Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

your opinions please

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by BrakShow, Dec 29, 2000.

1. BrakShow

BrakShow Peasant

Market Rating:
    Hello all,

Santa didn't put a damn thing under my tree related to gaming or my computer. Partially because I am waiting to see if the Radeon PCI version will be compatible with my Sonnet G3 L2 upgrade card (the proformance3 I tried crashed my system badly). So assuming it will work when they ship at the end of this month, I want to get a 1st person shooter that will get some good framerates on my machine.

Since a 300MHz G3 is kinda slow by today's standards and the old 6500 power PC bus it is still running on is really slow, I was considering some of the old games on the market that are new to the Mac. I am hoping they would run really, really well, and am hoping some of you have played them and can give me your opinions/recommendations/warnings about them.

They are Shogo M.A.D. and SiN Gold. I also was thinking of getting Star Trek Voyager, but thought, since reviewers said it was too short and the system requirements are high that it wouldn't be worth it, please confirm or deny this with regards to my (weak) system. Also if you have any other games to recommend for me feel free to lemme know.

Thanks,

------------------
    Brak,
    ------------------
    Wait a minute...I'm, I'm sittin on it, Aww man! I'm sorry sandwich.

2. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    What about Myth 1 or 2 or any of the Marathon games? They are some great ones.

------------------
    Cheese makes the world a tastier place!

3. mud

mud Peasant

Market Rating:
    Elite force on you comp even with a raedon wont be all that great. I would suggest maybe just saving money for a new computer. EF has the highest system requirments of any game out now, besides sacrafice which is out for the PC.

------------------
    mud

"A man who knows himself is a man, but a man who does not know himself is not a man but a three legged ratman"

4. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I had a friend that had a 9600 machine. It was running a 300MHz G3 upgrade card I believe. Then he got a Rage Orion vid card. Quake 3 ran absolutely beautifully! Considering the fact that you have the same processor but will have a WAY better vid card (Radeon) I would recomment Quake 3 as the ultimate FPS.

------------------
    lamo mac boy

5. Lars

Lars Peasant

Market Rating:
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jakeman:
    I had a friend that had a 9600 machine. It was running a 300MHz G3 upgrade card I believe. Then he got a Rage Orion vid card. Quake 3 ran absolutely beautifully! Considering the fact that you have the same processor but will have a WAY better vid card (Radeon) I would recomment Quake 3 as the ultimate FPS.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought you said in another post that he had a ATI Nexus 32 MB?

------------------
    News editor for MacGameNews.com
    lars@macgamenews.com

6. Zitta

Zitta Peasant

Market Rating:
    I really enjoyed Ceasar III. And there is this sligtly odd game with low requirement you might enjoy: Fallout.

------------------
    It's too bad she won't live, but then again who does...

7. olon97

olon97 Peasant

Market Rating:
    Fallout rules! I ordered a copy recently out of nostalgia... I can track down who I got it from if you're interested, as normally it's a hard game to get these days.

8. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    proformance3 !? BLEH! that card is probably the worst piece of video hardware i have ever seen... dont bother. the 4 seems interesting though.. dual monitors on one card, each at 128 bit, or a single monitor at 256... nice concept.

9. BrakShow

BrakShow Peasant

Market Rating:
    Hi everybody...thx for the feedback...

Yeah, I've pretty much ruled out Voyager, due to the system req. And I thought about Q3m but it might be high on the requiements end as well. I believe a 6500 is slower than a 9600 to start with (bus speed too?).

I have heard a lot of people love fallout and thought about getting it even though it is very difficult to find. But isn't it a RPG? I'm looking for a FPS.

I have Myth 2, it was cool, but got a bit repetative...I never quite finished it. And Marathon was very cool, but I got stuck in a spot and started playing a lot of Carmageddon 2 and just forgot about playing anymore Marathon. I also ran Unreal acceptably on this system with just a voodoo1 card, but it was choppy sometimes...I want something a bit better than all those but not as much of a system hog as Voyager or Dues Ex.

That's why I was thinking SiN maybe...it's based on the Quake 2 engine with some signifigant enhancement but should run well on my system. And Shogo is based on the LithTech engine and supposedly ran decent on lower end machines even back when it first came out so it should run great for me. They both sound a bit better than Quake 1or 2 or unreal, but I was wondering if anyone here has played either of them...

SiN or Shogo?

------------------
    Brak,
    ------------------
    Wait a minute...I'm, I'm sittin on it, Aww man! I'm sorry sandwich.

10. Kalgareth

Kalgareth Peasant

Market Rating:
    RUNE.... Try this game if you want an fps that is a bit different... I have been completely consumed by this game for the last week or so since Xmas. It rocks! I would recommend it to about anyone. The sys requirements are fairly high but it works nicely on my G3 400 mhz with the normal Rage Pro card... Give it a try...Well at least download the demo...

Kal

11. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Lars, you're right. I'm spacing out. It WAS a Nexus 32MB. Still, the Radeon is a lot better than the Nexus.

------------------
    lamo mac boy

Hitometer: 53,587,988 since 1995