Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

TTT movie/book differences - [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SpocKirk, Dec 19, 2002.

1. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    no shelob (moved to LotR:TRotK)

Aragorn death sequence

elves at Helm's Deep :wtf: (besides Legolas)

extra Arwen stuff

added comedy dialogue (make fun of short people :rolleyes: )

decrease in amount of gayness between Frodo and Sam

did I leave anything out? It's been a while since I read TTT.

Most of these changes don't affect the outcome of the movie. the Arwen stuff is not needed. the comedy always makes people look stupid. Legolas would be a few feet shorter if he had said that stuff to Gimli in the book.

The elves at Helm's Deep was kinda weird. the book shows the Elves abandoning the world in the face of danger. This explains the absence of the insults from the Riders about Galadriel (and the subsequent anger shown by Gimli), because the elven soldiers were welcomed in the battle.

2. aleldtritch

aleldtritch Peasant

Market Rating:
    The main problem I had was with Faramir. They made him out to be way different than I thought the book did. I know they didn't have alot of time to expand on his character, but they should have done a little more.

3. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    Whoa. I can't believe that they'd go so far as to change the movie that much... That's pathetic. The only elves should be Legolas and the sons of Elrond.

4. kraahl

kraahl Peasant

Market Rating:
    I thought Tolkien was a old christian homofob, do they really act gay in the books? I tend to forget a lot of details in books so i think I´m going to have to trust your word.

5. Wran

Wran Peasant

Market Rating:
    --Not mentioned yet, there are dozens of differences, some of the bigger ones:

1.Saruman invading Theoden's body and having to be expelled by Gandalf (Gandalf woke him up in the book, but didn't have to do an exorcism.)

2.Orcs from Mordor wanted to take Merry and Pippin because they wanted the prize to themselves, not because they wanted to eat the hobbits.

3.Ents DID want to attack Isengard after their council!! I did like the dam scene though.

4.No gunpowder bomb to break through outer gates of Helm's deep (OK I'll give him some liberties :).

5.Faramir doesn't take Frodo and the ring to Gondor!!!!! What a tragedy. The purity of Faramir in contrast to Boromir was the essence of his character. Ruined! Everything that happened after Frodo was taken is therefore created outside the book. They could have saved Faramir at the end when he lets Frodo go, but they didn't give him enough time to give a good speech or have a good conversation. There is still a little hope in the extended DVD...

Wran

6. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    Re: Re: TTT movie/book differences - [SPOILERS]

Tolkien was a master of the English language who taught at various schools of learning for many years. He fought during WWI and wrote his book of lost tales from these years all the way into WWII and beyond ....and thank you so much for insulting Christians everywhere with your comment. Just because many Christians tend to prefer the bodies natural way of doing things... It's their choice. If it were not for their many efforts, there would be millions more starving children in the world. Not to mention more street people suffering in the cold without charities. There are tons of non-christian ones around but most are religious in nature.

As to the gayness, they weren't gay but they do have a very intense friendship. If men crying and being friends the likes of something that people rarely see today is gay then I guess they must be. The friendship portraited in the book is merely a kind of friendship that used to be more common than it is today.

Really? This is almost the last straw. I'm not sure if I want to see the movie now. They take too many liberties with the story. They insist that they cut so many things due to time constraints and yet insert utter crap into the story... *sigh*

Last edited: Dec 19, 2002
  7. SpocKirk

Market Rating:
    Re: Re: TTT movie/book differences - [SPOILERS]

They aren't gay in the books, it's just something that would be taken as gayness if it was presented in this culture. Same thing as Bert and Ernie.

8. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    Re: Re: Re: TTT movie/book differences - [SPOILERS]

Yes, good example.

9. aleldtritch

aleldtritch Peasant

Market Rating:
    The blew up sections of the walls in Helm's Deep in the book.

And Faramir does take Frodo and Sam into Gondor, just not to the city they went to (the name fails me right now)...they take them to the falls where they first went in the movie.

10. kraahl

kraahl Peasant

Market Rating:

I´m sorry I did not mean it that way, I should, perhaps have said, christian and homofob instead of christian homofob. I did not say all christians run around with a fanatic glare in thier eyes shouting all homnosexuals will burn in the eternal flames of hell.
    What I meant was, JRR Tolkien was a product of his time, and thus his views on certain things differ from todays. I did not remeber Frodo and Sam "acting gay" in the books, but I guess I might´ve misunderstood spockirk and what he meant with it.
    I´m sorry if I´ve offened someone. But I still don´t agree to many of his wievs on things. That does not interfere with my admiration of his books. I read Orson Scott Card, he´s a mormon. I don´t agree with niether his opinions on homosexuality nor his opinions on US of A and it´s wars.
    I still enjoy his books.

And as for the church doing much charity work, that´s true. i don´t deny they do an important work. But they has also caused much evil, pain and suffering.
    I apoligize to Haite beforehand, but I despise catholisicm. Millions of people die from AIDS because the pope won´t allow condoms. And when pervert-priests molest children, the church tries to cover it up. It´s sick. These things make me really upset, among all religions I truly despise chatolisicm. No offense Haite this is not a personal attack and I hope can see the difference.

This did not turn out the way I thought it would. I´m sorry for offening anyone, that was not my intention.

11. kraahl

kraahl Peasant

Market Rating:

I think i understand.

12. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    Re: Re: Re: Re: TTT movie/book differences - [SPOILERS]

Meh. Don't worry about it. I'm just saying to make sure that you separate the two. (Christian and homophobes.) They're not always the same thing. ;) Which you mentioned in your second post. Thanks. I myself, don't really care for homosexuality but I treat them with dignity and respect. After all, you can like a person but not really care for something that they do. (My reasons for not liking it are that it's not the natural thing but mostly because it spreads diseases and causes medical problems.) These people deserve our respect no matter what and they have just as much worth as you or I. Nobody should degrade a person just because they're a homosexual, just as nobody should put down a person for not caring for that. It's their choice.

I agree. People have used the church, as they have many other organizations throughout the centuries for great evils. Also, like many governments, sometimes churches mistakenly hurt people when intending to do good. Although I would say that if they weren't having so much irresponisble sex, a good many people wouldn't be catching HIV and AIDS. This certainly doesn't excuse any harm done though. It's only one of many factors involved.

When you consider the time that he was born, it would be a little odd if he wasn't a Christian since the percentage was much higher at that time. I don't see him imprinting any of his Christian values intentionally into his writing though. If anything, I see his work as quite detacted from it. Tolkien himself stated that his work did not have any hidden meanings behind it and that it was merely his attempt to give England it's own legend and mythology. They had up until that point only had legends like King Arthur and the Greek Myths. The Arthurian legend was not entirely English based and most of England's true legends and tales were lost after the invasion of William the Conquerer.

It seems to be an attempt to invent an interesting an unique world that exists appart from our own and yet contains some very English touches too. After all, he was English and created the books partly for England.

So... Does Faramir actually lead Frodo into Mordor or does he merely take him to the waterfall like in the book? I'm not very keen on watching them butcher another piece of Tolkien's series...

13. aleldtritch

aleldtritch Peasant

Market Rating:
    They take them all the way to Osgiliath.

If you had problems with the first one becuase of inconsistencies from the book, then you'll like this one even less. It's a great movie, though, and what they do correctly, they do a hell of a job with.

edit- I assume you meant Gondor in your post...?

edit #2- can't spell

14. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    :confused:

15. aleldtritch

aleldtritch Peasant

Market Rating:
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TTT movie/book differences - [SPOILERS]

He doesn't lead them into Mordor at all, he just leads them further into Gondor.

16. Wran

Wran Peasant

Market Rating:
    Faramir says, "No (I cannot release you), the ring goes to Gondor," and they march out of the waterfall and head off to Osgilath in Gondor. He even uses some of the same quotes that Boromir and Denethor use when he complains about Faramir, but instead the war-mongering, greedy quotes come from Faramir's mouth!! He actually says (something like), "I will bring a great gift to Gondor." Sad.

With all of that said, I did still enjoy lots of the movie and it was fun watching a good deal of Tolkein come to life.

--Some missed highlights of tTT:

1.The look on Eomer's face when Aragorn tells him how far they have traveled on foot following the orcs.

2.Merry and Pippin goading the Mordor orc into thinking that they have the prize.

3.Sunlight filtering into Fanghorn, "For a moment, I almost liked this place." "Hmph, you almost like this place, you say," replied Fanghorn (or something like that) {This was a superior way of introducing Fanghorn over the contrived killing the orc in the movie.}

4.Pippin and Merry enjoying some draughts of the Ent brew (and growing up in size).

5.The nobility of Faramir. This Faramir doesn't deserve Eowyn :).

6.Upon the arrival of Aragorn and company, Pippin and Merry enjoying a feast after the fall of Isengard (still may come).

Some highlights that were in the movie:

1.An Eowyn/Eomer well done.
    2.Smeagol/Gollum/Slinker/Stinker Well done!
    3.The black gates of Mordor!
    4.The siege of Helm's Deep. (Nice machinery/ladders very cool.)
    5.The riders emerge from the keep of Rohan.
    6.Eomer's arrival at Helm's Deep.
    7.The storming of Isengard.
    8.Release of the dam to quench the fires of Isengard.

Summary--much of the action was great. Not enough time on character development...

Wran

17. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TTT movie/book differences - [SPOILERS]

I thought somebody said Mordor. My bad. I still like the book far more. Less painful to experience.

18. BaleFire

BaleFire MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    They did change a bunch of stuff, but it was still a really good movie, and plus, im guessing a most of the stuff they left out was actually filmed, they just didnt want the movie to be 6 hours long (I know i would have enjoyed it, but apperently the marketing people say that most people wouldnt have...) so it will be in the dvd most likely.

Also, didnt they skip merry or pippen (forget which) finding the palentir?

19. Draco_Auric

Draco_Auric Peasant

Market Rating:

Bastards! :p

20. SpocKirk

Market Rating:
    this makes it look as though Sauron and Saruman are still working together. A big problem.

I went to see it again last night. I noticed/remembered a few more things.

Frodo, Sam, and Gollum travelling in the day. Gollum has been under the mountain for 500 years, he doesn't like the sun. He barely tolerates the moon.

Gimli gets ahead on the deathcount because Legolas runs out of arrows. In the movie, he has a bottomless quiver

WHY IS BJORK SINGING THE SONG FOR THE CREDITS???!!!???

this bothered me more this time. It shows the friendship between Legolamb and Giblet better than in the movie. It shows Gimli appreciating the elves and eventually leads to the trading experiences (Legolas goes to the caves at Helm's Deep and Gimli wants to go to Legolas' forest)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2002

Hitometer: 53,943,679 since 1995