Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Too bad...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Haite, Jun 2, 2002.

1. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    and no one's born with faith are they? there's no way of knowing anything about god without being brainwashed (not necessarily in a negative way) by someone else. there's no way of looking at the world to know of god.
    aarrrgg i'm not sure where i wanna get to, but i know this means something. jake, take it to the next lvl for me.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2002
  2. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Humans create religion. There's always a God. In every culture, there has been a God. Isolated tribes, they all have a God. It's a way of explaining your existance.

Before science there was only God. What else? If there's a piano, there has to be a piano maker, right? But with the advent of science now we can say that there isn't a God and that the universe created itself. Which really, doesn't make sense. How can something create itself from nothing? The only explanation is that the universe has always existed or that there is some sort of supernatural being that created it. But then you say, where did this being come from? Maybe it's not a being. We think of God as a humanlike entity because our feeble human minds can't comprehend infinity. We can only describe things with what we know. How can we describe an omnipotent entity that has always existed with what we know? We can't. And neither can we explain the creation of the Universe from an atheist's point of view.

We can argue forever, but I don't think we'll ever find the answer. It's just too far above us.

3. Mentosman24

Mentosman24 Peasant

Market Rating:
    I'm trying to figure out how this thread changed topics so rapidly...we went from a dead guy to a religious debate...DAMN! :D

4. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    those are both possibilities, but they are not the only possible explanations by any means. that is still not conclusive either way.

5. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    I didn't say it was.

6. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    yes, we could argue forever... howbout we all kill ourselves to find out who's right? :D. what's more likely, and what makes more sense is an opinion. i perosnally believe the universe always existed, and in it's own way is god, it is too great for our feeble minds to comprehend. because it IS infinite, i mean that after our universe there's another, and then the cosmos, and so on. why would rules of physics change if someone just kept on going straight out into space passing through many universes? there's no wall to stop the person. early people created god since they were so lost in the dark of the world. people gain experience over time right? and they should therefore become smarter. over time, more and more people lose the belief in god due to rational thinking. people were afraid of the unknown, so they created religion and god to make them feel like someone was watching over them, so they no longer felt lost. but we are no longer lost. we know what's out there. we no longer need god as a subsitute to knowledge. everyday, things we discover (science) make god less likely to exist. eventually, we will be able to comprehend such great things. howcome people are so sure that the god they created exists, when they really know nothing about it, and can't describe it. a piano is not natural, so it requires a piano maker. caves are created by erosion or water. they aren't entities, they're elements. no you're saying god may not be an entity, he may just be the universe right? maybe everyone actually believes the same thing, just that atheists call it the universe, and religious people call it god...

7. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Actually the whole time I was just disproving your thing about infinite power.

--Haite

8. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    I believe in evolution and I believe in deistic creationism, they don't conflict. The big bang, I believe, did happen. What happened before the big bang? I guess the only explanation is God happened.

--Haite

9. Mentosman24

Mentosman24 Peasant

Market Rating:
    I believe that paper mache and teabags were responsible for the creation of the wheel, don't ask why, it was just that way.

10. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Actually, the more scientists study astrology and biology the more life suggests that there is a being that designed life. Have you ever studied the body in great detail? It's incredible the way everything is so complicated yet so efficient, it all works together. To believe that it was a result of random events is hard for me to believe.

Astrologists are also discovering that life on other planets is less likely than they really thought. Everything about our solar system and Earth's placement is perfect for life. It's like it was designed...

11. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    42!!

12. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Astrologers are what Miss Cleo is :nya:. I think you mean astronomers.

--Haite

13. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    :retard:

14. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    i did, cos it isn't. that was my first point in this thread... arguing is futile.

you haven't disproved it. it's not possible to disprove such a basic fact. absolute power is not possible. therefore, most people's definition of god is not correct.

15. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    *sigh*

Is this like something deeper about your definition of knowledge? Since otherwise I did disprove it... It doesn't prove anything about absolute power at all... It assumes the limitations of physics.

--Haite

16. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    your standard for knowledge is different. simple.

17. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    no, it's not.

//edit: yes it is.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2002
  18. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    I'm open to your elaboration... If you're just going to cry "standard of knowledge" until you're blue in the face then that's pretty pointless.

Our universe has finite limits. Outside of our universe, no object can be defined in our terms. It's that simple.

--Haite

19. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    linkage plz :nya:

20. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Stephen Hawking's books aren't available online, but if you can check a copy of The Universe in a Nutshell out of a library, that'll help.

--Haite

Hitometer: 53,943,864 since 1995