Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Warning! Realms items potentially at risk...

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by olon97, Dec 31, 2000.

1. olon97

olon97 Peasant

Market Rating:
    I don't want to go into too much detail, although I'll fill in the blanks if it becomes common knowledge.

Basically, since 1.04 more and more high level players ranked on the ladders have noticed items going missing from individual characters. They claim that their b.net account passwords have not been hacked. The main argument is they had other characters on their accounts with much more valuable items who didn't get touched, only the ladder character got robbed.

I've seen a report that explains that all someone needs is the name of your character to get access to your character's items. The means of doing this seems plausible to me, but has not been confirmed by trusted sources yet.

In any case, the following precautions aren't a bad idea:
    1. If you have a character who's name might be well known outside of people you trust, consider muling your best items to a different character (with a non-obvious name) for a while.

2. For characters that you continue to keep good gear on, don't advertise your "wealth" in public chat channels. It was never nice to brag, but now there might be a consequence.

3. If you frequent the trading channel, consider doing your messages from an empty character / account, and changing to the character with the items in question only when you have an agreed upon trade.

4. Try not to tick people off in games. Chances are if they threaten to "hack your account" the threat might not be an idle one.

I hope this is a hoax and don't mean to alarm people. Your realms characters at the moment aren't as secure as you thought they were. Blizzard representatives were made aware of the problem today and are looking into it. Better safe than sorry though.

2. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    It doesn't look like a hoax. Just perusing the boards shows that this has been happening for about four days now and nobody had responded/clued in. Could be a bug with the 1.04 Patch. Geoff Frasier Did mention that Bliz can restore characters, so it might not be that bad...

------------------
    24/7 never beggin' for a rain-check...

3. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    jeez olon, you trying to make me paranoid? :P

that would really suck to come back from vacation to a bunch of empty characters...

4. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I mock those who make such idle threats like, "I'm gonna hack your account." I had one guy tell me that and I told him to do his worst. This was back in the Diablo 1 days. I had just killed him (legitly) and he threatened to hack my account unless I resurrected him. Anyways, I told him to do his worst. After a couple minutes he told me that he had hacked in through the FTP port and corrupted my BIOS and deleted several essential files from my Windows directory. I told him that my computer was running fine. He said I had to restart before the damage would take effect. I told him that Macs don't have Windows directories. He didn't reply and just left the game. [​IMG]

------------------
    lamo mac boy

5. olon97

olon97 Peasant

Market Rating:
    Love that anectdote Jakeman! [​IMG]

I suppose the real hackers who would be set up to exploit this security hole wouldn't go around making childish threats, they would just identify marks and go silently about their business. Apparently Asia is hardest hit and the US Servers have mostly only had scattered incidents with ladder players. Personally, I'm not going paranoid, but I'll feel much better when blizzard comes out and says the problem has been solved.

6. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by olon97:

4. Try not to tick people off in games. Chances are if they threaten to "hack your account" the threat might not be an idle one.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

this is easier said then done.
    I was playing a little bit yesterday, trying to get a little exp and checking to make sure that my paladins did suck before deleting them. Every game I played in ysterday, someone went hostile. Really hostile, not just clicking the hostile button, but actively, aggressively hostile (including one hack threat).

The only thing I did to earn their ire was politely decline to join a party.

watch your backs out there folks. getting ugly.

7. ogopogo

ogopogo Peasant

Market Rating:
    Oh well at least its still better than it was in diablo 1

------------------
    "comedy is what happens to other people"

8. Hannibal~MAC

Hannibal~MAC Peasant

Market Rating:
    I cannot understand why some people will waste the time and energy to hack into someones d2 account. Sure, if you hack their stuff and ruin their day they will be really pissed, but who cares? Must of the people you see on battle net you will never see again. I guess some people are just losers.

------------------
    "Our soldiers will not need winter gear, for we will be in Moscow before the first winter frosts"- Field
    Marshal Wilhelm Keitel, Commander in Chief of Nazi Military Operations, 2 weeks before the invasion
    of the Soviet Union.

9. Kalgareth

Kalgareth Peasant

Market Rating:
    The problem with Diablo 2 is that it has this small group of ebay traders that are making money... I can almost guarantee that all of the hacks going on are solely for profit... It is all about CASH FLOW!!!!

Kal

10. olon97

olon97 Peasant

Market Rating:
    Battle Net Realm Status

Sounds like the problem has been addressed and if you've been robbed you can tag your character to revert to its December 19 state.

The rollback might lead to some duping of good items (attempted at least, I don't reccomend it), but it was the only reasonable thing they could do after a huge massacre of Hardcore characters that occurred earlier today (like the top ten living HC chars on US East who all perished withing the space of half a day).

11. Keeksy

Keeksy Peasant

Market Rating:
    **** the realms! I only still use them for chatting. [​IMG]

------------------
    Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.

12. disseff

disseff Peasant

Market Rating:
    Jakeman.... that story u said happened to me in a diff way on D2. I told this guy to shut up and go get stuff himself and stop begging and play. He responded eith saying he could "hack" into my stash and take everything. [​IMG] of course I said ok and told him to take what ever he wanted. He said he was in my directory but I gotta mac so he did the same thing ur guy did. Cept I Pk'd my guy about 10times first cuz he said he could kick my a$$. (He was lvl 21, me 35 [​IMG] )

Hitometer: 53,845,694 since 1995