Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

we have no world cup thread!?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DunAzrael, Jul 9, 2006.

1. DunAzrael

DunAzrael Peasant

Market Rating:
    OWNED

I dont know if any of you follow WC, but this years was the weirdest I've seen in twenty years.

2. dcwilson26

dcwilson26 MSC Knight

Market Rating:
    Yeah... I saw that. What a dumbass!

3. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Yeah nothing like getting red carded out of the final game.

By the way, reason #100 why soccer will never truly catch on in this country: Matches decided via penalty kicks.

4. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    hell yeah. I was for italy the whole time... and that really was messed up. gotta wonder what the italian said though

5. DunAzrael

DunAzrael Peasant

Market Rating:
    perhaps it involved
    [​IMG]

6. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    Soccer has caught on in the U.S. to some extent. I live in D.C. United territory, and that team always has a great following, great energy at the games, and decent attendence (about 15,000-25,000 depending on the importance of the match). However, it will never surpass American Football, Basketball or Baseball in popularity. These sports are firmly entrenched in the media, with wide fan bases, and there's just no room to squeeze them out. Look at hockey, one locked out season, and they're fast becoming an afterthought in American sports.

As for the WC, the fouls in the earlier rounds seemed to be excessive and took away from the flow of the game. I wish the refs would have handed out more yellow cards for all those freakin' divers. My god, it's an epidemic out there now.

7. dcwilson26

dcwilson26 MSC Knight

Market Rating:
    Personally I think that FIFA made a point in making the US look bad. First they put us in a pool with the #2 ranked team in the world: Czech, a talented upstart team: Gauna, and the eventual winner: Italy. And we're supposed to be the #5 team. If that isn't a hard pool, tell me what is. And then when it looks like we might beat Italy, they red card two of our players to make us play 2 men down. And if you didn't know, no team has ever scored a goal with 9 men in the WC. AND THEN... when we DO score a goal with 9 men, they take it away for a very borderline call. In my opinion, if it was Italy who scored, they would have let it go. And if all that isn't bad enough, we are without two of our best players for the 3rd game against a team who has already beat the #2 team in the world. And who was this referee who gave out these red cards? Only the same referee who was suspended from last years WC for "call irregularities". Interesting...

The rest of the world can't beat us at anything else, so they just keep practicing this third world game we call soccer. So if we ever look like we might win, the world has to make sure that won't happen. I guess they have to have something to hang their hat on, even if its a sport as utterly stupid as soccer.

8. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I am reminded of the dream team.

9. DunAzrael

DunAzrael Peasant

Market Rating:
    Wait, didn't we get beat by the italians in basketball as well?

10. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I thought the dream team owned it.

11. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    Lost the baseball World Cup or whatever they call it this year, won the BRONZE medal in basketball in the last summer olympics, didn't even sniff the gold medal in Hockey in this past winter olympics. Yeah, the U.S. is dominating International sports.

BTW: my Black-and-Red boys of D.C. United put on a clinic last night against the Scottish Premier League champions Celtic FC 4-0. [Peter Nowak for next National Team Coach 2006 Campaign :yipee:]

12. DunAzrael

DunAzrael Peasant

Market Rating:
    enough said......

13. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    Hell yeah. Last game I went to was more than two years ago. Is that kid Freddy Adu still playing?

14. DunAzrael

DunAzrael Peasant

Market Rating:
    Im going to see Brazil play Emerica in Houston on the 9th. Can't wait to see Ronaldhino.

15. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yeah. But this is most likely his last season. Rumor has it he's going to either Chelsea or ManU after this season.

United is dominating the league so far this year, 13-1-5 (for those of you who don't follow the sport, that's 13 wins, 1 loss and 5 ties).

Hitometer: 53,952,417 since 1995