Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

tumbleweed houses

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jakeman, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    I think my wife and I will end up living on a sailing catamaran in a few years when the kids are out of the house.

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    do like kevin costner in waterworld.

watch out for smokers though

3. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    Man, I definitely have a dream to do something similar. Probably 20-odd years away though...

4. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
  5. Jakeman

Market Rating:
  6. Jakeman

Market Rating:
  7. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
  8. Jakeman

Market Rating:
  9. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    You have a similar situation with the core2 versus the corei5:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-clarkdale-core-i5-661,2516-13.html

Basically new processors are performing better and consuming less power at the same time.

10. Jakeman

Market Rating:
  11. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    Forgot I had this stashed in my bookmarks. I'm sure you know much more about such a thing than I do, but I still found this a fascinating read: http://home.netcom.com/~jkb/mlcs/

12. BaleFire

BaleFire MSC Footman

Market Rating:
  13. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I haven't heard from the tortoise guy in a couple months. I think maybe he sucks at email. Fortunately I have been able to answer all of my own questions.

I now have a complete plan for moving into a tiny house off grid. I just need somewhere to park it. I am having trouble finding some one who will let me park a tiny house. I suspect this is because people don't trust my motivations. I find that people in general find it impossible to believe that I would do this to help the environment so they start looking for selfish motivations. The result is a total disconnect with anyone I try to ask. I am learning to give selfish reasons instead of the truth in order to avoid this disconnect. At least then people listen to me.

One option would be to move to a less dense area where there is such a thing as public land on the outskirts. I could park where no one would care that I am technically breaking the law. I think Jay Shafer did that at one point.

I am also disturbed at people who advise against me doing this for financial reasons. The vast majority of people seem to think that going green is prohibitively expensive. If going green is too expensive then you are doing it wrong. It should actually save you money. The key is to reduce your consumption, not try to support a consumptive lifestyle using green technologies.

I desire portability. Good suggestion though.

14. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Been looking for parking for 2 months. Nothing. I have exhausted my list of friends and other contacts. I even emailed the tiny house companies and asked if they knew of a parking space. Nothing.

Without a friend who will let me park I will likely have to move out of California if I want to do tiny house living.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  15. Jakeman

Market Rating:
  16. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    The cargo trailer guy talks about being stealthy such that people don't know you are living small. That might be the solution to my problems.

I am learning there is an entire subculture in the US that lives small and mobile and is very secretive about it. Society has laws against that kind of living so these people learn to stay below the radar. In my case I was trying to find some one to let me park which is legal. However, I have found that regardless of the law society as a whole rejects my tiny house idea which is making it very difficult to find parking. It doesn't matter that I am willing to pay rent. People in general just don't like my idea and don't want me on their property.

Of course there are trailer parks but they don't offer what I need. I need parking rent, that's all. Most trailer parks slap on utilities and other fees for things I don't need and then charge apartment rent for a simple parking space. I am discovering there is no such thing as long term off grid livable parking, not even on your own property because of laws against tiny living (otherwise I would have purchased land by now).

It's a shame that society drives these people underground, but it might be understandable. I am finding that most people who live like this are either survivalists or freeloaders. Survivalists are at odds with society and freeloaders aren't well liked. But a true environmentalist who wants to radically reduce his consumption and still contribute to society? I think I am alone in that regard so people group me in with the misfits and reject me on that basis.

Hitometer: 53,856,953 since 1995