Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

9/11

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MisterHalleck, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    i don't know what those words mean :p

i am generalizing, how am i not? wtf?

i will repeat... humans tend to be stupid in large numbers. this is mob mentality, haite. it's one of those, uhh, known concepts and stuff! ;)

2. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    bene=nice
    male=mean

don't you remember McHale's class? benevolent and malevolent

3. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    \Gen`er*al*i*za"tion\, n. [Cf. F. g['e]n['e]ralisation.] The act or process of generalizing; the act of bringing individuals or particulars under a genus or class; deduction of a general principle from particulars.

You are not bringing all groups under one tense, but rather just saying that on the whole groups are more destructive than constructive. I say that simple logic would dictate the opposite, otherwise if more groups were destructive we would have destroyed ourself. It's as simple as saying 2 is greater than 1. If more people are malefactors to society then society wouldn't be here.

Known concept? You mean like a postulate? I don't think so.

4. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    :wtf:

no one else is getting in on this, so it's just me vs you and we don't agree (how odd! :laugh: ). search google for "mob mentality," read up on it. i'm done. i declare that i can't handle the lightbulb controversy.

5. DunAzrael

DunAzrael Peasant

Market Rating:
    I clicked quote on the wrong person and didnt feel like going back, so I just edited it within the quote blocks. I am sorry if I Offended you. ;)

6. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Um, k, that search wasn't very fruitful... "mob mentality" (the quotation marks make google search for the exact phrase) gave me a lot of news about the press mobbing celebrities, some articles on the mafia, and even one about Microsoft.

7. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    /me skips over last two pages glancing at posts.

Amazing how you can spend so many posts arguing about something and come away feeling like you've accomplished nothing.

8. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Jake never provided a counter-example for my logic... which is usually how arguments go. You know, one person says something, you disprove it and then you say something, and you keep slapping it back at each other. Everyone here just thinks arguing is a matter of opinion and trying to convince everyone.

9. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    well, in a way, it is- you're trying to convince the other guy of your opinion. eventually it will (?) reach a point where one person cannot rebuff an argument made by the other and the argument comes to a close.

except in the case of moral issues where opinion is strictly based on personal ethics code :evil:

10. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    It can be, but there are many standards for ethics established in philosophy and psychology. Lawrence Kohlburg, a professor at Harvard University in developmental psychology defined social morals as a progression in 6 stages.

Code:
        LEVEL           STAGE             SOCIAL ORIENTATION

Pre-conventional      1            Obedience and Punishment

2         Individualism, Instrumentalism,
                                            and Exchange

Conventional        3                "Good boy/girl"

4                 Law and Order

Post-conventional     5                Social Contract

6              Principled Conscience

The first level of moral thinking is that generally found at the elementary school level. In the first stage of this level, people behave according to socially acceptable norms because they are told to do so by some authority figure (e.g., parent or teacher). This obedience is compelled by the threat or application of punishment. The second stage of this level is characterized by a view that right behavior means acting in one's own best interests.

The second level of moral thinking is that generally found in society, hence the name "conventional." The first stage of this level (stage 3) is characterized by an attitude which seeks to do what will gain the approval of others. The second stage is one oriented to abiding by the law and responding to the obligations of duty.

The third level of moral thinking is one that Kohlberg felt is not reached by the majority of adults. Its first stage (stage 5) is an understanding of social mutuality and a genuine interest in the welfare of others. The last stage (stage 6) is based on respect for universal principle and the demands of individual conscience. While Kohlberg always believed in the existence of Stage 6 and had some nominees for it, he could never get enough subjects to define it, much less observe their longitudinal movement to it.

http://www.nd.edu/~rbarger/kohlberg.html

Last edited: Sep 26, 2002
  11. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    meh. my philosopy is "everybody has a price". Anyone will do anything if you tell them the right things to manipulate them. nobody will do something that they think will have a negative effect on themselves- even Mother Teresa was being greedy by pursuing personal satisfaction in her quest to help others.

Level 6 people with 'principles' wil be hurt in the end because their small brains cannot adapt to changing situations (like cannibalism and the Donner Party, for example.)

Hitometer: 54,651,430 since 1995