Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Using VLC

Discussion in 'Mac' started by dapork, Dec 26, 2005.

1. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    I gave the VLC application to my step-dad, mom, and little sister, but it doesn-t seem to work for them as conveniently as it does with me. I play American, Italian, and Greek DVD's using either VLC or the Mac DVD player. Yesterday I tested VLC and it was able to play both an American DVD and an Italian one, neither of which worked on my step-dad's iBook. For the Italian one, the VLC movie window disappears after I pick anything from the DVD's main menu, and for the American one, it simply does not play, or it shows an error message.

Anyone know the tricks about how to use VLC for particular DVD's? And why would some things work for me and not for other people, who also have mac's with VLC.

Thanks for any help

2. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    I'm not big in that department, but I think it has to do with the DVD drive itself in your computer. Each drive has its locality determined in the firmware or something.

3. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Sounds like it might be a localization issue. Definitely a problem with the drive though.

4. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    most drives have region coding, there's region-free firmware available online with a bit of googling

Hitometer: 53,593,643 since 1995