Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

WWDC

Discussion in 'Mac' started by Elbereth, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    Jakeman likes this.
  2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Xeons aren't known for competitive performance unless these are new Xeons based on Intel's new core architecture in which case they should own.

3. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    They are.

4. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    Xserve info here: http://www.apple.com/xserve/specs.html
    Up to 2x3GHz dual-core Xeon 5100 processors, 32GB fully buffered ECC RAM, and 3x750GB 7200 RPM SATA or 3x300GB 15K RPM SAS drive.

5. KleaningLady

KleaningLady MSC Knight

Market Rating:
    They say that Mac Pro delivers twice the performance than Power Mac and is also $800 cheaper.
    The Xserve servers is up to five times faster than the old server, and costs $1,000 less.

i had an older dual xeon for my gaming system and it wasn't great for gaming at all. BSOD at least once a day. :(

now i have Intel core 2 duo e6600, 2gig ram, Geforce 7900GT. what a difference! :)

6. Unshra

Unshra Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    That is one of the reasons why I am excited about the MacPro as the Xeons are from the same architecture as the Conroe though they have a slightly faster FSB then the Core 2 Duo Extreme (1333 vs 1066.) So they should scream and with Apple finally working on OpenGL we should see native Mac games running right along the PC games if not a bit faster once the OpenGL issues are taken care of. However for those that dual boot it wont really matter.

My only complaint is the options for video cards, I hope to see Nvidia start cranking out Mac versions of their top of the line cards. Until then I think I will hold off on getting one as I am quite happy with my MBP 17".

Now one thing I want to know is this, if you get the new MacPro and decide to dual boot with XP (or later on Vista) will the new Nvidia cards work? From my understanding it's more of a driver issue then a right now and if that is so then it might be possible to run one of the PC cards on the Mac under windows though that is one gamble I would rather someone else take first. ^_^

-Unshra

7. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    The only thing stopping you from running pc specific hardware on an intel mac is drivers. You can run mostly anything when booting into windows.

Hitometer: 53,849,178 since 1995