Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Time Travel

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SpocKirk, Apr 25, 2001.

1. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
  2. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    how disappointing, I post, come back a few days later, and no replies dangit!!!!!! Wheat cup with that!!??

3. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    moo?... Oh noOOOO I caught cows disease... augghhhhhh

4. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    I personally don't like it when people start dissecting a movie and telling me how nothing in it is possible. It takes away from the enjoyment.

5. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Interesting theories on time travel at that website. Most of them are "wrong," in that they do not fit the widely accepted model. (But then, time travel is only theoretical anyway, so who really knows what is "right" and "wrong.") The currently accepted theory is that you cannot change the past by travelling back in time. Say you are 50 years old and you want to go back and tell your 16-year-old self not to drop out of school or whatever. Well, if your 50-year-old self did not come to visit you when you were 16, then it's not possible. In other words, if he didn't, then you can't. Get it?

Recommended reading: "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking.

6. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    Timetravel works like this:

If you do, in fact, manage to go back in time and kill your father or something, then a paradox is created, right? WRONG!

According to the Law of Multiple Universes, every change in any universe spawns off another universe to accomodate the change, i.e. if an electron on a molecule changes orbits, a new universe is created. SO, that means that there is a universe for EVERY outcome of an event possible. There is a universe where 50 extra glucose molecules are in my blood. there is one where 51 extras are there. there is one for 50 glucoses and 1 glucose with no H atoms in it! basically this means that there are an infinite # of universes, and also because of that, an infinite # of possible outcomes- and so, in some parallel universe, Kerrigan is torturing the poor Protoss as the Humans try to kill everything they see. And in another, Diablo exists. And in yet another, Diablo is the lord of goodness nad Tyreal is a demon... get my drift?

Basically this means that if you go back in time you merely change the universe you are heading towards. If you do, in fact, kill your father, then you will becone an observer as the new universe unfolds, sans Daddy. You yourself do not die, because you originated from a universe where your father was still alive to marry your mom. But, unfortunately, by going back in time you changed the path of universes you are going through and therefore now exist in the one where you killed Pops, and you cease to exist in your original universe.

So consequently it is impossible to go back 1 minute in time and see yourself in the same universe, because you cease to exist in your parent universe and now exist in a new universe with a different You, who may not have your exact same thoughts or memories. and you positively can't write letters to yourself (the You who existed before you started Timetravelling) and bury them in the past, because this puts you and your destination You in different universes.

Does anyone actually understand what I said?

7. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yes, but in that case you aren't travelling through time so much as through universes correct...in which case time travel is actually not possible, anyway there will always be these movie/technology/science buffs, and they will continue to try and make fiction real, or to debunk it in for the sake of real..this is really troublesome for sci-fi where you are trying to explain away technology or theories that have little or no grounding in actual real time...oh well everyone needs hobbies.

8. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    it's called Theoretical Physics, and it is a real science. Besides, all those sci-fi shows are so stupid- LASERS DONT MAKE SOUND!!! THERES NO AIR TO MAKE SOUNDWAVES!!!

9. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    and how boring would it be to have a lightshow without sound?
    We've become a society where reality is shunned in favor of an experience that engages as many senses as possible.

next up, smellovision.
    I wonder what laser fried wombat smells like?

not even going to bring up the question of how something so inherently theoretical can indeed be "real". :D

what is reality anyway?

10. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Ever seen flaming debris in space after an explosion?

11. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    This is a fallacy, I think. If this were true, then there would be universes in which things are possible which defy the universe's own laws. (ie perpetual motion in a universe with follows the law of thermodynamics). I think any universe would have to be self-consistent, or it would naturally cease to exist.

As well, since there are no independent frames of reference in a universe, once you enter that universe you become subject to its laws. Causality is preserved in the case of the paradox mentioned because you exist in as a point in spacetime once you enter a particular universe. If you were unlucky enough to enter a universe where you were never born, you'd be pretty much SOL.

12. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Well, there is a theory in quantum mechanics about alternate universes. If you know anything about quantum physics, you know it's all about probabilities. Particles tend to show up where they are most probable to show up. Different "quantum realities" would behave the same way. You could say that our universe is the "most probable" reality, whereas a universe where the dinosaurs never went extinct is a low probability, but technically possible. That being said, I would think that Sparhawk is correct when he says that fundamental physical laws would hold from universe to universe. There would not, for example, be a universe where the law of gravity was not in effect, since that universe would have no cohesion. You would say that universe has a probabilty of zero.

Wasn't there a Star Trek:TNG episode about this sort of thing? Worf was hopping around all over the place, he was married to Deanna in one of the realities? (I'd like to have that reality myself.) Also, the series "Sliders" is aloing these lines, although I think it sucks as sci-fi shows go.

13. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    A little bit off there. I said they'd have to be self-consistent, meaning that within a universe things that violate that universe's fundamental laws cannot exist. There's a difference between saying that and saying that the laws hold from universe to universe. There might be a universe where the gravitational constant is larger than ours, or a universe where the speed of light is the minimum for that spacetime continuum rather than the maximum.

14. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    Even if the "Time Travel" element of these movies is flawed, a lot of them are enjoyable none-the-less. Take Timecop for example. ;)

15. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Ah I see. Just my thoughts: You're probably right to point. I still think that fundamental laws will hold from universe to universe. To use your example about thermodynamics, I would think that they would always hold no matter where you are. True, the physical constants may differ from universe to universe, but there will always be entropy, perpetual motion will never be possible.

Oh, and the speed of light is not a "maximum" even in our universe. It's a barrier. Matter cannot physically travel at the speed of light, because the resulting inertia would necessitate an infinite energy expenditure, which is impossible. But, there is evidence that there are forms of energy that do travel faster than light. But it's a barrier to those as well, since they cannot come below light speed.

Again, all theoretical. Maybe we'll find out the truth when we die.

16. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    You only like Timecop because Mia Sara gets naked. :D

(Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

17. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    Is there any other reason to like Timecop? Did I miss something? :D

18. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    TIME COP OWNZ JOOZ!

19. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    Heh. you just like the part where JCVD does the splits on the counter in the kitchen. Biatch! :D

20. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    JCVD? It seems to me that only someone obsessed with Jean-Claude Van Damme would refer to him in such a way. hmmm :suspect: :D

Hitometer: 53,585,117 since 1995