Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Waiting for WoW, two RPG's

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Haite, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    I picked up Knights of the Old Republic and Prince of Persia: Sands of Time based on reviews. I needed something to work on while waiting for the WoW beta (and if I don't get accepted). Definitely wanted an RPG fix. Besides, I might go crazy if I didn't have something to finish wasting away my senior year with; my grades aren't suffering enough yet!

KotOR is awesome. Same engine as Neverwinter Nights (I'm pretty sure); the gameplay is very similiar, and yet they jazzed it up a whole bunch. Story and atmosphere are both very engrossing.

Has the same abundance of side-quests and unique rewards as NWN, and the Dark Side/Light Side relationship seems to be very similiar (in terms of gameplay impact) to the alignment system of NWN. The nice thing though is that all the voice dialogue between your party members really accentuates the distinctions, and helps you to role play much better.

For example, in the mission I just finished before coming here, I had to retrieve a Swoop Bike part from an evil gang and return it to a "noble" biker gang (they simply raced and didn't harass people on the streets and whatnot). Well, when I went to get the part, one of the commanders of the evil gang tried to convince me to work for them instead of the good gang.

When I started inquiring about what they'd pay me to work for them, one of the members of my party started arguing with this commander guy about how she loved the leader of the other gang, but then the commander started convincing her that she was being used. Of course, she wasn't being used, but this evil commander was manipulating her into thinking so, and had I accepted his offer, it would have switched my allegiance slightly towards the dark side, just in the same way as such decisions affect your alignment in NWN.

Eventually I decided not to join the new gang, and 30 seconds later had killed said commander with the help of said party member and other party member (wookie, rarr). Nothing beats hearing wookie roar followed by a nine foot hairball pummeling some dude with dual-weilded swords. I'm going to build a light side Jedi Consular.

Consulars are basically what Yoda is, Episode 2 notwithstanding. They focus on force power and diplomatic savvy at the expense of direct combat ability. Other types are Sentinel and Guardian. Guardian is pure combat, I guess what you'd see in Luke Skywalker in RotJ (he shows very little force power, just pro with a saber). The Sentinel is a mix, I would suppose like Qui-Gon or Obi Wan. The Emperor would be a dark side Consular, Darth Maul would be a dark side Guardian, and Count Dooku would be a dark side Sentinel.

Anyway, so far it returned the joy to Star Wars after the last movies; definitely has the magic of the originals.

Haven't installed Prince of Persia yet, but I've seen several reviews that it's one of the top games of the year - real high production quality.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2004
  2. kraahl

kraahl Peasant

Market Rating:
    I fear Prince of Persia will suck if you donĀ“t own some sort of controller, it is a console game at heart.

I played it a bit on my PS2, fun as hell, I have to get a better copy. ( I played a burnt dvd-rip of the game with all movies removed, it also frooze pretty often)

3. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    I remember playing the original Prince of Persia side scroller ages ago ...

It was fun.

4. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    blue lightsaber = guardian
    gold = sentinel
    green = consular

5. mud

mud Peasant

Market Rating:
    KOTOR is one of the great RPGs out there. It is worth at least two plays through, once as a light side jedi and a second time going dark.

6. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Re: Re: Waiting for WoW, two RPG's

Well, that's KotOR's take on it, but I just gave my guesstimations based on what you see the characters do in the movies. There's no way Luke is a Consular, you only see him do like two force powers... ever. Whereas Yoda whips out his hand and throws the lightning back at Dooku, force mega-ownage.

I became a Padawan today. I'm a light-side aligned Consular. I use two green sabers with crystals in them that I got from the Crystal Cave on Dantooine. Nice little boost. When I first got my saber for the third trial, I used like 10 medpacks trying to beat that fallen Padawan chick at the ruins. But now that I've gained a few levels and have the second level in the Force Push tree, and second level in Two Weapon mastery, I can hold my own. I'm not as strong in raw killing power as Bastila with her double blade, but I have better defense and higher hitpoints (and the push whirlwind thing, which I'll probably give her anyway).

Of course I'll play through again to avoid all the mistakes I make, and to try Dark Side. But I really hate role playing evil, it just irks me, even if they're just characters. I guess I'm a pansy. :D

7. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Although the NWN engine has never seen eye to eye with my Radeon 8500, but I decided to shy away from computer upgrades. I'll be going portable for college in less than a year.

I have to jack the settings way down to make it playable. And then still, on places like the Taris Upper City boardwalks, frames became noticable.

8. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    Its not the NWN engine I believe... I think its one of the Unreal engines?

9. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    I double checked on it, and it is in fact Bioware's Aurora engine. http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/458/458655p1.html

It might as well not be though, they sliced it up so much that it's ten times the beauty of Neverwinter.

http://vaultmedia.ign.com/rpgvault/image/swkotor04010217.jpg
    http://vaultmedia.ign.com/rpgvault/image/swkotor04010223.jpg
    http://vaultmedia.ign.com/rpgvault/image/swkotor04010209.jpg

The only thing that's irked me so far is the flying manta ray on Dantooine. I meant to take screenshots of it when I saw it, but it's visible in the top left of that third screenshot, although the head is obstructed by the IGN logo. It just looks so cheap, like they took the model straight from some marine biology program or something. But I'm sure I'm the only person who would nit pick about that.

10. Autolycus

Market Rating:
    Re: Re: Re: Waiting for WoW, two RPG's

errr you didnt kill her did you?

11. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yeah, you're supposed to figure out how to get her to go back to the light side. Took like ten minutes going through all the dialogue sequences to figure out the correct order for me.

12. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    I turned her back. I'm going uber light side with my first character. I've almost got him 100% light, this is him:

http://members.cox.net/pdowney/char.jpg

So far I've screwed up two of the small side quests due to game order.

First one was on Dantooine, when you're doing the family feud quest. You find Casus' body on the Matale estate, and you have to raid it and take the items back to Sandral. But, I rescued Shen first and I can't get inside Sandral estate to give the items back to the father.

Second is on Kashyyyk, where that items dealer, Eli, has Matton, the mechanic, as his slave because of debt. I salvaged the droid in the lower Shadowlands, but I finished the Wookie quest first. Once they start their rebellion, the humans all leave, so I couldn't take the droid head back to Matton to prove Eli's scam.

Also, I gave my Krayt dragon pearl to the sand people chieftan, and all I got was their history. It was nice, and told me some more about the builders, but had no associated quest whatsoever. I could have kept on using the pearl in one of my lightsabers. Although, it did give me plenty of hilarious dialogue with HK-47 (who would have loved nothing more than to raze the entire enclave).

I think my next character will be the polar opposite, 100% dark side. And I want to see if I can get Bastila to fall for me, instead of giving all the proper Jedi answers to her when you have conversations for her side quest.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2004
  13. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Weak but wise.

14. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Big post update :stupid: :D

15. Autolycus

Market Rating:
    my character was 100% light side AND bastila fell for me. :hump:

we made out. wooo :rolleyes:

16. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    I love that game... I just love to Force Persuade everyone and HK-47 is hilarious :D

17. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    I want some virtual lovin' :D

In my game I picked all the right Jedi answers so her final answer was that she realized she had to suppress her emotions and stay true to the Jedi code.

18. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Okay, the trouble with KotOR is how linear it is. All my praise still stands for the first time through. You can make a second character if you want to play dark side or something, but you're really going through the same basic story again. So that's that.

I installed Prince of Persia just now. It's also an awesome game. The gameplay is really cool, and the control system just melds into it. It's beautiful just to watch the animations in a fight. Plus when you kill enemies, you have to "take their sand", so I get a little kick roleplaying like Shang Tsung style - "your sand is mine!"

Anyways, the only thing dodgy about it is the camera. Like you'll have to jump from a wall over to a little walkway on the edge of another wall perpendicular to where you're jumping from, but the camera is watching from a distance and perpendicular to the target wall, so there's no way for you to tell when you're exactly opposite the little ledge, and you end up jumping to your death.

That and it's a scripted single player game, so once I've beaten it it'll be exactly the same as KotOR.

Hitometer: 53,596,453 since 1995