do the PPPoE thing.

16. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Oh wait, I see, you're changing protocols then changing back again, that's the same as releasing and renewing, which he should do from his router.

Hitometer: 54,651,871 since 1995