Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

w/ my system should I even bother?

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Brak, Sep 29, 2000.

1. Brak

Brak Unregistered

Thinking of getting D2 but was wondering if you all think it will run ok on my:
    6500 upgraded Sonnet G3/300 1MB L2 cache - 128 MB RAM - MacMagic 8MB voodoo1.

Whadayall think?

Brak

2. Keeksy

Keeksy Peasant

Market Rating:
    Meats requirements. [​IMG]

------------------
    keeksy \kekse\ adj : disgusting or repulsing -keeksiness \eness\ n

3. Keeksy

Keeksy Peasant

Market Rating:
    Dam! meat on the brain. MOOOOO!!!!!!

------------------
    keeksy \kekse\ adj : disgusting or repulsing -keeksiness \eness\ n

4. Prexis

Prexis Peasant

Market Rating:
    sounds like a fine system to me but I have seen it run on a 133 P2 system. It was slow as hell but the guy got his character to lvl 28 or something which seemed impossible at that speed. It was also at like 16 colors, I think you'll be fine [​IMG]

------------------
    Hi, I am new.... I am Billy Bob because I am a dumb Barbarian

5. well I have a g3@266 with a voodoo3 and 256mbs of ram and it runs fine even with out useing the voodoo card

6. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I think it would run fairly decent. You may need to tweak your graphics options though (turn off perspective, low light detail, etc.)

------------------
    lamo mac boy

7. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    Well, considering I'm running D2 on a Performa 6360 with a Sonnet G3/300, and it runs pretty well, I think you'll be fine.

------------------
    I say we nuke it from orbit... it's the only way to be sure. :D

8. Brak

Brak Unregistered

Well, thanks everybody, I went out and got it based on some of your feedback. Now I have some questions. The specs say VM is required, so I turn it on and crank the overall memory up to 172 (128 physical + 64 virtual). And in the preferred size box of the memory properties screen I took it from the default of 72000 to 82000. Is this about the right thing to do...should I is VM really needed...should I allocate more or less memory to the app?

Now this might be related to my memory settings but when I first start up a saved game (in the rouge encampment) I get this jerky hesitation type thing when moving around and it happens when fighting too. it's like every deveral seconds the game freezes up for 1-3 seconds. It gets smoother the longer I play, but never really gets super smooth. Any suggestions?

Brak

9. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    Diablo seems to run best for me if the music is turned off, and drag the music.mpg file from the play cd into your Diablo2 files folder. For some, this seems to work, including me. Turn off as many options as you can, or turn them down at least.
    It runs a little slow for me at times, but I do play well online and on my lan. It won't run as good as a B/W G3, but it runs well on my Performa w/ 108 ram. I have virtual memory up to 200, I'm not sure if it makes a difference. Blizzard does reccommend that your VM is set at least one meg higher than your physical memory.

------------------
    I say we nuke it from orbit... it's the only way to be sure. :D

10. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    I play on a "Pismo" 400 mhz, G3 PowerBook...
    - System 9
    - 192 Physical RAM
    - D2 is set to 128 megs allocated RAM
    - VM is turned off

And it plays fine...I do get the little hesitations for a few seconds after start up, but plays fina after that...except for laggy instances of Necro minions or tons of Sorceress spells

I did the complete 1.5 Gig install...and have been patched to 1.03c, but didn't do the music file thing from above...

[This message has been edited by Gilgamesh (edited 10-02-2000).]

Hitometer: 53,579,149 since 1995