Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Aggro Management

Discussion in 'Game Help' started by Scorpion, May 25, 2005.

1. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    I've been noticing how some people are making it really difficult for tanks to hold aggro. I'd just like to point out several mistakes that people make that makes it difficult for tanks to hold aggro.

1. Attacking when seeing a tank charge/swing and immediately engage. This usually draws aggro to the person since melee attacks are not guaranteed to hit. Mobs have a chance to dodge, parry, and sometimes the tank just plain miss. Please be aware of this as I've seen tanks immediate lose aggro upon charging. Let the tank get in a few hits before you engage, i.e. wait about 1.5 - 2 sec before you attack. If you're not sure if the tank is building aggro, watch the mob's health bar to see how much health it has.

2. I've notice that certain attacks draw a lot of aggro. A mistake that I've seen is that once the person draws aggro, he/she would keeps attacking the mob. This makes it really hard for a tank to draw aggro away from you. In order to help the tank, stop attacking the mob and run towards the tank so that he can taunt and draw aggro. Running away doesn't help since the tank would have to chase down the mob to draw aggro away and if you keep running, the mob might get out of the taunt radius. When I draw aggro with my mage, I usually stop casting and blink in the direction of the tank. I've seen Redhunt using Feign Death to lose aggro and that is a great tactic for hunters.

These are just a few examples to help out our tanks. Learning when to attack and when you're drawing aggro and knowing what to do makes it easier for tanks to do their job.

Jakeman likes this.
  2. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    Common sense but funny how many people (including myself) neglect it sometimes.

3. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    I agree with this completely. I also would like to point out that aggro management is a two-way affair. It is the responsibility of the group to not make the tank's job difficult, but it is the tank's job to take and hold aggro.

Warriors have two categories of aggro management skills - snap aggro, and aggro-building.

In the snap-aggro category we have

Taunt
    Mocking Blow
    Piercing Howl

any others? These bring mobs onto you instantly, but they are not permanent. This is what to use right after engaging if the warrior does not have aggro, OR if another class accidently gains aggro (often a mage or priest) and needs rescuing.

In the category of aggro-building skills we have

Sunder Armor
    Demoralizing Shout
    Thunder Clap
    Revenge

When you tank, here are some things to keep in mind:
    - Use defensive stance, and, if you have the talent Tactical Mastery, switch between stances to utilize them to their fullest potential.
    - Use demoralizing shout not only to reduce the attack power of the mobs, but to gather the aggro of multiple mobs onto you.
    - Thunder Clap is also excellent at gathering multiple mobs’ aggro.
    - For most of the fighting, you will be primarily switching between using sunder armor (to reduce the armor of the mob and produce threat, allowing you to hold aggro), shield block (helping to mitigate damage and set up for revenge), and revenge (to provide threat, a small amount of damage, and, if you have points in improved revenge, stun)
    - Always protect the priest or primary healer. Taunt is your friend, but follow that taunt with a Sunder. Remember, you are expendable; the rezzer (person who has the ability to resurrect) is not.

Shield Block depends on having a shield equipped, so on my alt warrior I have my 2h axe as well as a set of 1h sword and shield for when I need it. Most of the time a 2h weapon is even sufficient for tanking, but I would think that as you get higher the improved damage mitigation and ability to use Shield Block becomes much more valuable in an instance group tanking situation. Regardless, outside of an instance you pretty much should live with a 2h weapon and Battle Stance, only switching as needed.

Jakeman likes this.

Hitometer: 54,595,455 since 1995