Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Yay I'm finally going to get a Mac!!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PhatJB, Jun 27, 2002.

?

Which computer should I pick

1. iMac: 40GB hard drive, 128MB of RAM for $1399

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. eMac: 40GB hard drive, 640MB of RAM for $1399

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  3. Screw it, NOTHIN!

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. PhatJB

PhatJB Peasant

Market Rating:
    Finally I'm going to get a Mac, I've always wanted one but I've just been a PC user, the computer I got right now needs an update in 1 area, RAM.

It has an 80 gig hard drive, and only 128MB of RAM but I will upgrade to 512 soon, and it's a Sony Vaio with Windows XP Pro and over $2,000 worth of software.

On the other hand I spent 3 hours checking out Mac's at the Apple store... I want something where my mom's check book won't bust (if ya know what I mean). So I checked out the iMac, me and my mom were really impressed with that but we wanted the $1399 since we don't have cash flow like some of y'all, but it only had 128RAM and a 40Gig hard drive.

So we check out the eMac, very nice system I might add but the screen isn't as good as the iMac's, but this costs $1099 and an extra $300 to upgrade to 640MB of RAM and it has a 40gig hard drive, same price as the iMac but 512 more RAM but the screen isn't as good, what should I pick!?

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    i saw the eMac in person recently. the screen is actually very very nice. the picture and color contrast are excellent. the only disadvantages are those that come with all CRT displays: refresh rate causing eye strain for some people and emissions that are hard on your eyes. if you wear glasses or get a glare screen for the monitor then it's not that bad at all (they ease eye strain and block harmful emissions).

the iMac has a flat panel so it has no refresh rate and no harmful emissions. the only disadvantage to flat panels right now is pixel refresh which is really only noticable in fast paced 3D games like Quake 3, etc. the slower pixel refresh of flat panels causes what looks like lower frames per second in games like Quake 3... it's not that bad, but it's certainly noticable. CRT monitors are better for these sorts of games.

so the main question is, will you be doing lots of gaming? if yes, get the eMac. if no, get the iMac. of course, a G4 tower would be better for gaming, but if your budget doesn't allow that kind of spending...

3. PhatJB

PhatJB Peasant

Market Rating:
    I'm pretty sold on the eMac, I only like the screen in the iMac but they both run the same cept for with the eMac I will have 640MB of RAM instead of 128MB of RAM

4. BaleFire

BaleFire MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    go for the emac. RAM = win. you'll need it for games, and for other stuff it's very nice to be able to run multiple programs at the same time. I often run flashMX and photoshop at the same time which i couldn't do on 128 megs of RAM (or if i did everything would be all spazztick and applying filters would take years). Having to constantly quit one program to open another is a pain. so my vote goes for the emac cause ya get more RAM.

5. PhatJB

PhatJB Peasant

Market Rating:
    Thanks for the advice, you guys are pretty helpful here

6. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    i have had images enabled in signatures for a long time now. i think you are the first to use one (besides smilies). :D

7. KroeT

KroeT Peasant

Market Rating:
    On my forums I have signatures default on for new threads and default off for replies. Users can still check the box to include the sig in replies as well, but I found them to be too lazy to do so :)

8. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Oh God no. I hate sigs with big ass banners. They piss me off.

9. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    actually i'm inclined to agree. that image is pretty big for a signature. make it smaller please. :)

10. Beeble

Beeble Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yes. If you do anything at all with high-end software such as Macromedia and Adobe products, go for the ram. It really helps for games too. Trust me, you won't be unsatisfied with your purchase. Good Luck!

11. PhatJB

PhatJB Peasant

Market Rating:
    hehe, no one else uses sigs?

12. PhatJB

PhatJB Peasant

Market Rating:
    All the other forums I go to the default size is 600x150 and mine is 333x99, its very small

13. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Those must be some terrible forums. I say your sig should be no longer than two lines. Any more and it's no longer a sig, it's a ****ing book.

14. PhatJB

PhatJB Peasant

Market Rating:
    hehe alrighty, it's off

15. Eupfhoria

Eupfhoria Peasant

Market Rating:
    wait a sec, where are you spending $300 on ram? You can pick up a 512 for $75 at www.dealram.com. Hopefully that is close enough to your range so you can get the iMac and the 512.

Hitometer: 53,932,930 since 1995