Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Update

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by OsIriS, Feb 6, 2001.

1. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    Ok, for those of you that remember or know my situation.

So I get a new ethernet card (cause my built-in went cablooey) and the drivers are on some old 3.5" floppy (ok we all know what's wrong with that picture). So I go down to are S.T.A.R (Student Assisted something or other, basically a room with really nice machines in it G4's 21" monitors the works) and burn a copy of the drivers. Ok so the card is in, everything is set up...still nothing. Now I have to call support to find out if my jack is A) turned on and if so B) is it actually working. So hopefully this thing will work itself out sometime before I blow up the school or do something similarly drastic. :fist:

2. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    a) if you have static IPs, you'll have to get them to enter your MAC id into their list.

b) If the card's not working at all, try removing the Apple Enet drivers. I had a farallon card on a 6400 that wouldn't work until I did that...

3. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    No..it's most likely a problem with my wall jack...these things are notorious, believe me...squirrel's, shared lines, shorts, breaks, it's horrendous. I can't really know if it's my problem until they confirm their stuff is working correctly. I'll talk to them about the static IP as well, thanx for that tip

4. Vokbain

Vokbain Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Hmm, on my adsl, the system reads the number of the ethernet card, and uses that to decide who to give internet to. if i hook up a new compo, it wont get internet until i register the compo itself.

5. Vokbain

Vokbain Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Or you could just connect it to another compo, and see if it works at all.

6. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    ah...that way I can test to see if my shit is in order, and have something to say to those snooty guys down in the tech office (they don't like to hear that something is wrong).

7. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    Ok none of my roomates has a Mac so I need advice. Especially from those of you who go to LAN parties and link with PC's. I've heard talk about TCP/IP being the same protocol's and everything, but is there anything I need to do to link directly with a PC, that is from one ethernet card to the next, or is it pretty self explanatory. I'm going to call the UCIS (university computer and information service or whatever it stands for) and make an appointment for a tech to come up and check my wall jack, but I'd like to test out the card to see if I've configured it correctly. HELP :distress:

8. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    Depends on whether you're running Giga Ethernet or not. If it's just 10/100 Base-T, you'll need a crossover cable, available at any good electronics shop. Hook it up, then just ping the pc's IP with Anarchie.

Hitometer: 53,590,414 since 1995