Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

TTT movie/book differences - [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SpocKirk, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    They aren't main characters though. Characters that aren't crucial to the story are expendable and get worse equipment. It's the standard rule for television and movies. Just watch any episode of Star Trek and tell me if you think that ensign is going to live!! ;)

2. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    Do I have a last name? Do I? You don't even know!!! (Galaxy Quest)

3. Beeble

Beeble Peasant

Market Rating:
    Also see Austin Powers 3.....

4. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    From theonering.net...

I know this was pretty much a dead thread, but when I saw this quote I thought it appropriate.

5. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    after watching alot of the special features on the 4 disc cd of Fellowship, it gives you alot of insight into the minds of the crew. Everyone there obviously loves Tolkien and wanted to do their best to bring it to life with as much detail as possible.
    literally adapting the books is impossible. There were some changes made, but they make sense.
    And the heart and soul that has been put into these movies make it nearly impossible to criticize them at all. It seems wrong to nit pick them after seeing all the things they did, and all the things the crew went through to bring these films to life.

Sure a few things strayed from the book, and my biggest complaint is the deletion of the gift-giving sequence from the theatrical release, especially since it sets up things to come in the next movies (it sure explains why Gollum hates the rope, and how the cloaks hid Frodo and Sam, among other things), but at least it was put into the DVD. But by far the compliments outweigh the complaints and I am still blown away by the first two movies, esp Two Towers, which grabs you from the beginning and takes you on a journey far more perilous and exciting, and really leaves you waiting for the final showdown.

I think if Tolkien could see the movies himself he would approve. He would understand that alot of his work would be visually impossible to re-create and that the interpretation that Jackson and his crew made was done carefully and with alot of love and respect for Tolkien and his vision. And thats really all you can ask for.

6. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    Tolkien would approve but be disgusted by the fanatical fans. He might have been disapointed at the semi-hurried pace of the film though. After all one of the main themes of the book is the old slow pace of life vs the modern machine age. Still... Overall I think he'd be impressed.

My only real compliant about the movies so far was the Elves going to Helms deep. This did not happen in the book and actually added time to the movie; something that they keep trying to avoid by cutting scenes that actually happen in the book. Kind of shameful.

I too have seen the extra making of the film footage in the 4 disc set and I agree that it does make you understand and appreciated what they did.

7. SpocKirk

Market Rating:
    what's wrong with that? :suspect:

8. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    He didn't like how they took things too seriously and named children after characters, etc... He mentioned it on occasion.

9. SpocKirk

Market Rating:
    so.... he didn't comment about people dressing up in cloaks and figuring out name translations into Elvish? phew.

10. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    The cloaks he would probably think semi-odd but I'm certain he would admire research into different languages. He loved languages with a passion.

Personally I like cloaks. Clothing is somewhat boring today. We need capes and cloaks!!

11. SpocKirk

Market Rating:
    <-- wore a hand-made (partly by me) cloak to LotR:FotR and TTT

I still think that full-length leather trenchcoats are cool. I have thought that ever since I saw Highlander (the TV show)

12. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    :nod:

Lots of room to conceal swords and guns or just walk and have the coat tails flap in the wind. :D

13. Beeble

Beeble Peasant

Market Rating:
    Right but if you wear one you have to go killing people, don't forget. :rolleyes: Trenchcoats are very cool. Why'd those columbine losers have to go and ruin them for us?

14. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    Because they were selfish and don't like to share the joy of trenchcoats. Fortunately the Matrix lets us get away with it now.

15. Wran

Wran Peasant

Market Rating:
    Hey, you forgot about alt.wesley.die.die.die.die!!!

Wran

16. Wran

Wran Peasant

Market Rating:
    I didn't mind the elves at Helm's Deep--I actually liked it. I would rather eliminate time where Frodo and Sam are in Osgiliath in Gondor, and keep the purity of Faramir intact.

I am still hoping for a good speech by Faramir on the extended DVD for a bit of redemption. On the second viewing of the movie, I thought Sam gave a nice speech at the end of the movie. (My wife thought it was cheesy--about doing good etc. etc...)

Wran

17. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    My husband has a full length leather trenchcoat :drool: It's a brown duster style.

The first night I met him, he walked into the enlisted club wearing one, I about died. Talk about first impressions.

18. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    OMG... I'm getting one now. I'm always in search of a wife and need all the angles I can get. ...and well you know. They look awesome. ;)

19. Beeble

Beeble Peasant

Market Rating:
    they are so nice. I just hate the stereotype that's glued to them. if it weren't for that I'd have one.

20. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    It's more of a stereotype in the US than other countries though. It's sad how events can do such things.

Hitometer: 53,946,735 since 1995