Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Time Travel

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SpocKirk, Apr 25, 2001.

1. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    No, too lazy to type all that out. :D

2. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    perverts, all of you!!

3. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Unless I invent warp drive :p. You guys watch, I'll spend college rolling through physics books and change the world at 25.

--Haite

4. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    it's all about folding space and slip stream conduits. :D

5. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    Trek Rules! :D

6. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    The Quantum Slipstream Drive, just saying it makes me shiver :D.

--Haite

7. Kaeric

Kaeric Peasant

Market Rating:
    for all you who think that time travel and teleportation are impossible. First off i agree that time travel IS impossible. But teleportation is not. In fact it has already been done....just on a very small scale. In some laboratory (dont remember where) they have successfully monitored two atoms. They have watched atom #1 and watched atom #2. Some how they have managed to make these atoms exchange electrons. Now if i remember correctly this make atom #1 an ion. (probably wrong) but anyway, the electron moved instantanious from atom #1 to atom #2 without having any connection to atom #2. Thus teleportation. This doesnt mean that it is possible for a human to teleport from one place to another. But it is a step in that direction. THERE YOU GO. STOP MAKING FUN OF STARTREK...er....um...never mind, go ahead. Ive never watched it. ;-) Sorry Sparhawk

Last edited: May 6, 2001
  8. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    The problem with teleportation is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, which states that at any given time you can determine either a particle's position or its momentum, but not both at the same time. The Star Trek concept of teleportation (i.e. conversion of matter into energy and then back into matter) is probably impossible because of that, since you would need to know both to do it. Of course, the Star Trek transporter has a device called the Heisenberg compensator that takes care of all that. ;)

However, Kaeric is correct that "teleportation" has been done on a quantum level. There is a way around Heisenberg that has to do with the way that particles interact. If you let two particles A and B become "intimate" with each other, they become "twins" such that what you do to one happens to the other, even after they are separated. In other words, if you put A and B on opposite sides of the room, and then impart some force on A, the same force acts on B even though you didn't directly do anything to B. Don't ask me why, it's one of those weird things about quantum physics. Anyway, say I have done this, and now I put particle C (my teleporting subject) in with particle A. Because A and B are twins, I can do something to A that causes it to "transmit" the information about particle C across the room to B. In the process, A and C are destroyed, and B is converted into an exact copy of C. Thus, C has been "teleported" across the room.

I am no particle physicist, and I forget the exact mechanics of how this is done. There is a good chance I mangled this explanation, but I think I got the gist of it. Whether or not this process can be used to teleport large objects is something that is far into the future, but it's fun to think about. :)

9. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    err if that happens like that, wouldn't you end up with 2 c's?... hmmm insta-clone...

10. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    oooo! This is cool stuff! So now that we can teleport letters of the alphabet when are we going to do people? :retard: :D

11. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Um, no...

:D

12. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    They convert the matter into energy on star trek and then transport it in wave form which is then reconverted into matter at the destination.

1) Converting matter into pure energy would require a matter-antimatter colision, destroying the subject.

2) I don't think it's possible to convert energy back into matter, although perhaps waves are made up of elementary particles similiar to quarks, and a conversion may be possible.

In reference to the teleportation that has been done, I've heard of that myself from a third party source, so I don't know much detail, but supposedly the information required to independantly target an atom is significant enough that no current computer would be able to analyze and catelogue every atom in the human body at once. Though human advance in the 21st century is predicted to be many times greater then it was in the twentieth. Of course they could always just write a program with altivec code and have G4's do all the data crunching :D.

--Haite

13. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    from what I heard, subatomic particles (quarks, the absolute smallest building blocks) are always randomly transporting. As it is often phrased, "they move from one point in space to another location without traversing the area between those two points." I guess if these subatomic particles can transport than all we have to do is find out a way to apply this naturally occuring phenomenon to the larger scale. Simple... just watch out for those weird crawly worm thingies that float around in the transport buffer and squirm up to you and bite your arm in mid transport. Them things are nasty. :D

14. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    yeah- if you tried to teleport, then you would be destroyed and an exact copy of you would appear a the destination point, but your friends on the other side would see the new you and wouldnt be able to tell the difference. SO: since all the atoms are the same, the new you would have all your memories (which are just patterns of chemicals anyway) and would be indistinguishable from you.- in teleporting, you would be SOL.

15. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    you seen the movie "6th day"? Hmmm, I think that's the name of it. What you said about yourself being destroyed and a new "different" you replacing you reminded me of that movie.

Hitometer: 53,597,271 since 1995