Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Thoughts on Windows XP

Discussion in 'Mac' started by Moose, Sep 24, 2001.

1. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    Shouldn't that be 'no lube for joo'? :laugh:

"Hurry up, quick. I can do it quick like a man." - Quote I overheard on the TV last night for a movie or some other 'opening soon'... :D :hump: :dance:

2. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    You generally have to have admin privs to run games on 2k, it can mess with writing to places that you don't have access normally, like saving files inside it's "Program Files" subfolder, which is restricted.

--Haite

3. XWRed1

XWRed1 Peasant

Market Rating:
    This is why the default account that is created for you when you install XP or Win2k is a member of the administrator group... similar to what OSX does.

After you install XP, you have 14 days before you *have* to activate it with Microsoft. That should be enough time to guage performance on each machine.

IMHO, putting it on your laptop would minimize WPA hassles because laptop hardware is fairly static compared to hardware that could be in constant upgrade flux in your desktop.

The upgrade flux is the biggest grip MaxPC has with XP, I would expect (haven't read the article), and of course the unspoken reason of being harder to pirate.

For what its worth, I dropped my MaxPC subscription after 2 years because the content kept getting more and more meager, and seemed to be scraping it more and more often off of internet sites. They didn't seem too hot on Win2k vs. Win98 either. Thats a mark against them, because there is no question which one of those OSes is the better one.

4. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    I forgot about the 14 day thing. I figure that if I break down and get it, I will do my homework first and see if i can obtain a crack program first so I can install it on both machines. If I can get one I may purchase it, if I can't, I will have to see what I have around the house. I know I have win2K professional and win98 (not sure if it is SE but think it is. OEM).

5. Grizzly

Grizzly Peasant

Market Rating:
    There are cracks for WinXP, but they require a bit of work. I'll PM you a link if Jakeman doesn't mind.

But since you have Win2k, I highly suggest you stay with that and avoid the WPA hassle. The less sales Microsoft gets, the better.

6. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    what jake doesn't know can't hurt him. though since i am the site admin i must object to you doing anything like that. :rolleyes:

*me turns around and whistles*

7. Grizzly

Grizzly Peasant

Market Rating:
    http://www.extremetech.com/print_article/0,3428,a%3D2473,00.asp

8. Grizzly

Grizzly Peasant

Market Rating:
    Doing anything like what? Crack? I'm sorry, that's not in my vocabulary. :angel:

9. XWRed1

XWRed1 Peasant

Market Rating:
    The original comment, that made me want to see the article, was:

I figured you'd show me something about how networking and security policies were significantly worse than previous NT iterations, and more cumbersome for the users.

I've actually read this article before. I didn't reread it this time, but I skimmed it to see if it had what I just mentioned. I didn't see it, and I don't remember any significant gripes by the extremetech people over how things work.

If you're coming from Win9x, and you are annoyed at how things work now, you are just lame.

If you are coming from NT, its natural and obvious.

10. charlybrown

charlybrown Peasant

Market Rating:
    don't even want to think about their product.

I'm using windows 2000 which is a version of windows NT which is not a originla product of MS. works better than original products of MS which includes things like ME, 98, etc...

11. Grizzly

Grizzly Peasant

Market Rating:
    Sorry, I didn't read the article, I just found the post by another person and he said something about security.

Hitometer: 53,587,345 since 1995