Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Windows XP Professional - Installation Question

Discussion in 'PC Forum' started by Alteren, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Alteren

Alteren MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    Hi guys. Sorry to bother you with what will most likely turn out to be a simple question.

Right now, I have Windows XP Home edition my laptop (how it came when ordered). For one of my classes this semester, I will need to have XP professional on there. I was able to order XP professional from my college for a very good price.

It is not the upgrade version of XP pro. It is the full version. The upgrade version was not availbable to be purchased from the college.

Is there any installation option (or method of installation) available that won't wipe out my file system? I'd like to not have to reinstall the program I already have on there.

Thanks guys.

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Simply inserting the CD from the desktop should bring up an upgrade option if one is available for you. Installing "over the top" is possible, though I am told it requires special preparation.

3. Alteren

Market Rating:
    That's the idea I'm getting. If that doesn't work, I'm just going to go online, download drivers, and burn them to a CD and then live with reinstalling all the programs :-).

Thanks Jaden :-)

4. Alteren

Market Rating:
    Screw it. I'd rather just do a clean install anyway. I've downloaded all my drivers to a folder so I can burn them onto a disk and be ready :-)

5. KleaningLady

KleaningLady MSC Knight

Market Rating:
    i think you can install it so you can have dual-boot. You would have to pick which OS to boot to when you start your laptop.

6. Alteren

Market Rating:
    I just clean installed XP Pro. I understand why people dual boot, but it's just not something that's "for me" :-)

Hitometer: 53,586,997 since 1995