Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Win XP on mac intel

Discussion in 'Mac' started by cowofwar, Mar 16, 2006.

1. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Jakeman likes this.
  2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    The contest site isn't up, so I can't read about the process.

I don't know if MS cares or not. I somehow expect them to break compatibility with a critical windows update or server pack or something.

3. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    I wouldn't if I were them. They already allow Windows to be run on Macs via emulation, why would they care if it runs native? Just means more potential customers to a company that only makes software anyway. The hardware shouldn't matter.

Note that the same is NOT true for Apple, who care very much about which hardware can run OS X.

4. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Microsoft doesn't care about XP running on macs because they're a software developer and as long as they sell windows they don't care what you're running it on.

Apple doesn't care because os x is still tied to their hardware but now people have less of a reason not to buy a mac. By not stopping anyone from getting windows to run on a mac while at the same time stepping back they absolve responsibility and stand to gain from all the computer literate people who want a mac but can't give up some of their critical applications.

edit - well they sort of care due to brand dilution but this hack will pretty much stay out of the average user's hands so we'll see how apple responds. There really isn't anything that either microsoft or apple can do to stop it. Microsoft can't hack anything in because windows has to run on pretty much any of the infinite number of distributor pc variations. Apple can't really do much because the hack is at too low of a level.

Same goes for those people who need a windows computer for work but want a mac for home. They can just get one notebook and run both.

To install this you basically need to make your own windows install cd from a computer with an existing xp installation. You toss in a couple extra files along with the i386 folder and then bless the cd with terminal to get it to load at startup. The guy wrote a custom CSM to hack in BIOS support into EFI. Note I really have no idea what I'm talking about but that's what I read elsewhere.

5. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    http://homepage.mac.com/raruler/Winxponmac_0.1.zip
    I'm sure the link wont last for long.

6. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    This guy thinks running Windows natively on a Mac is a waste of time now that VMware can run practically natively now that it doesn't have to rewrite instructions for different processors.

http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=08455

Of course, he's a big virtualization geek. He must work for IBM, or an IBM business partner :)

7. Unshra

Unshra Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Sad thing about VMware is the lack of 3D acceleration, at least with dual boot we have a chance of playing pc games without having the need of a second box which is a nice option.

-Unshra

8. Kaeric

Kaeric Peasant

Market Rating:
  9. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    Everything you need. <3 Apple.

10. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
  11. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Hahaha, that's awesome! Apple is teh besto. Way to thumb their noses at the Dells of the world.

What happened to "we won't support Windows on a Mac, but we won't prevent it either?" (I suspect this was the real plan all along.) I love it.

Meanwhile, MS is sitting back laughing all the way to the bank, but whatever.

12. Wulf

Market Rating:
    Actually, I would think that its Apple thats laughing all the way to the bank. This will sell hardware when X.5 comes out.

13. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    Now I just need a copy of windows. :D

14. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    so, tell me... If you install the WinXP on a Mactel machine, how would you know if the machine would run specific software when the system requirements are based off of Windows machine specs...?

Say, you need Win XP and a P4 2.5ghz processor to run it? (Obviously, I have never bought Windows software, so not sure of the exact req. lingo...)

How would this translate into the iMac Intel Core Duo 2GHz...?

15. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    The drivers are still not optimized so the performance is pretty good but not as good as the equivalent system on native windows. Once the drivers are polished there wont be a difference.

16. Wulf

Market Rating:
    So, pretty good for an early beta eh?

17. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    I was going to get a laptop but now I'll probably get a macbook. I'm not sure if I want to get the new intel ibook or wait and get the next macbook pro revision.

18. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    I want a MacBook too man, gimme

19. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I now want a Macbook to run Windows exclusively, or I might play with Linux. I still can't stand OS X.

20. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    Old habits die hard, or are you just anti-Apple-software?

Rumour mill says MacBooks will be released in May... 1.67 Core Duo, (maybe solo) 13.3" widescreen, iSight and all that fancy stuff.

Hitometer: 53,550,140 since 1995