Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Anyone deal with AppleLoans?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gekko, Feb 25, 2001.

1. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    Has anyone here ever dealt with AppleLoans? I've almost got my mom ready to order my G4 (ya, i'm 15...still a kid) but she doesn't want to fork out $5000 right now. So she pointed out the AppleLoans. Have any of you had experiences with them, good or bad?

Once i get this worked out it's ready to order my G4! For any of you who are interested, here's what I'll be ordering from the Apple Store:

733mhz G4
    512MB RAM - 1 DIMM
    60GB UltraATA HD
    Zip 250MB Drive
    SuperDrive
    NVIDIA GeForce3 - 64MB DDR-SDRAM *drools*
    AirPort Card
    AppleCare Protection Plan

Mac OS X
    Apple DVD-R media kit (5 pack)

2. solistus

solistus Peasant

Market Rating:
    bad idea...

DO NOT ORDER RAM FROM APPLE =-]
    go to http://www.dealmac.com and search, you can get it way cheaper

3. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    Bah...

I love ordering from Apple. Then you can customize all the crap that comes in your computer. Go somewhere else and all you can choose from is the packages, and you can't get that lovely GeForce3.

Plus by ordering from Apple i also get it earlier. With the huge demand for the 733mhz G4s and all the people who are going to want a GeForce3, who gets priority? People that order directly from Apple or the other stores?

I'm ordering from Apple, i just want to know if the AppleLoans are any good.

4. Lars

Lars Peasant

Market Rating:
    *gulp* 7... 7... 7... 733 mhz G4 with a... a... a Geforce 3.. 3... ?!? I AM JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have the best Mac of anyone here, and you have the best Mac ever released!

5. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    Hehe. I know, but that's the beauty of me buying late. Oh well, you'll get one eventually...you won't be able to resist.

Right now i'm using a 500mhz Powerbook G3 with 512MB RAM, 18GB HD, Airport and that good stuff, but i don't really like it. Laptops are great, but when you're sitting at home and going to be on your computer for a while, a desktop is much better.

Plus gaming! Ever try to play a FPS using a laptop? Not too fun. And sure, PCs are supposed to be great for gaming. But i should inform you that last time i was playing UT i returned the flag 3 times and had the most frags with 76...then i got a blue screen error! How much does that suck?

At least the G4 is worth every penny. You guys better hope this thing kicks ass...otherwise each and every one of you is going down for luring me into your world of Macs :D

[pc]:rocket:

And Jakeman, i really recommend one of my favorite smilies...we call it..."Ha ha you use a PC!" :) http://forums.cubesource.net/images/smilies/pc-crash.gif

6. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Geforce 3 will be shipping late March so don't expect your new computer until April at the earliest.

7. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    you'd save money if you got as little RAM as possible from apple and bought it elsewhere

8. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    I know...but it's easily worth the wait. Plus in the meantime there is some stuff i need to pick up.

Leather chair, Sound blaster Live!, speakers, some games, monitor, upgrade to StuffIt Deluxe 6, Norton Systemworks, gotta order BBEdit 6 among other stuff.

9. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    I can't buy 0MB can i? :)

I'm buying 512MB on 1 DIMM, because eventually i plan on upgrading to 1.5GB :D If i bought 256 from Apple and then 256 someplace else if i ever want to go to 1.5 that money is wasted because now i gotta buy 3 512MB sticks.

10. mud

mud Peasant

Market Rating:
    Grrrr. . . . . .

Lets look at the numbers here: Your age is 15. Your new computer will cost 4-5k dollars, and how much are you chipping in to buy it? grrrrrrrrr........ im 15, and i had to buy my own G4, when i was 14. hmmmmmm....

Ok, now for a little advice, why do you want 1.5gb of ram? with that much it will almost be a waste. eventully you get so much your computer has to take time to look for certin information. stick with 512. and buy only a little ram from apple. right now you can get some really good deals on ram, like 256mb for 80 dollars.

And dont forget GeForce3 isnt out yet, and wont be out for a little while.

11. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    I'm not really all that concearned about the RAM, more about the AppleLoans thing.

12. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    Look at it this way... If you get the Apple loan, you will end up paying slightly more than buying it outright...

13. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    gekko is turning into another Autolycus. :rolleyes:

14. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Okay. Find out the interest rates for Appleloan and the interest rate for a small loan at a local bank.

If there's less interest at the bank then get a loan for the total amount of the computer and pay with it.
    If the Appleloan has less interest then use that.

15. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    And pay over the shortest period possible. If you take the 4 year loan then you'll be paying about 150% the cost of the computer.

16. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    Jakeman - I don't get it :(

For the rest of you, thanks for the help. With the AppleLoan i would end up paying $792 more over 24 months.

But that's not gonna happen anymore. Why? My PC crashed. Yes, the daily routine of hitting the reset button for a PC user. You may wonder why i ever got on this thing, and it was because i needed a game of Unreal Tournament...it's an addiction. So i hopped on my PC, started the game and it crashed. No big deal (for a PC) so i restarted and did the same thing. Crashed again. Now i'm getting pissed, so i do this one more time. Guess what happens? It crashed again. Now i've promised myself if this thing crashes again I'm throwing it in the snow! So i botted up UT one last time, and it worked! 4th time's a charm! :) Anyway, i started playing and i got this real staticy sound...but i didn't dare start the game over. I turned down the sound and kept playing. 2 minutes later i see my desktop and my PC has frozen for the 5th time in 10 minutes.

So i go upstairs as i let it restart again, and talk to my mom. I told her how if i was using a G4 it wouldn't crash :) Then she said "Go ahead and order it" and i got a little scared. Did she get drunk while my PC was crashing on me? I asked her about the loan thing, she said it's no big deal. The worst possible thing that can happen is she has to pay cash for it, which she can do, she just doesn't want to.

So thanks for all your help with this, but i'll be ordering my G4 later today! And about the RAM thing, ordering only 256MB from Apple saves $400, then allow about $100 buying it elsewhere, i save enough to upgrade to photoshop 6 :) But does this other RAM give worse performance? And where would i go to buy it? Also, is it like the processor upgrades where a lot of things won't support it? I read in MacWorld a few times that it worked with a G4, but not the third party upgrades. Is RAM the same way?

17. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Autolycus is a guy on these forums who always buys the latest and greatest Apple products. It would seem your pockets are just as deep. :D

18. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    gekko!

you suck! I hate you. :rocket:

punkass kid has better toys than I do! :mad:

Jake, we need a smiley for "I'm jealous as hell and am going to track you down and burglarize your house and take your cool toys away while you are gone!"

19. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    ROFLMGDAO!

You gotta be kidding me, i don't have any cool toys.

27" Digital TV, 2x DVD players, PC (600mhz PIII, 768MB RAM, 37GB HD, Radeon 64MB, 17" monitor, DVD-ROM, CD-RW, Zip...), PowerBook G3 FireWire (500mhz, 512MB RAM, 18GB HD, AirPort), the G4 I'm ordering, Scanner (HP ScanJet 4200C), printer (HP DeskJet 960C), LE Champagne Palm Vx, and way too many video games for my own good.

But you guys can't top that? Come on, you have jobs, you should have money.

Please don't shoot!

20. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    Right

Some of us also have rent/mortgage, Car payments, college loans, credit cards, monthly utility bills, some of us have kids (not me thank goodness), and my mommy don't buy me food. ;)

but hey, enjoy your toys.
    and keep looking over your shoulder. :evil:

Hitometer: 54,506,211 since 1995