Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

another student gets tasered

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jakeman, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaiWCS10C5s

And here is another one from a while back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyvrqcxNIFs

The victims make these huge scenes and force the issue with their obstinance. They know damn well what is going to happen. They want it to happen. But they feign helplessness while prodding the security officers into assaulting them.

It's actually a decent troll tactic, if not a painfully obvious one, because it very effectively turns the public against the officers. It's also very disingenuous given that these childish scenes are used to forcibly affect political change by shortcutting genuine political debate over the issues being demonstrated.

In short, the taser victims are pathetic, as are the spectators who watch from the sidelines feeding off of regurgitated pieces of childish bullshit coming from the victim. The victim doesn't deserve public sympathy. He is responsible for his own actions.

Oh here's another similar demonstration ( http://www.crooksandliars.com/2007/...umenthals-unofficial-college-republican-tour/ ). This guy makes a really lame scene towards the end of the movie thereby forcing people to eject him from the room, a forced response which he uses as fodder to further his political insinuations. Utterly pathetic.

2. Kalgareth

Kalgareth Peasant

Market Rating:
    So you are saying that being "disruptive" at a political event justifies the use of physical force from 6 security personnel and 50,000 watts delivered with a taser? Your bias against the regurgitated "childish bullshit" precedes you Jake. That isn't the issue at all. Don't muddy the waters. The use of such force should be reserved for threatening situations that might endanger the public or the officers. What the hell did these people have to fear from a 21-year-old journalism major waving a book around?

3. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    It is not justified, but it is expected.

4. Kalgareth

Kalgareth Peasant

Market Rating:
    And it shouldn't have been. Blaming the victim is always convenient.

5. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Hmm, it seems expected to me. The officers are there to keep order, and these students are clearly working to disrupt that order. Yelling and screaming when an officer is trying to pacify you is generally met with more forceful action. It is better to act calmly and do what the officer says. If you disagree with the officer's actions then you can take it to court.

I have received two speeding tickets in my career as a driver. I defeated both of them in court. If I had yelled at the cop at the time of the ticket then it would have been much worse. Don't you agree?

6. Kalgareth

Kalgareth Peasant

Market Rating:
    Absolutely I agree with you, but I think you are missing the element of the confrontation that gets me so angered. Could this student have handled the situation better? Absolutely. Hecklers in political discussion forums such as this are relatively common, and the original intent of the officers to remove him from the room was warranted. However, his politics and behavior didn't warrant 6 officers wrestling him to the ground and tazering him when he was pleading with them not to.

Imagine if you will if you had indeed raised your voice and yelled at a cop giving you a speeding ticket. Do you think that your behavior would have warranted the same use of force?

The courts are a remedy for this overzealous use of force after the fact, but society shouldn't abdicate responsibility for being outraged and let the courts decide what was justifiable. This is as clear as day. The officers overreacted and should be punished accordingly.

If they behave like this in a formal setting with a former presidential candidate like John Kerry in the room against a college student, how the hell do you think they will behave when nobody is watching them?

7. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    You are arguing that the taser was not justified. I don't care about justification. That is a different topic.

My beef is about personal responsibility. I am sure the highway cop would have reacted in exactly the same way to me if I had gotten out of my car and convulsed all over the place, refusing the sign the ticket and running away from him. I would fully expect to be chased down, wrestled, or even tasered in that situation. Cops don't just go away when you resist them and everyone knows that. That student was putting himself out on display as a victim, professing to have done nothing while resisting arrest. He didn't even have a good reason to resist arrest because he hadn't done anything. So why did he do it? Either he was plain stupid or he was playing the victim in which case he got exactly what he wanted.

8. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    It is actually safer for both the officers and the troublemaker to use overwhelming force - 6 officers. One or two can do it, but they have to apply themselves more strenuously which can injure the arrestee. The taser? He continued to resist despite being told to stop. Police/security are not paid to lose a fight, so they won.

9. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,297287,00.html

It's fox news so I am skeptical, but the story raises interesting questions about the student's motivations. Apparently he has a history of being a prankster / troublemaker. Such a motive would seem to fit my observations and deductions.

10. Jakeman

Market Rating:
  11. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    I say good for the cops. Its just like when that lady was on her cell phone telling her friends that she was going to get arrested and to get all her friends to hurry over and harass the cop. I actually laughed when she finally got zapped.

Hitometer: 54,602,241 since 1995